magic seo url ? any good ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
mrix2000

magic seo url ? any good ?

Post by mrix2000 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello all, I was surfing the net for phpbb3 seo tips and found this site
http://www.magic-seo-url.com/phpbb3/
is this any good ? does anyone here use it ?
Cheers
mrix

davidgid

Re: magic seo url ? any good ?

Post by davidgid » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:26 am

I have not tried it, but I am not sure that I would. I mean, PHPBB3 is still a release candidate. There is no telling if changes will be made to the code base that will be incompatible with the seo url mod. I am sure at some point everything they offer will be available as a mod for free anyway, which is way better than $89 usd.

It is up to you. If you do buy it let us see it running on your site. I would like to see how they rewrite the urls.
I am using 3.0.4 on the babywearing forum. We also run a shop were we sell baby slings and other baby carriers.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 am

I can’t make a claim to it’s quality, but I had to chuckle at a few of their *features*:
Does not break phpBB3 MODs or EasyMOD compatibility!
Really? I didn’t know we had EasyMOD for phpBB3. :roll:

At $89, its hard to say, I know there are several *free* SEO URL MODs out there, unless you can see the worth over the others. -- I don’t want to discourage you from buying it, but because of the price, I would do your homework, see if you can find a demo of it, try it out, try some of the others out and decide based on that.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:30 am

Personally, I wouldn't use any mod that drastically mangles the URL's such as injecting keywords into the URL. These don't account for much anyway SEO wise. For example I used the able2know mod for phpbb2 which is no longer supported, had a simple url structure. about<topicid>.html Switching to the simple rewrite mod for phpbb3 from the same authors that they are compring the pay for version was easy painless, added the zero duplicates mod which redirects all incomng requests for phpbb based URL's and that's all you need.

If that software company goes down the tubes or doesn't support it for future releases of phpbb you're going to have a mess on your hands.

I wouldn't use any of them if phpbb handled the duplicates better... ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Avaya

Post by Avaya » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:56 pm

I'd save your $89 if I were you. As has already been pointed out, the gold version of the software hasn't been released yet, so who knows what will happen between now and then. There is always the chance that your $89 software won't function on the new release.

Plus the mod writers are very good and very proficient. Given even time, a SEO mod may find it's way on to your desktop at some point :geek:
My website: SixSeventyOne.net
Get the best! Browse with Image

dcz

Post by dcz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:13 am

thecoalman wrote:Personally, I wouldn't use any mod that drastically mangles the URL's such as injecting keywords into the URL. These don't account for much anyway SEO wise.
Relevant keywords in URL do matter, the problem is how to maintain the quality and relevancy. It can be pretty hard to maintain a good topic title quality on a forum, but, it really depends on what do you use your forum for. A simple / static rewriting can be good, even better than title injection in some cases, but, chances are great that some title injection in forum URLs will help, since the admin is the one to chose the forum titles, he can chose good ones.
With some mod rewrite, the admin can even chose the exact keywords to use in forum URLs, and to get rid of forum ids : this-is-a-forum-title-txx/ vs relevant-keyword/
When such optimization serves relevancy, they accomplish both better ranking and user friendliness.

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 am

dcz wrote:
thecoalman wrote:Personally, I wouldn't use any mod that drastically mangles the URL's such as injecting keywords into the URL. These don't account for much anyway SEO wise.
Relevant keywords in URL do matter,
The general consensus I've gathered from most SEO sites is that it is not all that important. I'm not saying it isn't a factor but in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively minor tweak.

Having said that it will become nightmare to manage in the future if for example the mod author decides to no longer support the mod.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

dcz

Post by dcz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Well I must disagree here.
Problem is, it's something pretty hard to prove straight, since the only way (expect if you are working at Google for example) would be to compare two pages with the exact same ranking (more than PR) and content with two different urls. Experimenting on this directly is tricky because, two pages likes this would most likely suffer from some penalization since they would have the same content, pretty much the same dilemma as per quantum physics actually, when the way we measure things alters the experiment.

But, there are good signs about that. For example, the fact Google will as well highlight the matching keywords in the url of the results proposed in the SERP (if any of course) shows that the information is used, and thus most likely is participating to the weight of the keyword in the page. From this, it's far from crazy to think that the weight given to the matching keywords in the URL could be more important than the same keyword being present once in the page's content, just like for page titles.

