IP in registration form

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: IP in registration form

Post by KevC »

Any maths equation you put in to google is run through their calculator. You just get a picture of it and the answer (which I knew already anyway).
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
fastreplies
I've Been Banned!

Post by fastreplies »

Again, you're assuming that everyone is innocent thus we'll be blocking
legitimate users just because of a few bad apples and you would be right
if millions and millions of good users will be effected but if you look this way,
you'll see our point.

Even if we block 1,000 IPs, then worse case scenario, we would deny access to,
let say 10,000 users, whereas given that there would be millions who won't have
problems to joying forum would be those we are looking for.

:)

fastreplies
fastreplies
I've Been Banned!

Post by fastreplies »

KevC wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:57 pmAny maths equation you put in to google is run through their calculator. You just get a picture of it and the answer (which I knew already anyway).
1. Ah, I see, Bot is going to use "Calculator", right?
2. If you remember your 3rd grade math.

But try this.
Ask a few of your friend "how much two plus two divided by two"
and you will be amazed how many of them will answer "Two"

fastreplies
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

We see it time and again. Any sites with general knowledge style questions that you can search the answer to get cracked very quickly indeed. Things that require logic to solve like asking them about a specific word on the site or their site logo are much much harder to beat for the bots and often require people being paid $1 an hour to find the answers and add them to the dictionary lists of questions they search to get the answer for your site. Standard maths questions are very simple for them.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

no offense but you seem to know more than all the rest of us that have been doing this for a long time. I have to wonder why you bother coming here and asking for advice/help if you are going to simply argue about the answers you get.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
fastreplies
I've Been Banned!

Post by fastreplies »

KevC wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:16 pm$1 an hour to find the answers and add them to the dictionary lists
For the same $1 they can find any answer no matter how it's generated. Right?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pm no offense but you seem to know more than all the rest of us that have been doing this for a long time.
No offense, not more but something different, you most likely don't know/encounter
as I did since after 1990 in my experiences, not to mention points of our views, mostly
when there is no definite answer, who is wrong or right as this subject so far shown.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pmI have to wonder why you bother coming here and asking for advice/help if you are going to simply argue about the answers you get.
Well, first because I don't have every answer and second, being disagree about some
subject is not such a bad thing and third, there is nothing said in here written in stone
and finally, I hope you're not getting offended if others have their opinions about same
subjects you believe in and pitch them like a gospel.

fastreplies
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

fastreplies wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm For the same $1 they can find any answer no matter how it's generated. Right?
Yep but that's for the ones that are not common enough to have been added to the lists already. Maths is easy. They can do that. Things that require them to understand the question in the language of the board and make a logical decision as to the answer take them a lot longer to get to.

If you want to keep your question and you think its working, that's fine. It will get beaten though and when it does you'll encounter a big flood. So just be prepared for that. We've seen it many times with maths questions.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

fastreplies wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm But try this.
And they would be correct.
Because you are using spoken language which interprets operations according to linguistic rules, in this case sequentially.
The correct question you want to ask (with words) is: how much is the sum of two and two, divided by two? (mind that this is not the same as : what is the sum of two, and two divided by two? - spoken language is lacking in cases like this).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
fastreplies
I've Been Banned!

Post by fastreplies »

warmweer wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 pm
fastreplies wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm But try this.
And they would be correct.
Because you are using spoken language which interprets operations according to linguistic rules, in this case sequentially.
The correct question you want to ask (with words) is: how much is the sum of two and two, divided by two? (mind that this is not the same as : what is the sum of two, and two divided by two? - spoken language is lacking in cases like this).
Wrong, wrong, wrong
What if teacher writes it on blackboard without asking students anything?
As I recall my 3rd grade teacher does it exactly like that, she write: "2 + 2 ÷ 2 = ?"
So, even if teacher or student is deaf, it doesn't matter, because that wouldn't
change the one and only silently written in question math's rule

Another reason why you're making wrong point is:
What if formula written in way it should be executed "2 + (2 ÷ 2) = ?" or
------ = ? would you then first to add and then divide?
2 ÷ 2

For some reason, even if we know better, we'll answer "2" because we
just follow string as it written and only after buzz sounds "wrong answer"
we stop and to think for a while and only then get correct answer.

