Best CMS / Portal?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
panas

Re: Drupal + phpbb3

Post by panas » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:12 pm

panas wrote:Have a look,
http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1g
Didn't make my self clear probably?
lets try it once more,
from
http://groups.drupal.org/node/7734
Xabi - Mon, 2007-12-17 08:43

Hi all. I have succesfully integrated phpBB3 and Drupal using a script of my own. My approach is different from the phpBB Drupal module: in my site, phpBB3 manages all login and account tasks, and the phpBB profiles are used instead of Drupal ones. The Drupal profiles redirect to phpBB3 profiles, in fact. Take a look (for example, click on any username in Drupal comments): http://www.hispasonic.com/ (the forum is here: http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/).

Now I'm trying to modify the image that Drupal shows for each user. Instead of an image uploaded in Drupal, I want to show the user phpBB avatar. In my site, user Drupal IDs are the same as phpBB3 user IDs (user 3435 in Drupal is the user 3435 in phpBB3). So it's a matter of doing the right MySQL query in the right place, but I don't know where to do it. Could you help me?
is this better?

revival

Re: Best CMS / Portal?

Post by revival » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:41 pm

That does make sense now. lol

As I look at drupal it seems you really only need that if you are going to need a full cms. If you are going to only be serving pages you only need a portal.

Is that right?

The biggest reason I am straying away from a cms is that I really dont want to create two matching themes.

What portal do people find the best?

amagab

Post by amagab » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:50 pm

revival wrote:That does make sense now. lol

As I look at drupal it seems you really only need that if you are going to need a full cms. If you are going to only be serving pages you only need a portal.

Is that right?

The biggest reason I am straying away from a cms is that I really dont want to create two matching themes.

What portal do people find the best?
I am all with you. I just want to have a front page with some modules based on the forum. I'm looking for a simple portal that is based on the phpBB theme.

Sheldon469

Post by Sheldon469 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:53 pm

panas wrote:
panas wrote:Have a look,
http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1g
Didn't make my self clear probably?
lets try it once more,
from
http://groups.drupal.org/node/7734
Xabi - Mon, 2007-12-17 08:43

Hi all. I have succesfully integrated phpBB3 and Drupal using a script of my own. My approach is different from the phpBB Drupal module: in my site, phpBB3 manages all login and account tasks, and the phpBB profiles are used instead of Drupal ones. The Drupal profiles redirect to phpBB3 profiles, in fact. Take a look (for example, click on any username in Drupal comments): http://www.hispasonic.com/ (the forum is here: http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/).

Now I'm trying to modify the image that Drupal shows for each user. Instead of an image uploaded in Drupal, I want to show the user phpBB avatar. In my site, user Drupal IDs are the same as phpBB3 user IDs (user 3435 in Drupal is the user 3435 in phpBB3). So it's a matter of doing the right MySQL query in the right place, but I don't know where to do it. Could you help me?
is this better?
Very nice job!

Would love a copy of your script. Thanks. ;)

panas

Post by panas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Sheldon469 wrote: Very nice job!
Would love a copy of your script. Thanks. ;)
Ignore my previous posts, a figure it out afterwards.
The module for the bridge is made by
Arkeep
and here are the procedure and the files,
http://drupal.i1media.no/drupal+phpbb
for a new installation or not.
In the demo site he had-has not enabled for guest and users to view members profile.

On our case we have it enabled
The result for us is an existing phpbb3 forum and a new drupal site , all greek to you bridged.
an english translated version from google

inserting the user of phpbb to drupal is the tricky part, because at the present there is not kwon a way to preserve the user encrypted passwords
SELECT user_id, username, user_password, user_email FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_id > 1

then ran a find/replace using a good text editor like editpad, inputing the drupal table information.. and came out with something like this:
INSERT INTO drupal_users (uid, name, pass, mail) VALUES(2, 'username1', 'encrypted-pass', 'email@email.com');
We had about 90 members at the present so we just ask them to change - restore their password.

Gamer.Saga

Post by Gamer.Saga » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:01 am

revival wrote:I am starting a site that will be basically a forum but I need a cms for articles and the like.

