phpBB3 - Im disapointed....

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
dscurlock

phpBB3 - Im disapointed....

Post by dscurlock »

I thought phpBB3 would be a much better then phpBB2.... Ive just installed it, and
im starting to wonder ... I went to install my first hack on a phpBB3 hack....
and damn you guys have made no advancement on installing hacks....
I have to edit 20 lines to get this to work, and there is no absolute sure
thing the hack will work once im finished.... I thought for sure these issues
come up in phpBB2 - If i installed these two hacks on phpBB3, and Vbulletin,
I would be done with phpbb3 in 30 minutes, it might work, it might not.
in vbulletin, It may take 10-60 seconds to install a hack, and if requires
some editing, its very little, boom your done....

Who in gods earth really wants to spend this much time installing
just one hack, and hope to god it works on phpBB3, this is surely
a miserable experiance on setting up hacks.

This is the very reason why i dumped phpBB2 to begin with...
I can install tons of hacks on VB in minutes, comparted to days
on setting hacks up on phpBB2 , and so far phpBB3 is the same...
unless there is a much imroved hack installation procedure,
I will not be using it again...
Last edited by dscurlock on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: phpBB3 - Im disapointed....

Post by Phil »

MODding is obviously not a core part of the software, and as such is a bit odd. As has been pointed out many times before, phpBB3 is far too complex for a hooks-type system. Such a system would greatly bloat and overcomplicate the code. In addition, MOD autoinstallation (yes, there will be an EasyMOD for 3.0) tends to cause issues down the road when it comes to more MODs, updates, etc.

In all honesty, I and many others have no issue with modifying the code, and frankly, it is my opinion that if you don't have time to install a MOD, you either (a) don't need it or (b) probably shouldn't be trying to run a board in the first place.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

dscurlock

Post by dscurlock »

iWisdom wrote:MODding is obviously not a core part of the software, and as such is a bit odd. As has been pointed out many times before, phpBB3 is far too complex for a hooks-type system. Such a system would greatly bloat and overcomplicate the code. In addition, MOD autoinstallation (yes, there will be an EasyMOD for 3.0) tends to cause issues down the road when it comes to more MODs, updates, etc.

In all honesty, I and many others have no issue with modifying the code, and frankly, it is my opinion that if you don't have time to install a MOD, you either (a) don't need it or (b) probably shouldn't be trying to run a board in the first place.
If you want to waste time doing this, then good for you, I can find other things
that require a much better spent time. I run two VB forums, why and the heck
would i run a backwards forum, as to your description.. PHPBB requires more
time, and its actually wasted time... its like taking a pile of crap, and trying
to improve on it...and i bet the biggest reason people tolerate this forum
because it is in-fact free...IF VB was free, phpbb would be collecting dust
blowing in the wind....

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

If you don't like phpBB, then you are not forced to use it. All of the users around here have chosen to use phpBB because they like it, plain and simple. It may have its shortcomings, yes, but all forum systems do; comparatively, for many people, it gets the job done.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

The problem with hook systems that vB has, is that it limits what can be changed and done. In phpBB, any code can be changed if you want to. There have been MODs which made huge core code changes (like Categories Hierarchy). A hooks system would be restrictive to the MOD developers, and in turn restrictive to you.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Fact is that there are MODs that work without a single edit. phpBB3 has a module system and even a hooks system. Over time, as MODders get more familiar with the new tools, we'll see more edit-less MODs.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

CTCNetwork
Former Team Member

Post by CTCNetwork »

Hi,
Noxwizard wrote:The problem with hook systems that vB has, is that it limits what can be changed and done. In phpBB, any code can be changed if you want to. There have been MODs which made huge core code changes (like Categories Hierarchy). A hooks system would be restrictive to the MOD developers, and in turn restrictive to you.
The other problem, of course, is that the system doesn't always work either!

At the end of the day phpBB2 and phpBB3 are free.
Support for phpBB2 and phpBB3 is free.

