Spiders & bots to add to phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Schwpz

Re: Spiders & bots to add to phpBB

Post by Schwpz »

Just found the following entry while looking at my forums' "View Online" panel:

Code: Select all

Guest IP: 84.23.57.211 » Whois

xpymep.exe
Any thoughts? o.o
..:: PlanetZot.com - Your ultimate source for animation! ^^
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Schwpz wrote:Just found the following entry while looking at my forums' "View Online" panel:

Code: Select all

Guest IP: 84.23.57.211 » Whois

xpymep.exe
Any thoughts? o.o
Bad bot

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2008995&start=0#p12210895
J_M

Post by J_M »

I have found this several times in the searched items this past year: "search this forum"

It doesn't yield any particularly interesting results when searching on "search this forum". Would something like the be the result of a "bot"? Would they be posting items in search fields?

thanks.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

J_M wrote:I have found this several times in the searched items this past year: "search this forum"

It doesn't yield any particularly interesting results when searching on "search this forum". Would something like the be the result of a "bot"? Would they be posting items in search fields?
If you're talking about the search box at the top of forum pages, that's just "background text" to let you know that you can type into the box to search just that forum for whatever. If you click in the box, you'll notice that the text disappears.

There's also a similar search box at the top of topic pages (like this) saying "Search this topic". They have nothing to do with bots.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
J_M

Post by J_M »

Hi Steve

When I'm logged in as Admin, I can see the recent searches at the bottom of the Advanced Search page. Most of the time there are relevant search words or phrases that have been logged. But sometimes I see that "search this forum" has been entered into the search field and is logged in as something that has been searched.

I'm just wondering if there is something that the bots are poaching for, of this is just an odd behavior of a bot that has searched on "search this forum". I've seen this roughly a dozen times over the past month.

thanks.

j
J_M

Post by J_M »

I just tested an empty search (no words in the search field) and "search" appears as a logged search in the advanced page when logged in as Admin.

There must be another similar search that puts "search this forum" when carried out without adding any search words.

thanks

Jeff
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

J_M wrote: When I'm logged in as Admin, I can see the recent searches at the bottom of the Advanced Search page. Most of the time there are relevant search words or phrases that have been logged. But sometimes I see that "search this forum" has been entered into the search field and is logged in as something that has been searched.
Wow, I've never noticed that Recent searches feature (maybe nobody has searched on my small board or maybe I haven't). That's pretty cool.
J_M wrote:I just tested an empty search (no words in the search field) and "search" appears as a logged search in the advanced page when logged in as Admin.

There must be another similar search that puts "search this forum" when carried out without adding any search words.
Yes, as I mentioned in my previous topic, the search box on a forum page (to the right of the New Topic button in ProSilver) contains that text. If you click the Search button without typing in any text, you're doing a search for "Search this forum".

So either users think that button will take them to a search page or some automated script is clicking the button. If it was an automated script, though, I suspect that you'd also see "Search this topic" in the list.

Anyway, this is off-topic (it's not about a bot to add to phpBB), so if you have further questions about it, I suggest asking in the Support Forum. But thanks for showing me a feature that I didn't know about. :)

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
fac7orx

Post by fac7orx »

I want to apologize for being a bit confused here, but is the latest version of the script still on this site?

http://phpbb-bots.blogspot.com/

I downloaded it, but in the changelog description at the top it says "5.5: Update by Pony99CA on May 27, 2012" This suggests that the file may have not been updated in almost a year. Is there another link or something I should be looking at?

Again sorry for the confusion, I haven't been following this topic lately and I just want to make sure I am looking in the right place. Thank you.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

The latest official version is linked to in my signature (which is 5.5). There is also a manage_bots 6.0 Beta, but I haven't gotten much feedback about it, so I haven't made it official yet. (I also haven't had a lot of time for maintaining it lately.)

Steve
Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

On that page I link to the post by Steve here in this thread so the script is only available in one place.

/Marcus
J_M

Post by J_M »

when looking at who is online, I realize that if it says that the guest if viewing the members, user control etc that they aren't actually seeing anything.

But would this action be something that is programmed into a bot? For example do the instructions in the bot say to go to registration, or user panel or memberlist. Or, is it showing up in these areas only because it is programmed to go everywhere?

I don't think that I have seen legitimate bots in those areas, so as a result if an unregistered guest is in an area that it shouldn't be, can this be construed as intentional bad behavior and therefore a bad bot?

thanks for your help.

j
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

most of the bots simply go to every page on the site, that is their purpose to index all of the pages.

they do not see any of them, they only see the code etc.

robet
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
J_M

Post by J_M »

thanks Robet
J_M

Post by J_M »

deleted- found an answer.

j
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:most of the bots simply go to every page on the site, that is their purpose to index all of the pages.

they do not see any of them, they only see the code etc.
While what you say is true (if "code" means "HTML"), that HTML is generated dynamically based on your permissions, and you have to treat things differently depending on the bot.

For bots in the phpBB Bots list, I don't believe that UCP and Registration links are shown. For bots not in the Bots list, they're treated as Guests, so they should see the Registration link but not the UCP link. In either case, if a Guest is attempting to access the UCP (or MCP or ACP or anything else that they don't have permission to access), it's a pretty safe bet that they accessed that URL directly.

Spambots like Xrumer probably have ways to decide what type of board or blog a site is running and take appropriate action to access those pages directly.

Steve

Return to “phpBB Discussion”