REST API & the curious case of disappearing PMs

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
gelite

REST API & the curious case of disappearing PMs

Post by gelite »

Our forum is building an app and we have developed a relatively complete and functional REST API for phpBB for it. However in beta testing we've discovered a perplexing bug. After someone uses the app and its REST API, PMs do not appear in his/her inbox for some time. These PMs may be sent via the forum, not the app. Interestingly however, they are still visible in the app (yet we haven't modified any phpBB code). Moreover, if I send a PM (using the forum) from another account of mine to my account that used the app and where PMs are invisible, suddenly all PMs that were previously invisible will show up in my inbox (on the forum).

If this post seems sparse on details it's because I don't even know where to look or how this could be happening.
AmigoJack

Re: REST API & the curious case of disappearing PMs

Post by AmigoJack »

gelite wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:30 pmwe have developed a relatively complete and functional REST API
we haven't modified any phpBB code
In one way this is true, but in another way you can't use phpBB functions and then wonder if the outcome is not what you expected - you clearly seem to miss calling something or are even using something wrong. Why using a REST approach when HTTP is already right there to act upon? Show me the complete code for both composing and reading PMs and I might tell you what's wrong with it.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
gelite

Post by gelite »

Hey there, very glad to see a response from you. Many years ago you helped us cache our online users list. We still use your modification. :)

To your question of why we chose to do REST API- our programmers really wanted to do it, and the initial design of the app was much simpler than what we ended up doing. Initially we just wanted to enable users to read/reply to topics. Eventually though we chose to make a much more complete client for our forum and continued developing our REST API.

Please check your PMs, I've sent you the relevant files. Thank you.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

lucky-angel wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 ama generic http response?
I don't understand the question - what you can click thru can also be sent/received programmatically, there's no step in phpBB where you'd have to solve a CAPTCHA to proceed.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

lucky-angel wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pmIs there a plugin i can get that will accommodate a standard web service?
You should have a search of the extensions forums and, if you don’t find what you need, you can make an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

lucky-angel wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 amI don't mind paying for the implementation
It's not allowed to hire through this board. However, there are plenty of reputable people around here. We suggest you take a look at the signatures of prominent team or community members who mention they are willing to carry out such work and send these people a private message. Or we can help you in the support forums, for free!

Just make an extension request, if there is something available I’m sure someone will help you otherwise someone may make an extension for you.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”