The phpBB 3.0 Hooks System

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
crayzeepete

The phpBB 3.0 Hooks System

Post by crayzeepete » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Just thought I'd comment on my experiences with the new hooks system.
I know that an issue with modifications which annoy many users are the fact that they involve edits to files, and the nature of the phpBB upgrade system means that modifications would have to be re-carried out after every update.
I was pleased to see the beginnings of a phpBB implementation of the hooks idea that wordpress uses. However, at this stage it is very limited and has several rather obvious flaws. I'm aware that this system is not ideal for all modifications, however, if it only benefits, say, half of modification authors out there, it is a system worth developing further.
I'm not completely familiar with the developer-base of this project, but I was wondering if there is an individual actively developing this feature? If not, I'd love to put my hand up and start working on it. I'm aware of the issues involved in developing it, and I think I carry the same values as the phpBB project.
What processes are there in place to consider and then commit new features to the CVS tree?
Should this be posted in the area51 boards?
I couldn't find any obvious information anywhere about how to actually get involved in developing phpBB, or are you not open to new developers?

Cheers

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: The phpBB 3.0 Hooks System

Post by Paul » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 pm

The hooks system isnt written for MODifications. Its written for bridges with other software (Like the joomla bridge).
The problem with a hook system like wordpress is that its using a lot of resource, because of all extra calls to the hooks system.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 pm

From what I've heard, they will be greatly expanding the hooks system for 3.2.

DavidMJ
Former Team Member

Post by DavidMJ » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:15 am

crayzeepete wrote:Just thought I'd comment on my experiences with the new hooks system.
I know that an issue with modifications which annoy many users are the fact that they involve edits to files, and the nature of the phpBB upgrade system means that modifications would have to be re-carried out after every update.
I was pleased to see the beginnings of a phpBB implementation of the hooks idea that wordpress uses. However, at this stage it is very limited and has several rather obvious flaws. I'm aware that this system is not ideal for all modifications, however, if it only benefits, say, half of modification authors out there, it is a system worth developing further.
I'm not completely familiar with the developer-base of this project, but I was wondering if there is an individual actively developing this feature? If not, I'd love to put my hand up and start working on it. I'm aware of the issues involved in developing it, and I think I carry the same values as the phpBB project.
What processes are there in place to consider and then commit new features to the CVS tree?
Should this be posted in the area51 boards?
I couldn't find any obvious information anywhere about how to actually get involved in developing phpBB, or are you not open to new developers?

Cheers
Most community ideas for in-development releases are discussed on area51. The development team is constantly trying to improve the quality of the software, I feel that this can only be fully achieved if we listen to ideas like these.

Soon, we will make the barriers to contribution much smaller for those who want to help. For now, please hang in there and throw your ideas at area51 :)

crayzeepete

Post by crayzeepete » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Paul wrote:The hooks system isnt written for MODifications. Its written for bridges with other software (Like the joomla bridge).
The problem with a hook system like wordpress is that its using a lot of resource, because of all extra calls to the hooks system.
Okay, well, it's definitely not useful for that at this stage either.
I'll take this to area 51 :)

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:50 pm

crayzeepete wrote:
Paul wrote:The hooks system isnt written for MODifications. Its written for bridges with other software (Like the joomla bridge).
Okay, well, it's definitely not useful for that at this stage either.
I'll take this to area 51 :)
Ehm. RokBridge uses the phpBB3 hook system, to make a bridge between phpBB3 and Joomla 1.5. (no hacking in the code).
So I think that it is useful, but it isn't intended for every (little) mod. And I personally don't think is should be.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

crayzeepete

Post by crayzeepete » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Each to their own. I think if managed correctly it could be a much cleaner way of handling modifications. I know it has been criticised for slowing down - and I think that can be the case if you install too many modifications.
However, with proper caching, it could be done efficiently.
I wouldn't describe Wordpress as slow.
I don't want to discuss this any further here - I've started a topic @ area51.

mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Hooks for modifications would make things much easier, I don't see how it would take a bunch of code (though I'm not an avid coder) to simply hook into existing locations of code. As for wordpress, well I think that it runs similar (if not faster) than phpBB as is while using a hooks system - though it is obvious that phpBB3 is much more complex than any blogging platform out there.

Wert
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Aguilar

Post by Wert » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:24 pm

mdvaldosta wrote: As for wordpress, well I think that it runs similar (if not faster) than phpBB as is while using a hooks system - though it is obvious that phpBB3 is much more complex than any blogging platform out there.
WP is notorious for not scaling well and often going down when hit with too much traffic. They've been trying all sorts of cache solutions to fix that, something not really available in stock versions of phpBB.
Chris Aguilar - AKA "Wert"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”