Discuss: What does phpBB2's retirement mean for you.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Dogs and things

Re: Discuss: What does phpBB2's retirement mean for you.

Post by Dogs and things »

I ;) 'll wait and see how things finally work out.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Acyd Burn wrote:The main problem here i think is that 2.0.x and 3.0.x differ so much that they are definitely two separate products.
If that's the case then why some of you folks insist that phpBB 2 is retired? How do you define the end of the line? The lack of "official" support and the interests of a minority group? What good is phpBB if wasn't for all MODs made in the last years? What good is one operational system if it's unable to run all softwares and hardware released for decades in the market? :cry:

As long as phpBB 3 remain too much complex and there are no sufficient MODs from phpB 2 available and lack of interest from MOD developers, will not be an option at least for me. Isn't that enough reason to prolong indefinitely the life of phpBB 2? At least phpBB 2, even outdated, is not a big empty shell. In the end, that's what counts. :ugeek:
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
momentum

Post by momentum »

I think you're missing the point. The people here (at phpbb.com) have only so many support resources to commit. Continued support for the older product mean there's that many less people able to provide support for the newer product.

Closing off support for v2.0.x won't stop your board from working and won't stop developers writing new stuff for it, but it will free up people to help support the most current product. There'll be other places taking up the mantle of supporting the 2.0.x line. (and there already are) They're just not "official".

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)
Dogs and things

Linda,

Did you read Discuss: phpBB2's "Retirement" Announced? Your kind of questions have been answered there already.

And did you read
Dogs and things wrote:And as far as I'm concerned the dropping of support or other "official" decisions are not at all the subject of this topic. What's more, I'd appreciate that is kept out of this topic as this topic might get locked due to introducing that kind of delicate matter into it.
There are quite a few more remarks made in this topic along the lines of my quote, did you read them too?

If so, then why do you keep bringing up the subject, do you want my topic to get locked?

Why don´t you start a new topic yourselves to talk about your concerns and leave this topic for what I intended it for? :cry: I'd gladly participate in that discussion as I'm sure I share at least part of your feelings and thoughts. But I don´t want to see this topic locked, you see.

And finally, an on-topic question for you, :P what MODs do you miss for phpBB3, what functionalities does your phpBB2 have that you don´t find in phpBB3?
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

@ all.

The moderator team is actively discussing if this topic should be locked as so many seem unable to take that simple rule of staying on topic.

I am actively trying to help this topic say open, but if we have any more posts like this that job will get harder.

I can tell you if this one (which is the second attempt) gets locked, no other will be allowed to start.

So please take the hint. The decision has been made - the end.

Now discuss what this topic is about - what the decision means to you.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

I know I haven't been around here anymore, but I have tried phpBB3, and I personally gave it a chance and have to say that I strongly disliked it. The features on it I found was worthless and did not fit my needs and were just in my way. I left off with phpBB 2.0.22 and now, I still use phpbb 2.0.22 on my site and will keep it there for I find and all my admins find that phpbb3 is to difficult to navigate through and operate.

Side note, Every time I come here and see this site, I feel like I am at a child's daycare center with all the pastel colors here.
Last edited by Jim_UK on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bolding removed.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Once again an off topic post. What does the retirement of phpBB2 mean to you?
This is not meant as a topic to compare or criticize as has been said so many times already and is likely to cause the demise of this topic.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I think all about that as been said. I unchecked my subscription to this topic because I don't want to read only MODerator's rants.

Thanks.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

Jim_UK wrote:Once again an off topic post. What does the retirement of phpBB2 mean to you?
This is not meant as a topic to compare or criticize as has been said so many times already and is likely to cause the demise of this topic.

Jim
You know Jim, I will be nice, I just wrote a reply like 30 times basically saying things I know that would piss you off and maybe the team here. I am not even bother trying to break down my last post to show you what I meant. Just do this now for me. Ban me, because I know if you don't, and I see a remark like this in another year, How it shows lack of intelligence in this world to take a reply to a topic that is left open for a wide bases of comments, and then gets offended because someone replied to a Question that can have 500,000+ different ways to answer it , but didn't hear what they wanted to hear,so replies that its off topic. Shows to me what kind of person you are, and what kind of place this has become where you cant answer the question with an honest answer with out having someone screaming cause its not what they want to here.

I suggest for you to ban me now, and go back to 7th grade English and learn to ask a "not so general" question so you can get the answers you wanted. Remember the 5 W's and 1 H. (who, what, where, when , why, how.)

Yes, this is the nice post.

Simple reply, You might be retiring it, but many wont let it and they will keep running it, Que, part 2 where "the software we must not speak of" comes in, as the why.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

DreAdeDcoRpSE wrote:...
Careful where you're going with that. ;) Please also don't take things personally. The trend of this topic in the past (and the topic before it which has since been locked) has been to start going off track and bashing phpBB for making the decision that it has made, so periodic reminders might be necessary. I hardly think Jim intended anything personal directly at you, but rather at the topic as a whole, so don't take it that way.

We're not out to get anyone ... except maybe via our World Dominat...erm, yeah. :P

Let's continue with discussion. :D

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

3Di wrote:I think all about that as been said. I unchecked my subscription to this topic because I don't want to read only MODerator's rants.

