Using phpBB core

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
RogueKamikazee

Using phpBB core

Post by RogueKamikazee » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Hey,

Rather than using drupal or wordpress, I decided to create my own CMS based on the RC7 core. The only functionality im using is the database ($db), templating, login (with only 1 account) and bbcode.

I know the license is GPLv2, and I've never really understood the ability to modify part and distribution thereof. (ie do i have to distribute my code verbatim?)

I've mentioned the code base is from phpbbv3 olympus in my 'about' page (inc linkage), do i need to put anymore information in there? is there a problem with stripping ucp.php of everything but the login/logout code (or any of the other files for that matter) ?

The site has not been deployed yet and is still on my dev server.
Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked

dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Re: Using phpBB core

Post by dellsystem » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:07 pm

GPL just means that you can do what you want with it with very few restrictions. If you want to create a CMS around phpBB3 you're by all means allowed to, even if you don't link back to phpBB or anything. If, however, you want to try and sell your code, you have to 1) leave the copyright within the files intact and 2) give your users the same freedom you got. ie you can sell it, but you can't prevent your users from distributing it for free or forking it themselves.

If you don't want to distribute your code that's fine as well - you don't need to. You get a lot of freedoms with open source software.

It's a very beautiful concept :D
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”