Discuss: What does phpBB2's retirement mean for you.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Discuss: What does phpBB2's retirement mean for you.

Post by Techie-Micheal »

What necessary upgrade are you talking about?

a) You aren't required to upgrade from phpBB2 to phpBB3
b) phpBB3.2 won't be coming tomorrow, so upgrading from phpBB3 to 3.2 won't be in a "short time."
c) When phpBB3.2 comes out, you won't be required to upgrade from phpBB3 to phpBB3.2
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

rreptile wrote:Days. And that's if things go well.
So really it’s the “design” that you believe would take the longest? -- the upgrade itself should take less than an hour on most boards. And depending on how experienced you are with editing styles, if you’re good, not more than a day... if not, well... that might be your slowdown there, but really, your complaint is not how long the update would take, but how long it would take you to edit the style how you like it, correct?
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Upgrading a phpBB2 style to phpBB3 shouldn't take any longer than 3-4 hours if you're basing it on subSilver2. Even with quite some modifications to the design, my own GuildWarsAlliance style was updated in under 5 hours, and that was without any past experience with subSilver2.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

rreptile wrote:Frankly, I would rather be running the phpBB rather than going through the hassle of upgrading, knowing that only a short time later, there will be yet another necessary upgrade.
also note the time span between phpbb2 and phpbb3. ;)
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

I think that before deciding whether you want to upgrade or not you should ask yourself a few questions.

The most important one being: "What does phpBB3 have to offer that I don´t have in my current phpBB2, and do I really need those things"?

Another significant question is: "Are all the MODs I have installed in my phpBB2 available for phpBB3"?

You might want to compress those questions in one more simple one: "Am I happy with my current phpBB2"?

It's only after considering those questions that you can really take a decision.

I for myself find that my phpBB2 board is perfectly fine as it is, that's why I prefer to stick with it, for the time being. ;)
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Dogs and things wrote:The most important one being: "What does phpBB3 have to offer that I don´t have in my current phpBB2, and do I really need those things"?
I agree that this is the most important question, and the answer is support, security updates and bug fixes. And yes most users really need those things. IMHO nobody should be staying on 2.0.x how good the reason might be. Sooner or later you will run into problems on an outdated and unsupported installation, and to whom will you go than?
If you aren't for 200% certain that you can handle these possible issues (varying from small bugs to major security issues) you should already have been converted to 3.0.x.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Highway of Life
Former Team Member

In addition to those, you’ll need to ask yourself a few other questions:

How important is security to me?

How important is support from phpBB.com to me?

Do I want to run on up-to-date, supported software or does it not matter?

Does the benefit of support, security, stability and features outweigh the time it would take to upgrade?
Dogs and things

For the moment I am convinced that any problems I might run into can be overcome without phpbb.com's help as support etc. can be obtained elsewhere.

This is not entirely true though, it would be of great help if at least the phpBB2 forums will remain available for consultation. Their content is of invaluable importance, although their remaining or disappearing will not be of trivial importance when it comes to my decision to stick with phpBB2. And anyway, I don´t think I will want to make any mayor changes to my board, it is fine as it is.

If finally I find out that I was wrong the moment will have arrived that I will have no other choice than to upgrade. ;)
Highway of Life
Former Team Member

If remaining on phpBB2 is the right choice for you, that's your decision, but it is unnecessary to discourage others from upgrading to a much more secure, stable and supported version of the software.
Dogs and things

What do you mean to say, that I should just shut up and not share my thoughts? :o
Highway of Life
Former Team Member

No, please read my post again.
stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller »

What does phpBB2's retirement mean for me?
Absolutely nothing at all ;)

But when I heard the news about phpBB3 I was a bit sorry.
Mostly because I just had learned how to mod phpBB2 and like thread starter had all the mods that I wanted.

I converted my phpbb2 board to phpBB3 when it was in RC5 stage. The good thing here is that you can practice as much as you want before doing it for real.
It was challenging to make changes because of the prosilver style, very different to the style I knew from 2.
But it was also a lot of fun.

I quickly fell in love with phpBB. With phpBB3 I am more hooked than ever.

Carpe Diem, seize the day my friend.
She will make you happier than ever :mrgreen:
I am done with phpBB
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

Daniel Exe wrote:Upgrading a phpBB2 style to phpBB3 shouldn't take any longer than 3-4 hours if you're basing it on subSilver2. Even with quite some modifications to the design, my own GuildWarsAlliance style was updated in under 5 hours, and that was without any past experience with subSilver2.
And even if upgrading the style does take longer, that isn't downtime for your forum. All of the work of style tweaking and conversion can be done offline, long before the conversion is scheduled to take place.
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Exactly. So styles certainly shouldn't be a reason for not upgrading.

And btw, those numbers I offered are actually fairly sceptic. I mean, the 5 hours I spent updating my phpBB style actually consisted of probably 50% of actual work, 50% of watching a Two and a Half Men marathon. xD Cause really, when it comes down to it, you already have everything you need for the update - it's essentially copy-paste work, but with some intelligence in terms of placement, and the odd change.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

And end of an era. oh god, the vanilla style was horrible looking. I wont visit sites that use phpbb2 still.. it's like hopping on a PC with windows98 installed. thank goodness for phpbb3.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”