Create CUSTOM fields on the POSTING Page?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
imrobertson

Create CUSTOM fields on the POSTING Page?

Post by imrobertson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:47 pm

On the "POST A NEW TOPIC PAGE" there is simply the SUBJECT input text and the MESSAGE text area.

I need to add new fields to this page and have them stored in the database. I want to add a "category" field and a "keyword" field.

Are there any instructions for creating custom fields on this page? I've been searching for days and all I can find are profile customisations!

Any help would be gratefully received.

AmigoJack

Re: Create CUSTOM fields on the POSTING Page?

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 am

They're named "custom profile fields", not "custom fields". Which should pretty much explain why they aren't available in the editor.

Furthermore having categories and/or keywords is pretty pointless if you can't search for those - most users I've encountered who wanted to have additional fields always only thought about entering and displaying them, but never about how someone could filter posts/topics by just those new fields. Based on that and since posts are subject to the board search I can only suggest you're using the post text directly for entering your categories and/or keywords (that way you're halfway forced to use meaningful words and you can skip words which are already used in your post text).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

imrobertson

Re: Create CUSTOM fields on the POSTING Page?

Post by imrobertson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks for your reply - it is most appreciated! I think I'd assumed that PROFILE fields related to just registration/user details and not the posting side too!

I have integrated phpbb with elasticsearch and written a custom php indexer - so the fields will definitely be useful! Cheers!

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”