[EVENT] Londonvasion 2008 Discussion (Photos posted!)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Londonvasion 2008 Discussion (Photos posted!)

Post by drathbun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:08 am

Fountain of Apples wrote:I wrote those based on this schedule the week before Londonvasion even started. You weren't on there, Dave, so you didn't get spotlighted. Sorry.
FoA, as I said, it was hardly surprising, so don't worry about it. :) Marshalrusty did so much to scout and plan and prepare for the event that I was truly happy when he asked me to do the slot for him. There was no need for him to have had to add presentation prep on top of everything else. The schedule was never updated because at that point there really wasn't a need to do so, as everything was happening in the next few days.

As a bit of a teaser, though, we do have some ideas on how to manage the presentation submissions, selections, and scheduling and so on a little bit differently for the next 'vasion. It is my hope that the talks next year might include more non-team contributions. I know a lot of people want to hear from Acyd Byrn and the rest of the dev team, and that was certainly interesting. But by next year phpBB3 is going to be a very mature presense on the web (which is different from being a mature product). I think there might be some interesting talks that could be given by folks that are using the software, perhaps in ways that were not originally intended.

We might even put out a "Call for Topics" that would let the general user community request or suggest topics that could be covered. Is that something that y'all would be interested in?

Part of what I do in real life involves speaking at conferences. While I've never done the full planning, I've been involved in the speaker selection process often enough that I hope to be able to help more in the planning aspect of things for the next time. As they say, watch this space for details as they become available. :)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 am

We might even put out a "Call for Topics" that would let the general user community request or suggest topics that could be covered. Is that something that y'all would be interested in?
I would like to see that option added where members can suggest topics and the phpBB team chooses the ones they want.

I also hope i can get to the next vasion!

Thanks,
EY
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 am

You're always welcome to suggest topics. Even here and now :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 am

Marshalrusty wrote:You're always welcome to suggest topics. Even here and now :)
Alright then!

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p6743005

Would be allot nicer having it as an presentation then a blog article!

Thanks,
EY
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:19 am

EY wrote:Would be allot nicer having it as an presentation then a blog article!
We had a phpBB Weekly podcast a few weeks ago that detailed that topic already. ;)

Yuriy, while it would be great to take suggestions on possible topics for the next “invasion”, don’t you think it would be better in a new topic? ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Highway of Life wrote:
EY wrote:Would be allot nicer having it as an presentation then a blog article!
We had a phpBB Weekly podcast a few weeks ago that detailed that topic already. ;)
*Searches for link! :o *

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Highway of Life wrote:Yuriy, while it would be great to take suggestions on possible topics for the next “invasion”, don’t you think it would be better in a new topic? ;)
I think we'll have a more formal structure set in place when the timing is appropriate. 8-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:12 pm

drathbun wrote:I am really interested to read more comments from folks that watch the videos. AdamR worked tirelessly the day of the conference to capture the video, and I have no idea how long he worked after the fact to edit them down for content and size. So...
All totaled? Around 26 hours, including one non-stop 18 hour editing session. :P

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm

AdamR wrote: All totaled? Around 26 hours, including one non-stop 18 hour editing session. :P

- Adam
Only? :P

Thanks for all the work and time you put in this for us (people who were not able to make it to London).

Thanks,
EY

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:36 pm

AdamR wrote:All totaled? Around 26 hours, including one non-stop 18 hour editing session. :P
I know how you feel, my friend. Good presentation at Londonvasion, by the way, Adam. I just saw it yesterday and I laughed at your opening statement. :lol:

Nice job with the editing, too.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Realisty

Post by Realisty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:37 pm

AdamR wrote:
drathbun wrote:I am really interested to read more comments from folks that watch the videos. AdamR worked tirelessly the day of the conference to capture the video, and I have no idea how long he worked after the fact to edit them down for content and size. So...
All totaled? Around 26 hours, including one non-stop 18 hour editing session. :P

- Adam
You did a great job with the editing ;)

noth

Post by noth » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 am

noth wrote:Somebody did a great page Spotlight on the Presenters showing a paragraph of profile on each presenter, GREAT PAGE!!! :D
2 years ago I wrote the above post (on this thread) about a SPOTLIGHT PAGE looking at the presenters attendng Londonvasion (2008)

it seems the page has now been deleted :( but the reason I am thinking about this now is because I am thinking "Is there such a page for Libertyvasion" ?? ;) would love to see it if there is!
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:59 am

Iam pretty sure that this site was made by someone outside the phpBB teams, so you will need to ask that person.
Besides that, there is some information about each speaker at libertyvasion at http://www.phpbb.com/libertyvasion/speakers/
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 am

IIRC was the londonvasion.net blog stated by Douglass. Through http://www.londonvasion.com you can reach the official Londonvasion pages.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah, sorry, I kinda let the domain expire since the site was pretty much inactive once Londonvasion ended. I'm not going to be setting up a similar separate site for Libertyvasion this year.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”