Would actually be pretty logical. But, since all this is dealing with optimization, thus optimization of something (here it's content), there is just now way that implementing such optimization could be enough in itself.
Just like for the page title, it's not enough to build serp in itself, and a page title can even be counter productive if the keywords used are not descriptive of the content, but it does matter a lot.
To me, it's essentially the same with keywords in url, can be bad or wrong mostly depending on the relevancy. The main difference is that it would really not be a good idea to use title without any human keywords, like for an unrewritten url.

Url with good and relevant keywords will have a greater impact, I'm convinced about it, and a web site running a good quality keywords (in average) in all urls will benefit from all this tiny bits grabbed through the url of each page and will most likely go up in SERP faster.

Another thing that can matter is, every time the url will be displayed on a page, it will have keywords. It's even more obvious in a forum, when user will post URLs directly without building a nice bbcode link. There is no doubt in my mind that : http://www.example.com/talking-about-this-txx.html is more efficient than http://www.example.com/viewtopic.php?t=xx
Users will know more about the topic linked, and so will bots, since the href link will contain keywords. Keywords that will be present in the page where the link is posted and associated to the target page. Of course, it goes both ways, keywords can be very bad and mean nothing both for bots and human, but this is another matter.

So again, it's all a matter of quality and relevancy, so I agree that keyword in url are far from always good, but, yes they make some difference.
With a forum, if topic title is not always good to use in url in many cases, it's not necessarily the case with forum ones. Using them as virtual directories in url can really have a positive impact : http://www.example.com/phpbb2-support/topicxx.html and http://www.example.com/phpbb3-support/topicyy.html can really be handy for user and SEO useful IMHO.

But http://www.example.com/the-super-nice-f ... picxx.html would of course not be comparable, it's all matter of equilibrium and common sens.

Now talking about mod authors and the long run, well, that's why I though a whole community would be better than just a thread or too for SEO, but, we're running of topic.

++

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:58 am

dcz wrote: Problem is, it's something pretty hard to prove straight,
Well I think that's the gist of it DCZ, no one really knows except for maybe a handful of Google engineers. Having said that I'll reiterate having read many posts on the topic that overall it's not that important.

It ceratainly can't hurt to do it but going back to my original post the issue that arises is maintaining those URL's in the future. Once you do it you're locking yourself into a scheme for future releases of phpbb, if you don't have the knowledge to modify them yourself you may want to consider the possibility that you won't be able to maintain them.

In hindsight if I had the chance to do it over again I would not have installed the able2know mod and worked within the phpbb URL naming scheme just to mantain compatibility for future releases.

HB

Post by HB » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:53 am

dcz wrote:Another thing that can matter is, every time the url will be displayed on a page, it will have keywords. It's even more obvious in a forum, when user will post URLs directly without building a nice bbcode link.
My site uses URLs with topic title injection. I noticed that the Google Webmaster Tools "What Googlebot sees" page shows the injected keywords in the URL as the word phrase if no anchor words are present (i.e., "See blah blah blah for more info."), which suggests Google takes note of recognized words in the URL.
thecoalman wrote:In hindsight if I had the chance to do it over again I would not have installed the able2know mod and worked within the phpbb URL naming scheme just to mantain compatibility for future releases.
If you want to switch back, redirecting to the standard URLs should take hold in search engines fairly quickly. It took about three weeks for Google to pick up all the redirects when I switched from standard to topic injected URLs (Yahoo! was much, much slower, as in months). I assume it would work similarly in the other direction, if I decide to switch back someday.

I could say more, but I think it's been already been beaten to death in this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=552307

Of course if the URL above had the topic title injected in it, you'd already know what I'm referring to. ;)
Dan Kehn

dcz

Post by dcz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:59 pm

thecoalman wrote:
dcz wrote: Problem is, it's something pretty hard to prove straight,
Well I think that's the gist of it DCZ, no one really knows except for maybe a handful of Google engineers. Having said that I'll reiterate having read many posts on the topic that overall it's not that important.
dcz wrote: But, there are good signs about that.
IMHO of course ;)

Talking about the difficuly to maintain a script online, well, nothing is meant to last forever in this world.
The thing is, on the long run you will most likely have to deal with coding, you or someone you will hire for it. Only an update could jeopardize a phpBB forum for someone with low coding skils. So my point is, lasting goes with coding for a phpBB forum.
Open source moding at least makes sure you'll be able to do something in case something goes wrong, it's a totally different story when the source is not accessible.

And as HB said, you are not in jail with rewritten urls, exactely the same way you are not with the regular ones.

++

Return to “phpBB Discussion”