Meta Description?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
SMP1977

Re: Meta Description?

Post by SMP1977 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 pm
No, you have to create them yourself with 3.2. If you look at an older version of prosilver overall_header.html say 3.0.11 you'll see:

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
I think the description can be relevant but the keywords not so much. There is a lot of information available on the net about keywords and description.

I'm saying all this and there may be an extension for it?
So if i am reading and understanding this correctly, i can copy this code featured in this quoted text above, paste it into my overall_header, and add the info i want to add inbetween the red quotation marks?

Where in the .html file do i paste this code?

it is worth nothing that i am on Ver. 3.2.5

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Meta Description?

Post by thecoalman » Mon May 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Correct, you would put it between the <head> tags. However this is going to put the same description on every page. Descriptions should be unique or none at all. This will work better because it's dynamic.

Code: Select all

<meta name="description" content="<!-- IF S_INDEX -->{SITE_DESCRIPTION}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_VIEWFORUM -->{FORUM_DESC}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC -->{PAGE_TITLE} &#124; {FORUM_DESC}<!-- IF PREVIOUS_PAGE --> &#124; Page {ON_PAGE}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- ENDIF -->" />
The keywords are largely irrelevant but should also be unique and that is not easy to accomplish.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”