Variable for post content in email folder

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
m707

Variable for post content in email folder

Post by m707 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Since 3.2 atom feeds stopped working here[1] and I see more and more users loose their delight in participating as they have to invest some additional clicks before they kown whats going on now :(. It's a pity I know, but what can I do?

I told everybody to subscribe to the forums he need (without recursive option a pain in the ass). However, this will give him only a "there is something new click here" instead of the whole post in his inbox.

I found out that these messages are generated in .../language/My$LANG/email/ directory and this txt files use variables eg {U-TOPIC} or {TOPIC_NAME}:

Is there any variable that matches the post content itself (preferable rendered as good as the atom feeds used to)?
or
Even a list of all variables I could use here?
or
Any possibility to gernerate such thing on my own (I am no coder, jsut some c&p skills ;))?

One additional point. There are some notifications saying:

"you won't get any further notification before you visited the forum/topic ..."

any idea how to change this workflow and send notifications for each new post to everybody subscribed to the topic/forum no matter if $USER visited whatsoever page in the meantime.

TIA.

[1] https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15085

AmigoJack

Re: Variable for post content in email folder

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 am

m707 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm
Is there any variable that matches the post content itself
No. If, then it would waste performance for preparing it to the template for each email when by default it isn't used. Sounds logical, eh?
m707 wrote:
a list of all variables I could use here
Look into /phpbb/notification/type/*.php for uppercase literals, i.e. in post.php you have:

Code: Select all

return array(
	'AUTHOR_NAME'
	'POST_SUBJECT'
	'TOPIC_TITLE'
	'U_VIEW_POST'
	'U_NEWEST_POST'
	'U_TOPIC'	
	'U_VIEW_TOPIC'
	'U_FORUM'
	'U_STOP_WATCHING_TOPIC'
);
That's what you can use.
m707 wrote:
how to change this workflow and send notifications for each new post
It's a BBS and as such not a Usenet newsgroup - why using a website if you want to do everything by email anyway?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

m707

Re: Variable for post content in email folder

Post by m707 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks.You are right probably I should consider again if phpbb is the right tool for my task.

I have a closed group of people knowing each other in person and communicating in various ways with each other.
The board is used for regulated communication, where I have to proof everybody who is entitled to was informed.
Communication has to follow some rules, eg: proposal ->discussion -> approval -> action -> review
Moreover I have to proove to external 3rd parties that the communication followed those rules and that is where the "website" component of phpbb is rather smart.
I would prefer if everybody would use the board for concerned communication only of course. In addition would appreciated if everybody would visit the website regualry - however, that's beyond my influence :(.

Anyhow, thanks for your hint.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”