Discuss: phpBB3 Gold Released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Discuss: phpBB3 Gold Released

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 pm

mcdanielnc89 wrote:YAY! Congratzzzz.. So si this the final release or is there anotherone????
Gold equals final, so this is it.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:19 pm

Wow a minor update with the word gold chucked in and everyone goes crazy :D

A well done for everything done up to this point.

But if more bugs arrive I suppose gold means nothing. Right?

lanesharon

Post by lanesharon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 pm

god0fgod wrote:But if more bugs arrive I suppose gold means nothing. Right?
No, I think it still means that these people have spent months, if not years, of their lives giving us quality products at a price that wouldn't buy you a gumball!

I don't know about anyone else, but me and my rare cancer people are indebted to all the 'worker bees' on the phpBB projects. We get to talk and share important information about cancer treatments, and we get to do it in a safe, secure, setting.

This new product will make things even easier for us, based on the new forum/group structures and privacy choices. It is a great product, in my book!! And, I have yet to see anything on the web published without having to 'iron out a few wrinkles' or constantly update to try to keep ahead of the hackers.

Every member of the phpBB team deserves some time basking in the glory of their hard work. Go ahead guys, Bask!!!

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 am

god0fgod wrote:Wow a minor update with the word gold chucked in and everyone goes crazy :D
RC is Release Candidate, it is still an "unstable" release. The RC that turned into Gold was RC8, with a couple of tweaks.
GOLD is a completely stable release. It is the accumulation of 5 years of effort to reach this point.
Excuse me??!?!?
Firefox currently has 446 bugs.
So I suppose Firefox 2.0 Means nothing, right?
Not to mention IE6, which had bugs in the thousands, and IE7, which has bugs numbering around the same as Firefox 2. And lets not even start with a bug count on Windows XP. Does it mean when XP went Gold (i.e. out of RC/Beta stage) it meant nothing when bugs were reported!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

stu15

Post by stu15 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:27 am

Congratulations on phpBB3!! :mrgreen:

I look forward to having a good look at it.
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk

gregonweb

Post by gregonweb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:03 am

Thank you very very very very much. Used the auto update tool and the run from RC8 to 3.0.0 went absolutely smooth. YAY! Great job - really, this is absolutely an amazing system.

dlt123

Post by dlt123 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:18 am

Just for the record, I used to work for a large Software Corp. and I have to say that the upgrade from phpbb RC5 to Gold 3 was absolutely flawless. I couldn't say this for the company is worked for...

Everyone involved in this project really needs to pat themselves on the back. This was an excellent example of teamwork and attention to detail that allowed this upgrade to be so smooth.

Thank you all for such an peace of mind upgrade. :D
Dennis
Belief has no effect on Reality

X0G

Post by X0G » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:14 am

Congrats phpBB!

Madmachine

Post by Madmachine » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am

Congratulations to the entire phpBB team both past and present, without whom all this would not be a reality.
Keep up the good work! :)

Shigga

Post by Shigga » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:58 am

Congratulations on the GOLD Release!!

Finally, you made it. And I have to say, looking at all the ppl sacrificing their precious time for this project: I trust phpBB more than any other forum software, be it commercial or not. Now I can finally start my own little community project as of next year. Thank you for all your hard work!

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:16 am

Highway of Life wrote:
Excuse me??!?!?
Firefox currently has 446 bugs.
So I suppose Firefox 2.0 Means nothing, right?
Not to mention IE6, which had bugs in the thousands, and IE7, which has bugs numbering around the same as Firefox 2. And lets not even start with a bug count on Windows XP. Does it mean when XP went Gold (i.e. out of RC/Beta stage) it meant nothing when bugs were reported!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:
I mean important security issues. phpbb2 was updated often with patches (2.0.x) wasn't it?

That's what I meant.

I don't really know how these things work. So does gold means 100% final?

I don't know. Maybe I should just shut up :)

Whatever this stage means it's still a very well done.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 am

god0fgod wrote:I mean important security issues. phpbb2 was updated often with patches (2.0.x) wasn't it?
Bugs are not Security vulnerabilities.
2.0.x was updated often up until they did the Code Inspection that produced 2.0.18, but even since 2.0.22, it’s been a long time between releases because 2.0.22 has not had any issues.
However, unlike the 2.0.x line, the 3.0.x version went through an external code audit performed by one of the best PHP Security Experts: Stefan Esser and his company. You can’t get much better than that for a security audit. :)
god0fgod wrote:I don't really know how these things work. So does gold means 100% final?
Yes, Gold, Final, released, stable, it’s done, it’s out, not in development anymore, unstable no longer. It’s five years of work and it’s finished. Complete and ready for use, this is not another regular release or RC, or revision, this is a major upgrade, 2.0 to 3.0, everybody can jump on board now. That is why it’s such a big deal. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

KaineP

Post by KaineP » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 am

just upgraded from phpbb2 to phpbb3 RC8 last week and then today from phpbb3 RC8 to 3.0.0 in five minutes on two forums - no issues

just wanted to say thank you to all involved - top marks!!!!

Nacktmull

Post by Nacktmull » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:17 am

Thank you thank you thank you!
After all the waiting and testing all the way from RC1 this is like a X-mas gift.
Great job!

Hope the bridging file to coppermine will be there soon. But this ain't your job any more! :D

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:27 am

god0fgod wrote:I mean important security issues. phpbb2 was updated often with patches (2.0.x) wasn't it?
It's not unlikely that there will be patches for 3.0.x in the future, so there might be a 3.0.2, 3.0.4 etc. before 3.2.0.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”