Youtube videos in autoplay

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
jenny1959

Youtube videos in autoplay

Post by jenny1959 »

Good evening,

New to the community so don't know if I am in the right place.

I am looking for help for my forum which is in phpbb3.2

up until two months ago I was able insert youtube video in autoplay
using this code :

Code: Select all

<p align="center"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXX?version =3&amp;autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="25"></embed></p>
But now it no longer works - we can still insert the videos and see them but they do not load up
in autoplay.

I was told to try this code :

<iframe width="300" height="63" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXXX?&autoplay=1 frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
but it also does not upload the videos in autoplay.

Can someone please help me.

Thank you
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Youtube videos in autoplay

Post by thecoalman »

Google gives the code as this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xyz123" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There is an extension that will automatically convert Youtube URL's and others to embedded media. You only need to post the URL in the post and it supports multiple formats of the URL.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/

FYI the second snippet of code you posted is missing a " after the URL, it should be like this:

<iframe width="300" height="63" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXXX?&autoplay=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
jenny1959

Post by jenny1959 »

Good morning and thank you for answering.

I have tried your suggestions but here is what I get.

Thank you
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you can't just post that code. it will only work as a bbcode
or, if you are going to use the extension mentioned you only post the url of the video, not the iframe embed code.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
SlobberySam

Post by SlobberySam »

Autoplay behavior for Google Chrome has been changed within the last few months, as described here.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

SlobberySam wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm Autoplay behavior for Google Chrome has been changed within the last few months, as described here.
curious, why do you assume they are using google chrome? did I miss something?
besides, I don't think that chrome's behaviour about autoplay would have anything to do with a bbcode and youtube's parameters.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

jenny1959 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:11 pm Good morning and thank you for answering.

I have tried your suggestions but here is what I get.
To be able to get that black baox even if empty would indicate you have a modification that allows direct HTML input, no thing exists in phpBB software or any of the extensions available here because of the security issues. No support can be given for this here, even if we tried it would just be guesses. You would have to inquire where you obtained the modification.

My suggestions is to eliminate the modification and instead use the media embed extension I suggested earlier. One again when that is isntalled you merely have to post a youtube URL and it will convert it to embedded video.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”