Congratulations on RC7 Release!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Gunsmith

Re: Congratulations on RC7 Release!

Post by Gunsmith »

It's a tough mix of feelings for me. On one hand, I've been awaiting the gold release to an insane degree [.. 'course, who hasn't here.] But, there's still enough to be addressed, I can agree on the need for another RC.

Still; there will be a limit to how many RC(s) there can feasibly be. A bug-less software is virtually impossible, after all. So I don't think it's too far-fetched to picture RC8, perhaps 9 or 10 to be the true "final" RC(s).

Otherwise, we should change the software's name to phpBB RC. XD
spline888

Post by spline888 »

I saw this in the change log for RC7:

[Feature] Added completely new hook system to allow better application/mod integration - see docs/hook_system.html
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=585093

I was surprised to read that what sounds as a fundamental and important system integration API is introduced in a late release candidate version, is this true?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes, it is true, and was discussed at area51 :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Captain Tycoon

Post by Captain Tycoon »

Is there a predicted date of the Gold Release?
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Captain Tycoon wrote:Is there a predicted date of the Gold Release?
yes.

When its ready :) not a day before.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
cprice12

Post by cprice12 »

ChrisRLG wrote:
Captain Tycoon wrote:Is there a predicted date of the Gold Release?
yes.

When its ready :) not a day before.
You do know that you guys are allowed to release new versions AFTER it goes gold, right?

How many release candidates were there before 2.0 went gold?

I, along with everyone else, really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into this...but come on already.
Let's Go Blues Hockey!
http://www.letsgoblues.com
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

cprice12 wrote:You do know that you guys are allowed to release new versions AFTER it goes gold, right?

I, along with everyone else, really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into this...but come on already.
Why does it matter to you whether a version is labeled gold or RC8? If it's not been gold released there's a reason for it - it's not ready, and naming something a gold release only to have a version 3.0.1 released within a few short days would be quite annoying in my opinion. Better to iron out most of the bugs before the actual stable release, rather than after, which is why phpBB3 was released as RC7 rather than 3.0.6 :)
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
cprice12

Post by cprice12 »

dellsystem wrote:
cprice12 wrote:You do know that you guys are allowed to release new versions AFTER it goes gold, right?

Why does it matter to you whether a version is labeled gold or RC8? If it's not been gold released there's a reason for it - it's not ready, and naming something a gold release only to have a version 3.0.1 released within a few short days would be quite annoying in my opinion. Better to iron out most of the bugs before the actual stable release, rather than after, which is why phpBB3 was released as RC7 rather than 3.0.6 :)
It's like you guys want it to be perfect and completely bug free, which it will never be, everyone knows this.
Hell, how many years was 2.x out, and they were still updating it and releasing new versions up until recently.

I think you'll annoy more people if it takes a year or longer to FINALLY release gold, and then when the first update comes out a month or two later, people are like...WTF? We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited and it STILL wasn't perfect? Why? What were we waiting for?

It's like waiting and waiting to buy your first computer because you want to wait for the technology to improve and the price to go down on that technology, but it constantly gets improved and new stuff keeps coming out and there is no end to it...you gotta jump on the boat sometime.

But hey, if you're telling me that it's going to be absolutely perfect and bug free when it is finally released in February or whenever, then fine. It will be worth the wait.

Look...I love the software and I honetly appreciate the effort by everyone involved, because without them, we wouldn't have phpbb...but on the other hand, without the people that install and use phpbb, we also wouldn't have phpbb. But like I said before...come on already. :)
Let's Go Blues Hockey!
http://www.letsgoblues.com
ziggyboy

Post by ziggyboy »

dellsystem wrote:

I for one agree with cprice12. Software will ALWAYS have bugs, every software developer knows that, and in reality no software will deserve the title "stable"...ever. We are just unfortunate to have obsessive compulsive developers for phpbb.

Remember Debian Woody? That was a serious joke. During the whole duration of their "ironing out stage", other distributions were using current versions on enterprise machines...and being used by banks and government offices. Now I don't know what the target audience for Woody was. Were they developing Woody for NASA space shuttles? Cuz they sure as hell weren't developing it for themselves...as most of them were either old-school bearded computer hippies or jobless fresh graduates with 4.0 GPAs.
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

Obsessive-compulsive is a bit harsh ... I'm sure the developers know that nothing will ever be bug-free. Still, better to at least strive for excellence than to just resign and release it as-is, no? phpBB is being worked on by a dedicated group of developers who as far as I know are more interested in producing a quality product than giving it a certain name and dealing with the negative feedback that comes with that. As I said, better to iron out most of the bugs before it's certified gold, rather than just leaving them in there and releasing it as gold anyway. Still progress is being made, and phpBB3 gets closer to culmination each day 8-)
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
andinator

Post by andinator »

i would welcome it, if there were really no (known) bugs when phpbb3 gets gold, everything else is crap.
Witchy65

Post by Witchy65 »

Hello .. I'm very New to phpbb ... but awesome work so far guys and girls .. to be truthful i don't care how many Rc's come out i will just update and a saying comes to mind .. we never stop learning .. from day to day from week to week so on and so on .. we never stop learning til the day we die and even then its a new learning curve .
These people put a lot of time and effort into what they do .. and so what if they get donations ... that imo is not what counts here .. stop been so closed minded and as has been said before if you can do better .. stepup .. i am pleased with everything i have learnt so far and all the great releases i had added to my site .. THANK YOU TO BOTH STAFF AND WRITERS ..... Witchy
don-vip

Post by don-vip »

dellsystem wrote:and phpBB3 gets closer to culmination each day 8-)
Almost each day... According to area51, no change has been made between 11-19 and 11-26 :mrgreen:
Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon »

I am sure even robots.... errr ... that is, developers need a day of rest too.
Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.
dlt123

Post by dlt123 »

Witchy65 wrote:Hello .. I'm very New to phpbb ... but awesome work so far guys and girls .. to be truthful i don't care how many Rc's come out i will just update and a saying comes to mind .. we never stop learning .. from day to day from week to week so on and so on .. we never stop learning til the day we die and even then its a new learning curve .
These people put a lot of time and effort into what they do .. and so what if they get donations ... that imo is not what counts here .. stop been so closed minded and as has been said before if you can do better .. stepup .. i am pleased with everything i have learnt so far and all the great releases i had added to my site .. THANK YOU TO BOTH STAFF AND WRITERS ..... Witchy
Yep, I don't mind waiting... The developers are doing a great job and I appreciate all their efforts. Their used to be a wine commercial that stated... "We'll never release our wine before its time" or something like that. Sounds like developers here are following suit. I don't mind waiting till they say it's done.

Thanks again for all the dedication and hard work people.
Dennis

Return to “phpBB Discussion”