Thanks.
[offtopic]
I hardly think that my post was a rant unless we have different definitions of the word rant and the post that follows yours sort of leaves me a little perplexed. It is basically an attack on myself and look I am not flying off into a rant. I am not even going to issue a warning for it even though it does contain some strange remarks. I am not even going to quote it and correct all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors as you may think I would be tempted to do.
I am simply going to ask you to keep this topic "on topic" so that it does not descend into a "rant" about the decision to stop support for V2.
Those of you that know me a little better will know that I myself feel quite strongly about the demise of V2 but then that is another story.[/offtopic]

Stay on topic please!

Jim
The truth is out there.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

I will be very sorry to see the demise of phpBB2 from a development point of view and the support for phpBB2 end. It feels like the end of an era and like most on here I came by this site looking for support/advice.
Now that I have got used to the fact that it will be ending, fully understand the developers reasons for doing so and have had time to think about it I realise that it's retirement means less to me than I thought it would.
It is not going to stop my use of phpBB2 nor my enthusiasm for it as a very simple to install, use and mod piece of software.
As and when I find the time I am downloading all the validated mods from the Mods database and will also go through the mods in development downloading those I think are useful.

I shall continue to use it for the foreseeable future so to me you can see it is not retiring at all. :D

Jim
The truth is out there.
Dogs and things

On of the things that I am missing already is this very board as a meeting-point for people with profound knowledge of that piece of software ánd the willingness to share their knowledge and help others to get to know it better. So many of this board's members, staff, past and present "normal" members, turned this board into a very special place.

This has been a wonderful community in that respect and no matter how many other sites will pop up, this phpBB2 community will have gone for ever.

And that's sad... :cry:
Sunriser

Post by Sunriser »

I'm a bit confused as to what is ON topic now and what is OFF topic. I would think that "what it means to me" would have to include items that people feel detracts from the overall "feel" of the forum, no?

At any rate, what the retirement of phpBB2 means to me personally is I am now in the position of trying to decide if I will even run phpBB software to start with.

I currently run a forum on ProBoards http://sunrisers.proboards46.com, and I and my members are tired of their incessant political ads and Google Ads in general. We also want the ability - as a closed forum open only to members of our alumni and all over the age of consent - to talk about anything we want in whatever language we dare use at the time. So - we (meaning ME, as Admin) must move to a self hosted forum. I investigated most of the available free forum software choices - I don't have to list them, you all know - and settled on phpBB2 for a very simple reason ... it fit the look of my current forum and seemed to be able to accept the styling I wanted to stay as close as possible to the current forum. I even setup a free hosted version http://sunrisers.forumotion.com so I could play with the styling options and get a feel for phpBB2, rather than phpBB3 - which was also offered.

Like the OP, my members and I prefer the "older" look of phpBB2 and the way categories and forums are set up. It just fits, and doesn't require a PHD in computer science to figure out. Many of my members (myself included) are in their 50's and 60's and are not that computer literate. For me to TRY and get a reasonably similar look and feel to what we now use with phpBB3 would require a major investment of time I don't have to try and learn PHP programming, even if my memory at this age would cooperate - which it doesn't always. It is simply too much for me at this time.

And now I see I won't be able to get any "official" support for the software I settled on. What THAT means to me is ... I can go ahead and run it, but if I get stuck with something I'm on my own, and that bothers me greatly. While I understand that PHPBB would prefer to concentrate on the latest versions, the decision to not support v2 at all puzzles me. MS has announced they will continue to support XP for another year at least after the release of Vista a year ago, so why can't PHPBB at least offer minimal support for v2? The logic escapes me, frankly. It appears a LOT of people prefer a classic forum look.

It's obvious that a large number of users prefer the older version for many reasons and apparently have no desire to risk an upgrade to something they are not comfortable with. This is not to slam v3 or the staff for making that decision to completely revamp the software - it's simply a statement that many people don't want to upgrade to a look they don't like for no other reason than to placate the staff. MS made a major miscalculation in the look and operation of Vista and its acceptance by the GP. People simply don't like it. There is something of a parallel here.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Like the OP, my members and I prefer the "older" look of phpBB2 and the way categories and forums are set up. It just fits, and doesn't require a PHD in computer science to figure out. Many of my members (myself included) are in their 50's and 60's and are not that computer literate. For me to TRY and get a reasonably similar look and feel to what we now use with phpBB3 would require a major investment of time I don't have to try and learn PHP programming, even if my memory at this age would cooperate - which it doesn't always. It is simply too much for me at this time.
You like the look of phpBB2, which is the subsilver style.
phpBB3 also ships with subsilver2 as an alternate style.
It is nearly identical to the phpBB2 style, but you just have to switch it on.

So if you want to ensure your members see something they are familiar with, all you need to do once you upgrade to phpBB3 is set subsilver2 as your default style and deactivate prosilver. It’s not really that hard, it won’t require a PHD, you don’t need to learn programming, and it doesn’t require any significant time investment. :D

------

Basically, Microsoft will drop support for XP after 24 months of Vista. This affects literally billions of users.
phpBB will drop support for phpBB2 after 13 months of phpBB3. This affects some tens of thousands. Far less than Microsoft, yet both are logical.
I’m sure that if phpBB2 had as many users as Microsoft has for XP, support might have been extended an extra 11 months.

But either way you go, you can see that progressive software companies do drop support for older version sooner or later. The Commercial Products can afford to keep older version supported a bit longer, aside from also having a much larger user impact than phpBB2 has.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”