I ever wonder, why to use a paid forum pack other than this?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
bhoopalan

I ever wonder, why to use a paid forum pack other than this?

Post by bhoopalan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:00 pm

There are many paid forum pack available in market. Even i thought of buying one of it. But when i cae to know about Phpbb i found everything i needed here. And i thought its appearance is the best in the world.

More over this is OPEN SOURCE (i.e) FREE OF COST

Then why some people choosing those paid forum pack still?? any idea? i ever wonder on it.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: I ever wonder, why to use a paid forum pack other than this?

Post by Jim_UK » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:27 pm

There may be a misplaced notion that if you pay for it then it is better and the more you pay for it then the better it must be.
This is a bit like the folks that want to buy only "designer" clothes - they believe that they have something better than anyone else.

I will watch this topic - remember it must not turn into a comparison between different pieces of software.
The issue is "Why do folks buy when there is phpBB for free"?

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:30 pm

yea. I always use to feel pity for them. And o their stupidity (according to me. Sorry if its hash)

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 pm

i think part of the problem is that people have this preception that phpbb is less secure. TOTAL NONSENSE. a site is only as secure as the administrator/webmaster makes it.

a side note, i saw my first 3.0 board hacked about 2 days ago (it wasnt my board, but one i frequent). :?

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Hard question, maybe the problem is you need to pay to use different boards, where as anyone/everyone can use phpbb, but I'm not sure.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Most likely it is because the basic features fit better to the needs of the admin. When phpbb doesn't do what you need (or you need to do a lot of modding to achieve this), I can get that people will look at other solutions and willing to pay for it [I'm not one of them :wink:].
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Liquinn wrote:Hard question, maybe the problem is you need to pay to use different boards, where as anyone/everyone can use phpbb, but I'm not sure.
so what if anyone can use a package? Am purely against all those. Lets make it a war here between PHPBB and other paid forum users :mrgreen:

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:40 pm

bhoopalan wrote:Lets make it a war here between PHPBB and other paid forum users
lets not and say we did...
Jim_UK wrote:it must not turn into a comparison between different pieces of software

bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:51 pm

:D

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 pm

I think a lot of people sometimes base their choice on looks.
Some may not like the look of phpBB - even with a different theme/template.
If they have to pay to get what the want, they will.
And like it's been said - some pay because they think it will be more secure / better coded / generally better.

I guess it's like saying - Why buy Windows when you have Linux?
Like Windows, other products come with a lot of things built in which appeals to those who don't want to sit adding a bunch of code to their product.
Or to those who generally don't know enough about programming/web-design to do so :)

I know if I need a program, I'll first find something that has everything I need bundled in.
Maybe later on I might go search again, but I don't want to be first starting to compile things in C to get them to run :lol:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:34 pm

cherokee red wrote: I guess it's like saying - Why buy Windows when you have Linux?
Like Windows, other products come with a lot of things built in which appeals to those who don't want to sit adding a bunch of code to their product.
Or to those who generally don't know enough about programming/web-design to do so :)
But one need not have coding knowledge or php knowledge to use this. Only hey need o spend few hours. Cant they do it if they are getting a good pack that too open source?

James N

Post by James N » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am

Because people are lazy/don't have enough time to do things properly, so buy a package that approximates to what they want.

bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

James N wrote:Because people are lazy/don't have enough time to do things properly, so buy a package that approximates to what they want.
laziness makes one also fool :D

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Paid forum packages are more into the money, and are more worried about getting there cash.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm

cherokee red wrote:I think a lot of people sometimes base their choice on looks.
Some may not like the look of phpBB - even with a different theme/template.
If they have to pay to get what the want, they will.
And like it's been said - some pay because they think it will be more secure / better coded / generally better.
I agree with that, a lot of people will be swayed by first impressions. If someone looks at a paid software and thinks "I like the look of it" they might buy it without making comparisons to what else is available (for example).

I used phpBB2 as a user about 5 years ago, I liked the look of subSilver and subsequently started a forum myself using phpBB 2.0.6 for this reason :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”