Custom profile field match username

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
mdmd09

Custom profile field match username

Post by mdmd09 »

Hello I am trying to get a custom profile field that is setup through the admin panel to match the username at registration just like how the password has confirm password at registration. Here is a picture of my registration page.
2018-09-10.png
I have changed the username to gamertag in the main language code. I have circled the two fields that I am trying to make match. I am not the greatest at php coding and have looked through several files of code and can not seem to find any answer. Thanks in advance.
AmigoJack

Re: Custom profile field match username

Post by AmigoJack »

I don't understand: if two different fields need to have the same content, then why are two instead of only one needed to begin with?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
mdmd09

Post by mdmd09 »

I run a xbox gaming community and we use it as a double verification for their xbox live gamer tags. I dont want to offend anyone but people dont always read the rules when they register. People will put a username of abcd when their xbox name is 1234 and we cant keep track of them then. Hope this helps with clarification.
david63

Post by david63 »

But what is there to stop them putting abcd in both fields?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Sounds more like you want to validate the username a bit more. Validating XBOX IDs is not entirely reliable - what should happen when Microsoft's website isn't available? Allow or disallow registration?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
mdmd09

Post by mdmd09 »

david63 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 am But what is there to stop them putting abcd in both fields?
Nothing really.
AmigoJack wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am Sounds more like you want to validate the username a bit more. Validating XBOX IDs is not entirely reliable - what should happen when Microsoft's website isn't available? Allow or disallow registration?
Correct. I really wasnt looking for a way to validate it against Microsoft's site. I just want to validate against the two and put an error up like your username doesn't match your xbox live gamertag.
david63

Post by david63 »

Why not change "Username" to "xbox live gamertag" (or something similar) in the language file? Would that perhaps make it easier?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
mdmd09

Post by mdmd09 »

david63 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 pm Why not change "Username" to "xbox live gamertag" (or something similar) in the language file? Would that perhaps make it easier?
I can change the language to that and hope it helps. Is there still a way to validate it as a backup?

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”