Get rid of "Show your posts"

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Muattles

Get rid of "Show your posts"

Post by Muattles » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 am

Hope this is the right forum for this question, apologies if it's not. If you go to the user profile > front page there is an option to 'Show your posts' to see all posts that you've ever made. I have reason to not want this option on my forum for any users. Would this be something that would require a mod to do, or is there some code somewhere that I can change to disable this option?

Toxyy

Re: Get rid of "Show your posts"

Post by Toxyy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:59 am

In /styles/yourstyle/template/ucp_main_front.html, search for L_SEARCH_YOUR_POSTS and you'll find the ahref that you want to remove.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:23 am

what are you trying to achieve? letting members see all their own posts can not possibly cause any harm to you or them or the other members.
it is actually a good thing to have sometimes.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:47 am

Muattles wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 am
If you go to the user profile > front page there is an option to 'Show your posts' to see all posts that you've ever made. I have reason to not want this option on my forum for any users.
There are more places where one can find all the posts made by a certain users.
1 = profile
2 = profile panel next to a post: the postcount is a link to all that member's post
3 = the search function
4 = there may be more which don't come to mind immediately.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:55 am

warmweer wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:47 am
4 = there may be more which don't come to mind immediately.
eg. a direct input example.com/search.php?search_id=egosearch in the address bar of your browser.
So, to get completly rid of it, you need to
  1. disable the search function using proper permissions
    or
  2. modify the core code to disable the egosearch and the search for post made by specific user
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:58 am

Yes I had forgotten about the egosearch parameter... hopefully OP just needs it for user profiles and can make a simple html edit.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity

Muattles

Post by Muattles » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Well shoot, sounds like this might be more complex than I thought, if there are that many options. Might try to get rid of that one and then investigate with a dummy normal user account. Thanks for pointing out all of the areas to look.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:23 am
what are you trying to achieve? letting members see all their own posts can not possibly cause any harm to you or them or the other members.
it is actually a good thing to have sometimes.

robert
I'm using the phpbb forums to run a role playing game that happens over the course of time. As time passes, and memories naturally fade, I move old threads to 'old' forums so that people cannot have their characters remember with the accuracy of text. Most people cannot see these old forums, but since I'm running the game I can, and a few people who have purchased the special ability to remember everything can as well. So I want to keep that purchasable ability worth doing because as it is the people who don't have it can just use this to get half the story, and aid their memory artificially.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 pm

that sounds perfectly logical. not being a gamer, I would have never thought of that.

you can maybe do this with group permissions.

and group forum permissions for that exact forum.

not sure but worth a try.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am

Muattles wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:48 pm
I move old threads to 'old' forums so that people cannot have their characters remember with the accuracy of text. Most people cannot see these old forums
I don't understand the problem: listing all of your posts respects forum reading permissions: if some of those are within forums where the author has no read access then the post is never listed in full either.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 pm

You could try removing searching in the Old forum using forum permissions.

Muattles

Post by Muattles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am
Muattles wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:48 pm
I move old threads to 'old' forums so that people cannot have their characters remember with the accuracy of text. Most people cannot see these old forums
I don't understand the problem: listing all of your posts respects forum reading permissions: if some of those are within forums where the author has no read access then the post is never listed in full either.
That's what I thought would be the case, but it didn't prove to be true. People could search for posts that they made that existed in forums they no longer had access to. Further, they could look at other people's posts in forums that they don't have access to. I think the problem is that I have threads and entire forums that I'm moving which people once had access to and posted to. Even though those forums are moved in such a way that people can't see them, the search function still works for them possibly because they had standard access when those posts were made.

So it seems my solution is to either turn off the search function for all users in a certain group using the 'never' permission or else go through the permissions of the twenty or so groups and switch everything to "no". Problem with the first solution, fast as it is, is that I want the people who remember everything to be able to use the search function. If I have players in a group that has the 'Never Search' applied is there a way to overrule that, through user permissions perhaps? Or is 'Never' the end all be all as I think it is?
Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 pm
A good idea, but again steps on my problem with wanting a certain few users to be able to search to their hearts content, because they bought the ability to do so.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Muattles wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm
I think the problem is that I have threads and entire forums that I'm moving which people once had access to and posted to.
I can assure you that forum permissions are not bugged - it more sounds like you expect forums to have cascading/inheriting permissions, but that's not the case: just because you move a forum to which all users have read access into a forum where only few users have read access doesn't automatically disallow read access to the moved forum - that's also the reason why posts are still readible and searchable. Check the permissions on one of the actual forums you moved.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:03 am

Muattles wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm
Brf wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 pm
A good idea, but again steps on my problem with wanting a certain few users to be able to search to their hearts content, because they bought the ability to do so.
So give those few users permissions to search that forum, while your normal users do not.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”