MSSQL Support?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
a_user

MSSQL Support?

Post by a_user »

From what I understand after reviewing the documentation phpBB 3 supports MS SQL. Is anyone running their board on it and if so how does it perform compared with MYSQL or Postgre?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: MSSQL Support?

Post by drathbun »

It's a lot harder to get support, that's the first issue. :) Of all of the boards running phpBB2 or 3 I suspect the huge majority of them are running MySQL, with PostgreSQL a distant second place.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

a_user

Post by a_user »

I am much more comfortable with microsoft sql which is why i was asking. Is one instance of my sql easily able to handle more then one forum by just simply creating additional databases?

Thanks

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

a_user wrote:I am much more comfortable with microsoft sql which is why i was asking. Is one instance of my sql easily able to handle more then one forum by just simply creating additional databases?

Thanks
yes. you could even handle multiple boards using a single database by creating a different table-prefix for each board. in general, there is no reason to do it, but in some special cases it comes in handy.
bet again, to your original question, the answer is "yes".

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Really the main issue you might have is with MODs. Most MOD authors are probably not familiar with MSSQL at all and therefore might not be able to support it. If you are comfortable with the database and can debug sql syntax errors then you're probably okay.

MSSQL certainly has some features and capabilities that MySQL does not have, and there are plenty of resources on the web for using / managing it. But as I said earlier, in my guestimate there are very, very, few phpBB boards using it as their target database. Doesn't mean it can't be done.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “phpBB Discussion”