Can anyone recommend a cms that integrates phpbb3? Is a portal better than a cms or should I go the full cms route?
The lotus core CMS is phpbb3 proprietary. It's custom made specially for phpbb3. I'm not sure it can be called the best, but it's easy and simple.... if you've found nothing yet. Link to it's download site is in my sig.

Also, I think I should clarify for some people what a portal is and what a CMS is. A portal is generally 1 page (but can be more) that contains mostly user submitted listings and data from a feed. A CMS ("content management system") is for easily managing a website with admin created pages.

amagab

Post by amagab » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:11 am

I'm looking for a portal. I only need a home page where I can add phpbb3 modules. I looked at Lotus but it doesn't look good in IE7.

Gamer.Saga

Post by Gamer.Saga » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:45 pm

amagab wrote:I'm looking for a portal. I only need a home page where I can add phpbb3 modules. I looked at Lotus but it doesn't look good in IE7.
odd... it looks fine for me in IE7.... IE7 sucks anyways. Microsoft fails to be up to w3 standards.

// Back on topic.
Anyways, you want stargate portal then, I think. http://www.phpbbireland.com/phpBB3/portal.php
I've not been able to find the download xD so I wouldn't be too sure about it.

marius312

Post by marius312 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 am

I agree that Lotus portal is not too good. It almost wrecked my phpbb3 and doesn't look good.

Norrad

Post by Norrad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:17 am

Stargate portal looks quite good, I may have to give it a whirl on my site.

Gamer.Saga

Post by Gamer.Saga » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:07 am

marius312 wrote:I agree that Lotus portal is not too good. It almost wrecked my phpbb3 and doesn't look good.
Lotus Core is NOT a portal. It is a CMS and it can't "wreck" phpbb3. It doesn't effect any of phpbb3's database files nor any of the phpbb3 files. It is XHTML valid, and the layout is compatible with IE7 and FireFox compatible. I've gotten around to testing it with IE7.

linksjournal

Post by linksjournal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:46 pm

I installed a portal over at jaxdoug. You can take a look at it if you would like, I think it is pertty good by Stargate portal, I modded the Arrow theme, but can't seem to get the block headers working so I looks a little plain.

I like the features of it in the ACP and I installed their premodded version with no problems.

Thanks,
jaxdoug

Sonya*

Post by Sonya* » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 pm

biffs wrote:only real problems will be user management when i get to it. instead of using the cmsms user model, it will have to be re written to use phpbb3 user table and sessions. considering there is no built in user management in cmsms, with the exception of the admin back end - i dont see that being a big issue.

another problem i see coming will be the permissions. phpbb3 permissions i havent quite figured out yet, and im not too sure how im going to integrate it into content management
I had another approach to integrate phpbb3 and cmsms via SOAP. I use FrontEndUsers Module of CMSMS because there are a lot of modules required it. You can visit my integration solution when you are interested in.

forg

Post by forg » Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Sonya* wrote:
biffs wrote:only real problems will be user management when i get to it. instead of using the cmsms user model, it will have to be re written to use phpbb3 user table and sessions. considering there is no built in user management in cmsms, with the exception of the admin back end - i dont see that being a big issue.

another problem i see coming will be the permissions. phpbb3 permissions i havent quite figured out yet, and im not too sure how im going to integrate it into content management
I had another approach to integrate phpbb3 and cmsms via SOAP. I use FrontEndUsers Module of CMSMS because there are a lot of modules required it. You can visit my integration solution when you are interested in.
Wow!
It's fantastic!
Very Good Sonya!

I'm italian user, maybe I can translate it for italian user ;)
Excuse for my terrible english.. :-D

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Tue May 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Personally, I use Drupal + phpBB. I had a look at Joomla!, and its method of integration with phpBB was far better, but I felt that Drupal, being more community orientated was better suited. As an aside, I've managed to get basic theme integration between phpBB and Drupal (using Drupal's Garland theme and phpBB's Hestia theme), so if anyone wants me to say how to :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”