Database migration 2.22 to 3.x

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
alexgreen

Database migration 2.22 to 3.x

Post by alexgreen »

I have PHP 2.22 and a 140mb size database , i tried to use export and import phpadmin tools but its hanged out after 300 seconds transaction ... after i used a hand made mode but i realize a structure difference betwen then ... whats the best way to migrate it?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Database migration 2.22 to 3.x

Post by KevC »

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
prothought

Post by prothought »

From the above link:
Please note that this conversion process may take quite some time and depending on your hosting provider this may result in it failing (due to web server or other timeout issues). If this is the case you should ask your provider if they are willing to allow the convert script to temporarily exceed their limits (be nice and they will probably be quite helpful).
My host wouldn't help unless I paid them $50/hour.

Instead, they recommended WAMP (windows/apache/mysql/php).

Basically, download the database to your machine, load it into your local version of the system (running WAMP), and do the conversion locally. Then export the new database and upload it to the host.

I've also found that MySQL GUI Tools will help you to export the larger databases to your local machine. The export function that is available through phpMyAdmin is limited in how much it will let you upload back to the server.
Image www.phoenixforums.net Image
We won't go all Dmoto on you!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

There's a KB article on offline conversions if you need more info

Knowledge Base - Offline Conversions
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
prothought

Post by prothought »

Kevin Clark wrote:There's a KB article on offline conversions if you need more info

Knowledge Base - Offline Conversions
If I had only known about this two weeks ago. :?
Image www.phoenixforums.net Image
We won't go all Dmoto on you!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”