As pointed out, no forum/bb software is perfect. Certainly not for every user.
Every user will have different expectations and desires. phpBB will fulfil some, if not all.

If yo are not happy with the software you are free to not use it.

Certainly posting comments (and about MOD installation too!!) about the newly released software in that software's support forum is not the way to go.. :)

Des. . . ;)
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
| Welcome! | RTFM!!! | Search! It's Easy! | Problem? | Spam? | Advice! |

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

*Most* MODs take a maximum of 10 minutes to install, from uploading to editing the database to performing SQL queries, if any. Sure there are some that are more complex, and some that are simpler. The Module MODs can be installed in seconds, for example, and it’s not nearly as limiting as the hooks system other Bulletin Board Software employs. Sure it’s easier to install MODs using the Hooks system, and this is why the phpBB Team will be coming out with a Package Manager to make installing MODs much simpler.

Take courage dear friend. It will get easier over time with the tools that will become available, and I don’t think it’s nearly as difficult as you make it out to be. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Alterno

Post by Alterno »

Wth is going on with this people of " If you don't like phpbb 3.0 don't use"... Critics Can't be good all the times, if you don't want to hear bad critics about your work then do don't do it, it can't be always well done. I bet that I have give more than one headache to devs and techies with my critics, but so far they are not telling anyone to not use their software because of the bad critics (at least not to me).

I agree with the OP, and I already said that modules/plugin system should be revisited by the devs to make it the less traumatic as possible for us the web admins which don't have much knowledge as them of their webware. I say traumatic, because is not strange to find myself re-coding an updated file over and over. A good plugin system is all that phpbb needs. Of course I can't say that sometimes a modification of the templates isn't needed in other webwares, but not much as it needed with phpbb3.

To be honest as I said before the only two things with which I'm greatly surprised is with the excellent style it will be the standard (Expect vbulletin 4.0 to come with something similar). The amazing User CP system and while it is really complex for me, I must admit that permissions/role system really come handy altought I still believe that it can be improved.

The only difference with the OP, is that even with it's defect, phpbb3 is way better than phpbb2. So people don't be mad, we all run different kind of boards and everybody has different kind of needs, it doesn't mean that we don't like phpbb.

Peace

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

As has been mentioned numerous times even within this topic, while a plugins system (as you think of it) is nice, it's really not very plausible for the various reasons outlined above.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

iWisdom wrote:As has been mentioned numerous times even within this topic, while a plugins system (as you think of it) is nice, it's really not very plausible for the various reasons outlined above.
One major reason is that we wanted to keep phpBB3 as light as possible. If you start adding AJAX, Plugins, tons of hooks, etc... you start employing a very bloated system, which means that people would not be able to run it on their basic shared of free hosting servers.

As it is right now, anybody can run it, on any almost any setup.

Though Plugins and expanded hook functionality (hooks do exist in 3.0 BTW) is not out of the question for future releases, I would guess. You could always make a feature request in the SF project page. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

spikywits

Post by spikywits »

The only desired feature thats missing in phpbb3 is the MOD installation. If that has been done no one would ever turn back to VBulletin or any other paid softwares.
Actually phpbb3 helped them to sell their scripts so that it doesnt affect their sales.

btw adding just a simple MOD integration feature doesnt makes the system bloat..its the number of mods installed after once phpbb3 installed decides it. Hope atleast phpbb4 rectifies this probles...may be in another half a decade

aliveinindy

Post by aliveinindy »

phpbb3=free
vBulletin=$160
For that price, it better do waaay more than it does. I wouldn't have considered vBulletin if it was half that much. vBulletin is a serious rip-off. Like people have already said, you are more than free to go pay for a board. I am sticking with this powerful free board :D

spikywits

Post by spikywits »

ya..lets live with worlds best powerful free board. :D

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Now that phpBB3 is finally released, work can soon begin on the next version. Perhaps a more automated method of MOD installation will be implemented. After all, there difference engine now in place for version upgrades.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

Return to “phpBB Discussion”