Can i Please remove comments from phpbb files

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
smartness

Can i Please remove comments from phpbb files

Post by smartness » Sat May 10, 2008 12:06 pm

hi guys, i have a question....

can i remove the coments from the .php files from phpbb?

example:
/**
* @package phpBB3
* @version $Id: viewonline.php 8479 2008-03-29 00:22:48Z naderman $
* @copyright (c) 2005 phpBB Group
* @license h**p://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
*/
this doesnt appear anywhere or? so this will help load pages faster, and save some bandwidth?

can i remove these comments or not?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Can i Please remove comments from phpbb files

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 10, 2008 1:10 pm

It will not make the pages load faster. Comments are ignored by PHP.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat May 10, 2008 1:38 pm

smartness wrote:so this will help load pages faster, and save some bandwidth?
It will do neither of those things, and you'll have to remember to do it again every time you upgrade, so the benefit is not really there.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

smartness

Post by smartness » Sat May 10, 2008 2:11 pm

hmm....

but if i remove them, i do half of the work, something like help the server or?

SneakySimian

Post by SneakySimian » Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Removing the copyright from the files is illegal. I'd suggest keeping the comments in there.

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon » Sat May 10, 2008 6:10 pm

SneakySimian wrote:Removing the copyright from the files is illegal.
Explain?

If you mean the gpl, I'm on a twist mode then, because the user don't release the files, it is for his own site.
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Sat May 10, 2008 7:54 pm

The GPL expressively forbids removing any copyright notices. Moreover, the comments have no impact on performance; especially not if an opcode cache is used (which is recommended).
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:18 am

smartness wrote: this doesnt appear anywhere or? so this will help load pages faster, and save some bandwidth?
You seem to have the mistaken idea that PHP files are sent to user's PCs, and executed there.
They are not. The PHP code is interpreted on the web server. The information you want to delete is never sent to the user at all.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

coaster01

Post by coaster01 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:15 am

But it's OK to ADD your own comments, so long as the original (c) isn't removed, isn't that correct?
~Tim~

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Sun May 11, 2008 1:41 am

coaster01 wrote:But it's OK to ADD your own comments, so long as the original (c) isn't removed, isn't that correct?
That's correct, if it's done the correct way.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

Superman859

Post by Superman859 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Leave the comments in. While it may be required, they are extremely useful if you ever go into work on the code yourself. There are comments all over the place (a good thing), and I don't see why you would want to take the time to go in and delete them. They will not save bandwidth / make anything load faster, and they are good things to have. No point in deleting them.

Even if the user was getting the comments transferred to their PC (which they are not, PHP is parsed and comments ignored before anything is sent to the user), it still wouldn't make a difference in speed / bandwidth. They are purely text, and text is super small these days. You could still be using a 28.8k modem and wouldn't have any problem loading the 'comment text' quickly. As for bandwidth, that is hardly an issue for almost all servers as most hosts provide plenty with room to spare. The only time to worry about using it up is if you have a huge site, in which case you probably would have known all of the above. If you are like the rest of us then there is no need to worry. I consider my site to have a steady stream of good traffic and I use about 2% of my bandwidth allotment each month, with images and audio all over the site.

smartness

Post by smartness » Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm

OK guys thnx... i wont remove them... i dont want to miss the great support or?
= :mrgreen:

byee... this can be closed... 8-)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”