[EVENT] Londonvasion 2008 Discussion (Photos posted!)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Londonvasion 2008 Discussion (Photos posted!)

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 pm

T50 wrote:is it just me but for the [11] MOD Validation Paul is really really nervous, I heard him on weekly before, but here he is just like talking really really fast and seems nervous, must not talking in a big group
Do you know how it is to speak for people, in a language you dont really speak very well? ;). Iam already nervous when giving a presentation at school, so you can expect that iam there a bit more nervous :). Its not easy to speak for people that know more as you (In a lot of cases, as there were a lot teammembers)
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Most of the team are young (not necessarily a crime) and with little experience of public speaking. Its a lot different talking to an adult audience than within a school/college environment with the few times they might have got to do public speaking.

Lots of the team are not native English speakers (can you count Americans as English speakers ?? no surely not!!)

They all did well, and will do better the more they do.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Lots of the team are not native English speakers (can you count Americans as English speakers ?? no surely not!!)
Last I checked, Americans didn't speak Americanese. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

T50

Post by T50 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Paul wrote:
T50 wrote:is it just me but for the [11] MOD Validation Paul is really really nervous, I heard him on weekly before, but here he is just like talking really really fast and seems nervous, must not talking in a big group
Do you know how it is to speak for people, in a language you dont really speak very well? ;). Iam already nervous when giving a presentation at school, so you can expect that iam there a bit more nervous :). Its not easy to speak for people that know more as you (In a lot of cases, as there were a lot teammembers)
I just thought you would have been a little more relaxed (from talking on weekly abit), But I understand, i get nervous in front of a big group too.
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info

Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:44 pm

T50 wrote:
Paul wrote:
I just thought you would have been a little more relaxed (from talking on weekly abit), But I understand, i get nervous in front of a big group too.
phpBBweekly is something complete else as talking live for a group :). You cant compare those together.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Paul wrote:
T50 wrote:
Paul wrote:
phpBBweekly is something complete else as talking live for a group :). You cant compare those together.
Indeed. It's one thing to talk to your computer screen than talking in front of a large group. Even I still feel a bit of nervousness even though I've spoken in front of large groups plenty of times.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:52 am

I wouldn't have been nervous talking about something I love. But, that's just me. I liked your speech, though. I felt kind of nervous for you because I wanted people to laugh at your jokes. :D Or am I thinking of the Development Team Leader? Well, both of you guys' speeches were very good.

Anyway, you did a fine job. Don't be worried. I liked hearing it.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:25 am

Oh, people definitely laughed at the jokes. You can't always hear it because the audio from the mics was recorded directly, so only the loud audience noises were caught.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:13 am

Oh, good. I hate when people make jokes when reciting speeches and no one else laughs. It makes me feel bad. Anyway, you guys are awesome. Thanks for making phpBB, and keep up the good work. To see a young guy like Paul at the age of 20 be doing so much for a team like phpBB makes me very happy. The reason I say that is because I am very young for a web developer, yet I do it all the time and people are amazed that I am so young and developing.

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys. Thanks for phpBB. :)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

girlintrouble

Post by girlintrouble » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 am

I think it was very brave for those who gave talks etc to do so, especially those whose native language is not English. A suggestion might be to use large font presentations, I felt that would have helped. Some of the slides used were small fontsize. Sometimes people struggle with accents, seeing some typed text helps.

Well done.

jwxie

Post by jwxie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:26 pm

legohalflife2man wrote:Oh, good. I hate when people make jokes when reciting speeches and no one else laughs. It makes me feel bad. Anyway, you guys are awesome. Thanks for making phpBB, and keep up the good work. To see a young guy like Paul at the age of 20 be doing so much for a team like phpBB makes me very happy. The reason I say that is because I am very young for a web developer, yet I do it all the time and people are amazed that I am so young and developing.

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys. Thanks for phpBB. :)
i do this all the time
the only solution is
"hey, you guys are not fun to speak with... damn it... all right, let me get to the next point..."
(especially i was making an IT-lecture / spiritual lecture)

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Do me a favour Techie... err, or favor... spell colour for me... or is that color... :lol:
Customisations Team Member

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:13 pm

battye wrote:Do me a favour Techie... err, or favor... spell colour for me... or is that color... :lol:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Last I checked, Americans didn't speak Americanese. ;)
Emphasis added.

He didn't say anything about writing. ;)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 pm

battye wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Do me a favour Techie... err, or favor... spell colour for me... or is that color... :lol:
Nice try, but both are English. ;) You know, en-US and en-GB? I don't see anywhere that says am-US. ;) Just like how there's more than one type of German, Chinese, and so on, there's more than one type of English. Honestly, I fail to see why so many British make such a big deal out of it when the US doesn't. We kicked British butt, deal with it. If anything, we should be forcing en-US on the British, not the other way around. But we aren't, because we are better than that. :P

And high five to to Douglas. :P
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 am

Ahem. Back on topic yuo :-P

I am really interested to read more comments from folks that watch the videos. AdamR worked tirelessly the day of the conference to capture the video, and I have no idea how long he worked after the fact to edit them down for content and size. So...

Did you find them of value? Having seen some example content, if another conference were in your area would you be more inclined to go to see presentations in person, or would you simply wait for the videos to come out? If there were something that could be done differently about capturing the content / presenting the video what suggestions would you have?

For me, I think having more of the audience interaction captured would have been nice. The security presentation was quite interactive, as there were quizzes along the way. The spam presentation did generate quite a bit of discussion that had to be cut just because it was so disjointed without the full content. On the other hand, to capture all of that would require more time and more planning, so there is that sort of "expense" to consider. At other conferences that I attend the presenters are often asked to hold questions until the end, and then a microphone is passed around. This is fine, but makes it less spontaneous.

Thoughts?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “phpBB Discussion”