My dissapointments with phpBB3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
iBotPeaches

My dissapointments with phpBB3

Post by iBotPeaches » Wed May 28, 2008 10:25 pm

First off, I would like to say I'm not bashing any work. I love phpBB3 and plan to use it all the time. Over a few months though I've found some annoying features.

Banning
Lets give a scenario.
User A is in chat, and is flaming a user. I tell the guy to settle down and he won't. Now is the time for a perfect 1 hour ban. I click the user from Handyman's chat and it brings up the user page. From that page, even though I'm an admin I see no feature to select a ban. I then click "Administrate User" I enter my password (alphanumerical) takes forever... And now the user ACP page is loaded. I then scroll down to the bottom and use Quick Tools, "Ban by user name" Unfortunately there is no option to select anything, but a permanent ban. I give him that, then go to the ACP banning page in hopes to change the ban to 1 hour. I cannot change a ban once its started. I can click the ban and it loads up the reasons below, but no change. So I have to remove the ban, click "find member" but wait I forgot the member. I open another tab, find the post and now the members name. I copy N paste it into the Ban User name ACP page, and set the 1 hour time and write the description in. Over a course of about 5 minutes I've banned a user for 1 hour that other forums take 2 clicks.

The fix
I should be able to click a user name, and if I have the permissions a little drop down bar below the user name should have all those cool features
"ban by user name"
"ban by etc etc"

I then could select "ban by user name" and more forms appear below. Like Length of ban, reason for admins, reason for public. This would help so much more for a site that encounters lots of errors.

I'm sorry off to lunch, I'll add my others soon.

Elias
Name: Elias

Re: My dissapointments with phpBB3

Post by Elias » Wed May 28, 2008 11:27 pm

I think there is an user admin list where you can do all that in 1-2 clicks.

Search for the MOD as i forgot the name.

EY
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Thu May 29, 2008 7:21 am

iBotPeaches wrote:I click the user from Handyman's chat and it brings up the user page. From that page, even though I'm an admin I see no feature to select a ban.
You mean the user profile, I suppose? (I have no idea what Handyman's chat is, I suppose it is a mod). I do see, however, a link there to "User notes" (I am using a translation, so I'm not sure what the exact wording is in English). That list takes me to what is essentially the MCP for that user, which has to the left an option "Ban". When I click that, I find the particular user pre-filled into the form, which gives me several options for ban-period, including 1 hour. (Actually, I think it would make more sense for the link to be labeled "Moderate user" or something like that, because it gives access to much more than just the user notes).

This is probably down to permissions. The user I was testing this with, is a global moderator. Not sure what role assignments, but I didn't change it much from stock phpBB3.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm

iBotPeaches wrote:Banning
Lets give a scenario.
User A is in chat, and is flaming a user. I tell the guy to settle down and he won't. Now is the time for a perfect 1 hour ban. I click the user from Handyman's chat and it brings up the user page. [...]
Click post details, click banning, select 1 hour, done.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Just to clarify a bit, the button in the blue rectangle is the posting details button.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Return to “phpBB Discussion”