What about Ajax for phpbb4... AjaxBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
PauGNU
Translator

What about Ajax for phpbb4... AjaxBB?

Post by PauGNU »

Hi!

I was wondering... what do you think about phpbb4 on Ajax?, of course it should be AjaxBB or something like that. I think that this is the natural evolution of phpbb, it has no sense to reload every time the website when we are browsing forums, and it seems that Ajax is the best solution, isn't it?.

Just wondering...

jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Re: What about Ajax for phpbb4... AjaxBB?

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Should be great for use. Might have something like that in a year or so?
:mrgreen: Stay Cool!
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Ajax is over-hyped in my opinion. It seems like like any new technology that comes out; people want to use it to solve everything, create world peace, and feed the hungry. Not that there's anything wrong with world peace, it's just that Ajax isn't the tool. :) It has a place but using it as the core architecture for the entire board is probably not appropriate.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Yep, but if it could be used to allow the forum to automatically update without having refresh the page would be cool.

But then again, that will more than likely turn Boards into Chat rooms. It could even get a bit annoying to watch forum updating/changing all the time on some very high traffic forums.
:mrgreen: Stay Cool!
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Ajax would be good for things like quick replying, logging in etc. It would not be as good for browsing forums.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

This would also create a tremendous amount of server load which, on a large board, is not a good thing. If every user had one page or more constantly checking to see if there was new data I'm sure this site would be brought to its knees very quickly, as would many others.

As for logging in, I'd much rather do that via a standard method. More secure. Also, quick replying is unlikely as that's most likely not going to be a default feature ever as far as I know -- besides, isn't there a MOD for that?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Take a look at this, and that's just a simplified look.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
GHS
Name: Guilherme Sehn

Post by GHS »

Imo, ajax isn't insecure, if it be well-programmed.

I think it'd be very cool if phpBB implements ajax soon, but not for every thing, only for quick editing and some other things that's really not necessary reload the page, with no-obstrutive javascript.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I see no way Ajax can be harmful as long as you are careful. I'm planning of implementing more ajax onto my website later which will include login.
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

If ajax is to be implemented it should only be done to enhance the ease of editing and adding stuff.

For example, if you post a topic, then have an AJAX box making a preview or something.
Or for moderators, when editing a post, they click edit and get inline edit features for the post.

It should not be implemented to drive the entire board. I mean what is the difference for example in pagination to load only the new topic list(which is almost all data) or just a new page.
SneakySimian

Post by SneakySimian »

iWisdom wrote:This would also create a tremendous amount of server load which, on a large board, is not a good thing. If every user had one page or more constantly checking to see if there was new data I'm sure this site would be brought to its knees very quickly, as would many others.

As for logging in, I'd much rather do that via a standard method. More secure. Also, quick replying is unlikely as that's most likely not going to be a default feature ever as far as I know -- besides, isn't there a MOD for that?
AJAX can and does reduce server load.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Sure. Since it's like a persistent connection, it can also increase server load by artificially increasing the number of active users/HTTP requests, and so in the case of a forum product, it arguably would.
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

AJAX can enhance the user-friendliness and "fun" of an application. It can also do the exact opposite if not done well.
But the one thing it certainly does not do is reducing the server load. AJAX functions lead to more request to the server, each request takes roughly the same amount of work, regardless if it's a full-blown page view or "just" an update. The server script has to set up authentication and pretty much everything just as for the "normal" request. The difference is the format the response takes.

Anyhow, we are looking into possible AJAX functions for the next release.
Last edited by Kellanved on Sun May 11, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
SneakySimian

Post by SneakySimian »

Kellanved wrote:
AJAX can enhance the user-friendliness and "fun" of an application. It can also do the exact opposite of not done well.
But the one thing it certainly does not do is reducing the server load. AJAX functions lead to more request to the server, each request takes roughly the same amount of work, regardless if it's a full-blown page view or "just" an update. The server script has to set up authentication and pretty much everything just as for the "normal" request. The difference is the format the response takes.

Anyhow, we are looking into possible AJAX functions for the next release.
It certainly can reduce server load.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”