PM Outbox/Sent Suggestion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
ace604

Re: PM Outbox/Sent Suggestion

Post by ace604 »

Brf wrote:
ace604 wrote: if we could brainstorm
This particular forum is for "discussion" of phpBB. If you actually want to participate in any sort of future planning then Area51 is the place to be posting.
Sorry, I just joined yesterday and just to reply to this post.

I only wanted to try to provide feedback to improve the product.

Someone pointed out the ticket interface. I filled one out:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14741

Do I still need to post something somewhere on "area 51" ? Can you point me to where exactly?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Here:
Attachments
Area51.png
ace604

Post by ace604 »

Brf wrote:Here:
LOL. That's not quite what I meant by "exactly".

I don't know if this is a "general" discussion or "3.x" discussion or ticket discussion or ... ?

That's what I meant. I posted a ticket already. I don't know the process here. Sorry for the n00b questions.
ace604

Post by ace604 »

sorry for another n00b question ... I can't login to area51 with the same login??

I was able to make the ticket with the same login, is area51 "restricted" (like the real area 51? :D)
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

ace604 wrote:sorry for another n00b question ... I can't login to area51 with the same login??

I was able to make the ticket with the same login, is area51 "restricted" (like the real area 51? :D)
The Bug Tracker is linked with this site, but Area51 is a separate one, you'll need to create a new account there to be able to login and post.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Following your ticket. But I have little hope either your ticket or a request at Area51 will change anything in the near future (1 to 2 years), if at all. Capsulating the search so many more places in the board (MCP, PMs, subscriptions, bookmarks) could use it or implementing an ACP search or implementing checkboxes for each post to multi quote/moderate them have been passed by unnoticed so far, although I was always able to fully code it.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
dkone

Post by dkone »

Hello,

I also receive regularly Email from user because their PM remains in Outbox. I know that i can make the change myself, but it could be useful to add a line in FAQ to explain Outbox's operation.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

This is a generational issue. Inboxes and Outboxes were a two level basket that sat on your desk. When the messenger put something in the Inbox, you had it. When you put something in the Outbox, it still sat on your desk until the messenger put it in the addressee's Inbox.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
CaptainStarbuck
Name: Captain Starbuck

Post by CaptainStarbuck »

I haven't been here in a few years. No need. But today I had one of those HUH? :? moments with this Outbox/Sent thing. So a single Google query led me to this 9+ year old thread.

After almost a decade of ongoing random confusion in the field, I'd think it's time to put this to rest. I completely understand the historical Inbox/Outbox metaphor, but that's only because I'm a child of the 60's and old enough to remember such things. What we're seeing is a common scenario where engineers see things one way while the rest of the real world sees them another. Being one of those engineer types I recognize this, and recognize that there are times when whatever I had in mind in development is unimportant when it becomes an ongoing UX issue in the field.

C'mon folks, shake this up a bit. Why hasn't this been changed so that items are moved to Sent, with an Unread flag and option to edit items with the flag? That's completely intuitive and in-line with other messaging applications. The term "Outbox" is purely a query/render issue. It should at least be a user option to decide if Unread PMs should be available in the Sent or Outbox folder.

Thanks for your time.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Brf wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:19 pm
Brf wrote:You are welcome to change the names of the folders of they confuse you. Simply change the Outbox to Unread, and the Sent box to Read.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could try posting in phpBB Ideas, it may or may not get implemented though.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
helpneeded22

Post by helpneeded22 »

Add me to the list of people confused by this. Fortunately a Google search found this thread, so I know that the message has been sent.

If any Dev is listening, please amend the names of these to stop the mass confusion :)

Outbox should be: Unread Messages
Sent Messages should be: Read Messages
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can make an RFC at Area51 if you wish although I believe it’s been discussed half to death and I don’t think it will change and, personally, I hope it doesn’t, it’s been in discussion since 2007 and probably earlier. As described above, there are reasons for the way it is, if a message sits in the ‘outbox’ the author can still edit or delete that message until such time as the recipient opens it. It’s a parachute if you like. If the message went straight to ‘sent’ there would be no opportunity to edit or delete it.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

also consider the number of phpbb users overall. millions and millions I assume.

now, consider the number of people who have come here and posted about being confused by it...maybe less than 50? over all these years.

somehow I don't think this is a really big problem for most people.

as mentioned above, if you really don't like it just go change the text for it in the language file here:
language/en/ucp.php
around line 421

Code: Select all

'PM_INBOX'					=> 'Inbox',

'PM_OUTBOX'					=> 'Outbox',
	'PM_SENTBOX'				=> 'Sent messages',
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”