postgresql vs mysql

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
besonen

postgresql vs mysql

Post by besonen »

would someone willing the list the pros and cons of using postgresql and mysql?

i read on a comment elsewhere that phpbb3 only supports full text searching with mysql. is this true?

thanks,
david

besonen

Re: postgresql vs mysql

Post by besonen »

besonen wrote:would someone willing the list the pros and cons of using postgresql and mysql?
to be clear, i'm asking about the pros and cons of phpbb3--i.e., how does phpbb3 behave/function differently depending on which database is being used.
besonen wrote:i read on a comment elsewhere that phpbb3 only supports full text searching with mysql. is this true?
fwiw, i did search this forum prior to posting and came up with only a few comments regarding the differences. if there are some other documents outside of the forum that document the phpbb differences between using postgrsql and mysql i'd love the urls.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Hi
Maybe this will answer your question fully.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

DavidMJ
Former Team Member

Post by DavidMJ »

Jim_UK wrote:Hi
Maybe this will answer your question fully.

Jim
That article is out of date and highly inaccurate.

If I were to pick one, I would pick PostgreSQL over MySQL because of how consistent it is and the superior way it handles Unicode

However, PostgreSQL requires significant amounts of tuning before it can be used on a high traffic site

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

One advantage of MySQL is the number of people that use it. A significant number of phpBB users use MySQL and are familiar with it, so if you ever run into problems it is likely someone will have encountered it before and be able to assist.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”