PHPBB3 commercial use

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Mentaleech

PHPBB3 commercial use

Post by Mentaleech » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:56 am

Would it be legal to use PHPBB3 under the GNU license in a commercial environment.
I heard that the creative commons license is only for noncomercial use so i was curious about GNU

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: PHPBB3 commercial use

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:33 am

If you mean selling phpBB3 (or something based off of it)? In which case, you'd have to make the modified source available for free download.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Mentaleech

Post by Mentaleech » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:29 am

no just running a community that uses PHPBB3 as its base, with style and modifications on it
selling it wouldn't make sense. But selling advertising space or pay to play game with the phpbb3 code at the core of the site i don't know

I want to know if it is legal to have a commercial site using phpbb3 under the normal license

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:10 am

Yes, you can use a GPL covered software on a commercial site, and sell content that is based on it.

The only situation when you would have to release your modified code would be if you wanted to distribute it further.

I'd go here if something is unclear, should get you the information you need:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Mentaleech wrote:I heard that the creative commons license is only for noncomercial use *snip*
Well, that's not true. There are CC licenses that prohibit commercial use, but also some that allow it. For details checkout the CC licenses page :-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Mentaleech wrote:Would it be legal to use PHPBB3 under the GNU license in a commercial environment.
Simple answer - Of course. There's currently hundreds of commercial and for-profit sites/companies using phpBB for various reasons - feel free to use/modify it however and for whatever reasons you want, as long as you don't redistribute the code (in which case you need to adhere to the GPL redistribution rules)

Mentaleech

Post by Mentaleech » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 pm

ok thanks for your help, i was just curious

Return to “phpBB Discussion”