What is the proper way to refer a thread on a .php config file?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Sopalajo de Arrierez

What is the proper way to refer a thread on a .php config file?

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez »

I would like to change some messages on the "commom.php" file for my forum so they will include links to threads.

Something like:
Please refer to this thread for help: <Link to the thread>
I have seen some links inside the "common.php" file, like this one:

Code: Select all

Traducción al español por <a href="http://www.phpbb-es.com/">phpBB España</a>
Then, as long as my destination thread is (note the root of the forum at "/lademos" on the hosting site):

https://examplesite.com/lademos/viewforum.php?f=9
... I could maybe write :

Please refer to this thread <a href="https://examplesite.com/lademos/viewforum.php?f=9">for help</a>
... but I think I need some link relative to the root path (for the case I would need to migrate it later). Maybe:

Please refer to this thread <a href="<<root>/viewforum.php?f=9">for help</a>
Could some one please help me?

(Excuse for the newbie question, but I have not been able to find it on the search engine; maybe I am not using the correct words, or I should rather search on a PHP or HTML forum)
david63

Re: What is the proper way to refer a thread on a .php config file?

Post by david63 »

If you are in common.php then the root path is already defined in the $phpbb_root_path variable which you can use.

(p.s. - phpBB does not have threads, it has topics!)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Sopalajo de Arrierez

david63 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:56 pm If you are in common.php then the root path is already defined in the $phpbb_root_path variable which you can use.
Could you please expand with an example? (based on my proposed case would be great)
david63 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:56 pm(p.s. - phpBB does not have threads, it has topics!)
Ups... sorry.
Er... but what is the difference?
Last edited by Sopalajo de Arrierez on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

A threaded bulletin board allows people to respond directly to any of the messages in the discussion and their reply will appear next to that message. A flat topic driven bulletin board (as per phpBB) only displays new replies at the end of it and is the easiest of the two to navigate and makes more sense to me.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Sopalajo de Arrierez

Mick wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:53 am A threaded bulletin board allows people to respond directly to any of the messages in the discussion and their reply will appear next to that message. A flat topic driven bulletin board (as per phpBB) only displays new replies at the end of it and is the easiest of the two to navigate and makes more sense to me.
All right, thanks you for explaining.
I must agree with you: threaded discussion would generate a tree structure only practical on specific cases.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”