integrate phpBB into website

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
tunesbyjames

integrate phpBB into website

Post by tunesbyjames »

hello all. what is the best way to integrate phpBB into a website as part of the menu/tab? A perfect example of this is a website I frequently visit: http://www.teamfortress.tv/

You can see they have a landing page, but when you click 'Forums', it seamlessly integrates into the website. I don't think they are using phpBB, but it is still something that looks/runs smooth. I am going to be creating a website, but I want my current forums integrated into it.

Not sure if I should use Wordpress? But I don't know if Wordpress allows for seamless integration of phpBB?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solicitation Deleted
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Re: integrate phpBB into website

Post by JLA »

tunesbyjames wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 pm hello all. what is the best way to integrate phpBB into a website as part of the menu/tab? A perfect example of this is a website I frequently visit: http://www.teamfortress.tv/

You can see they have a landing page, but when you click 'Forums', it seamlessly integrates into the website. I don't think they are using phpBB, but it is still something that looks/runs smooth. I am going to be creating a website, but I want my current forums integrated into it.

Not sure if I should use Wordpress? But I don't know if Wordpress allows for seamless integration of phpBB?
You should be able to integrate it with no issues. You need to choose a template for PHPBB that matches your new website's design or choose a website design that matches the PHPBB template that you like. Simple integration just involves on adding a menu item unless you are needing something more detailed.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

do you have your new website built yet?

if so, show us an example of what it is going to look like.

if not, then you can probably just use phpbb for the whole thing.
you can choose a style for phpbb and create all the other pages you want to look just like phpbb.

or, there are a couple of extensions you can install like the pages extension and the portal extension etc.

spend some time looking around here, use the search etc.

there is a wealth of information about what you are trying to do .

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
tunesbyjames

Post by tunesbyjames »

JLA wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pmSimple integration just involves on adding a menu item unless you are needing something more detailed.
I wanted it to be where the Forum is embedded seamlessly within the same page. Because I have tried it where I add a menu item, but when clicking my forum, it goes to a completely separate web page.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 pm do you have your new website built yet?

I only have the forum part built, but not the actual website yet. But I wanted it to look something like this: http://www.teamfortress.tv/
Where the website is seamlessly integrated with the forum. I don't want it to where the forum goes to a different page, but more so is embedded into the website like teamfortress.tv's website.
Lumpy Burgertushie

not gonna work that way. you will need to create your website then edit the phpbb style with the header and footer of your website. that is how you will get what you are after. you can't "embed" the phpbb board into your website the way you are thinking.

if you can give me an example of what you want your website to look like I can show you how to do it.
If you want your website to look like that link then just install the portal extension on your phpbb board and that will be that.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Your example website is just using a Portal page. Its "forums" page is a different web page, but the columns on the side are the same, so it looks like the forum is embedded in the page. You can find extensions for portal pages or side columns.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

tunesbyjames wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 pm
JLA wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pmSimple integration just involves on adding a menu item unless you are needing something more detailed.
I wanted it to be where the Forum is embedded seamlessly within the same page. Because I have tried it where I add a menu item, but when clicking my forum, it goes to a completely separate web page.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 pm do you have your new website built yet?

I only have the forum part built, but not the actual website yet. But I wanted it to look something like this: http://www.teamfortress.tv/
Where the website is seamlessly integrated with the forum. I don't want it to where the forum goes to a different page, but more so is embedded into the website like teamfortress.tv's website.
What the OP is asking can be done. We have done it with various organizations wishing to implement the phpbb photo gallery functionality of our site but who do not want to host or manage their own phpbb board/infrastructure. It involves creating custom template pages for each page of the website which are a mixture of the html of his site and the php code of the phpbb content he wishes to display on that that page.
Lumpy Burgertushie

I believe that is a little more than what he is asking for. from what I see, he is planning on using phpbb as a whole but also have other website pages etc.
I guess we just have to wait until he comes back and gives us more detail until then , we are all just guessing.

;)

robert

tunesbyjames

Post by tunesbyjames »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:27 pm he is planning on using phpbb as a whole but also have other website pages etc.
Basically, I want the phpBB (Forum) part of the website to be a small part of it. For example, I will have 5 Menu Tabs on top of the website, named something like, 'Home' - 'Blog' - 'Videos' - 'Gallery' - 'Forum' - etc... But when I navigate to each of those menu items, I want it to be seamlessly integretated. I don't want it to where, if I click on 'Forum', it takes me to an entirely different page where my website is no longer at.

I'll give you my actual website: http://chatterbears.org/

At the top, you have 'Home' - 'Forum' - 'Stream'. When you click on 'Forum', it goes to a completely separate page where the phpBB forum is located, and there's really no way to get back to the original 'chatterbears' site. I want it fully integrated, like this one is: http://www.teamfortress.tv/

The main idea for my website will be for blogs, pictures, articles, videos, etc... And a forum would be part of those things, but I don't want the forum to be the main focal point.

I don't know if the best way is to get something like BridgeDD into Wordpress? I don't know anymore. This is all confusing me more lol. :(
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

As I already explained...Your example website does have completely different pages for its tabs.
Brf wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:28 pm Your example website is just using a Portal page. Its "forums" page is a different web page, but the columns on the side are the same, so it looks like the forum is embedded in the page. You can find extensions for portal pages or side columns.
tunesbyjames

Post by tunesbyjames »

Brf wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm As I already explained...Your example website does have completely different pages for its tabs.

Your example website is just using a Portal page. Its "forums" page is a different web page, but the columns on the side are the same, so it looks like the forum is embedded in the page. You can find extensions for portal pages or side columns.
Yes but, I want to do the least amount of custom work as possible. To get an integrated look, I assume I will have to do a lot of editing in the header/footer and other things, correct? As stated in the previous post, I want the home page to feature the last 'blog' entry I have created, along with some pictures or other things. This would be the 'Home' page. You're saying I could do this with portal or side columns? The last time they updated those was in 2015.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Well.. it all depends on what are you going to use (some other soft with phpbb or not) + as you are using pro phpbb style theme it will be little harder to help with styling.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
lukwagomediaworks

Post by lukwagomediaworks »

Well.
I am looking for exact same solution.
But my extended problem is that I have my own registration system.
I want my members to be logged in on my website and at the same time be logged in on the forum.

I know how to link the website to phpbb per sey.
I just want to find out how I can use my website login to be linked to the forum.

I could have used phpbb registration and login system but too late.

If I get this fixed then I will help you also.

My website is:
<link Removed>

Thank you
Last edited by thecoalman on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary link

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”