Bot can't do complex math and even if code send it to Google for an answer,
there is none, or as suggested, it will find one by using G's calculator simply
because whoever created Bot never intend to try solve something but to try
and if it's fail, forget it and move to next victim.

fastreplies
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.12.21 PM.jpg
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
fastreplies
I've Been Banned!

Post by fastreplies »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:13 pm Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.12.21 PM.jpg
Come on man, you're kidding me, right?
Are you insisting that Bot will grab formula, then using G. will get calculator result,
somehow read it then go back to forum and post an answer? Sounds crazy to me.

Why crazy, because real people wouldn't bother to go to all those troubles, but Bot...?

fastreplies
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you are really showing how little you understand about how the register/spam bots work. they have been able to run your question in google and then try a list of answers all automatically for a long time now. and yes, the people who create these bots do know how to do that.
the bot can run thousands of possible answers or until they hit your limit of tries. they can also, mark your board to come back to later and run the list where it left off until it hits your limit of tries again, etc. etc.

you can certainly set up your board and run it any way that you desire and I truly wish you luck with it. however, you are making work for yourself that you do not have to. and if you follow the advice you get here from people that have been dealing with this exact problem for years, you will likely be much happier in the long run.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

fastreplies wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 pm ...
Wrong, wrong, wrong
What if teacher writes it on blackboard without asking students anything?
1. As I recall my 3rd grade teacher does it exactly like that, she write: "2 + 2 ÷ 2 = ?"
So, even if teacher or student is deaf, it doesn't matter, because that wouldn't
change the one and only silently written in question math's rule

2. Another reason why you're making wrong point is:
What if formula written in way it should be executed "2 + (2 ÷ 2) = ?" or
------ = ? would you then first to add and then divide?
2 ÷ 2
1. read my post again and understand the difference between spoken and written arithmetic.
If your teacher writes that then the order of the computation is clear and the answer is 2 +2/2 = 3

If the teacher speaks out the two plus two divided by two, then computation runs sequentially (the reason is plain simple natural behaviour: when a calculation becomes longer, it's almost impossible to remember the order of everything (most people can't even remember and repeat 7 digits on first reading) but is it relatively easy to perform each calculation sequentially (as they come by) and that is the natural way of doing it .

2. is a completely different calculation which is read (and spoken) as : (notice that you didn't use a + here)
two divided by two divided by two ... or as two, divided by two, divided by two or as .... You won't hear the comma's and the result will vary on how it's ' interpreted by the listener, but usually it'll be one half. Bots will always get it "right" (2) when "reading" this as 2/ (2:2).
The point is, if you use a simple calculation as a Q&A, the user knows that x and : should be exectuted before + an -. and Google (and bots) also know that : so it's bad Q&A, in the other case where your users don't follow the correct rules, they won't find the correct answer and won't be able to register.

I guarantee that if you would have a spoken Q & A, specifically: what is the answer to two plus two divided by two, your potential members will give the linguistic answer (3), but an advanced audiobot could well answer that one arithmetically) correct.
Conclusion: make you Q&A clear and simple for the user, but not for the bots .

edit: had to correct some calculations, since i started getting mixed up myself listening to the different ways the divisions can be interpreted.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You should Google “What can spam bots do”, I think you’ll be very surprised.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

fastreplies wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 pm
Come on man, you're kidding me, right?
Are you insisting that Bot will grab formula, then using G. will get calculator result,
somehow read it then go back to forum and post an answer? Sounds crazy to me.
Not kidding. Not crazy. But you know best.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”