New posted string in custom table loses foreign character

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Nick225

New posted string in custom table loses foreign character

Post by Nick225 »

No problem with foreign characters in the converted phpbb3. Old messages, new messages, all is fine.

But I have a phpbb2 external page with a form that writes to a custom table.
I imported the table, and rewrote the custom page to fit the phpbb3 requirement.

Code: Select all

<?php
define('IN_PHPBB', true);
$phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';
$phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);
include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx)
All the data in the table looks great in the database and on the custom page when I run it. No problem displaying the existing accented characters.

Problem arises when I insert a new row via the form. The posted string loses all its foreign accented letters; for instance, "employés à" becomes "employ??s ??"

From phpadmin, I changed the database encoding from latin1_sweddish_ci to utf8-bin. That didn't help.

I have read dozens of topics about foreign characters here and tried all the suggestions. None work for my case: existing data is ok. New rows are not.
If I edit an existing row and POST, it gets messed up too.
Please help. Thanks.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: New posted string in custom table loses foreign character

Post by canonknipser »

Nick225 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm rewrote the custom page to fit the phpbb3 requirement.
Did you use the correct functions for storing and reading data from inside phpBB?
  • generate_text_for_display()
  • generate_text_for_storage()
  • generate_text_for_edit()
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
StevieWonderer

Post by StevieWonderer »

Nick225 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm No problem with foreign characters in the converted phpbb3. Old messages, new messages, all is fine.

But I have a phpbb2 external page with a form that writes to a custom table.
I imported the table, and rewrote the custom page to fit the phpbb3 requirement.

<?php
define('IN_PHPBB', true);
$phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';
$phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);
include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx)
All the data in the table looks great in the database and on the custom page when I run it. No problem displaying the existing accented characters.

Problem arises when I insert a new row via the form. The posted string loses all its foreign accented letters; for instance, "employés à" becomes "employ??s ??"

From phpadmin, I changed the database encoding from latin1_sweddish_ci to utf8-bin. That didn't help.

I have read dozens of topics about foreign characters here and tried all the suggestions. None work for my case: existing data is ok. New rows are not.
If I edit an existing row and POST, it gets messed up too.
Please help. Thanks.
utf_8bin is a collation method, not a charset encoding. First you need to make sure the column charset is really utf8.
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

canonknipser wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 am
Nick225 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm rewrote the custom page to fit the phpbb3 requirement.
Did you use the correct functions for storing and reading data from inside phpBB?
Thank everyone for the reply.. Reading on those functions... I didn't use them. Lots of info here.
I used the
$db->sql_build_array('INSERT', array(
but didn't call generate_text_for_storage beforehand.

My table doesn't need bbcode. But it looks like I still need to add the columns for uid and bitfield, etc...
Last edited by Nick225 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieWonderer

Post by StevieWonderer »

Nick225 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm
canonknipser wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 am
Thank everyone for the reply.. Reading on those functions... I didn't use them. Lots of info here.
I used the
$db->sql_build_array('INSERT', array(
but didn't call generate_text_for_storage before hand.

My table doesn't need bbcode. But it looks like I still need to add the columns for uid and bitfield, etc...
Even though you have to pass 4 variables by reference to generate_text_for_storage(), only the first one is important, which has the post text in XML format after the function call. Other 3 are not used anymore as far as I know.
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

Thanks. I mentioned that because it's in every example the tutorial gives; As is they were mandatory fields.
$sql = 'SELECT text, bbcode_uid, bbcode_bitfield, bbcode_options
FROM ' . YOUR_TABLE . '
WHERE some_id = ' . (int) $example_id;
-----------------------------

$sql = 'INSERT INTO ' . YOUR_TABLE . ' ' . $db->sql_build_array('INSERT', array(
'text' => $some_text,
'uid' => $new_uid,
'bitfield' => $new_bitfield);
---------------------------

generate_text_for_storage($some_text, $new_uid, $new_bitfield, $bbcode_options, true, true, true);
I guess we can just set those arguments to null or 0 when calling this function, if we don't have those columns.
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

Thank you all. Problem resolved with:

$post_vars_array = $request->variable_names(\phpbb\request\request_interface::POST);
	$fl_text_raw = utf8_normalize_nfc(request_var('scrollingFlash', '', true));

if(strlen($fl_text_raw)){
		$uid = $bitfield = $options = '';
		$allow_bbcode = $allow_urls = $allow_smilies = false;
		generate_text_for_storage($fl_text_raw, $uid, $bitfield, $options, $allow_bbcode, $allow_urls, $allow_smilies);
Hope that helps a newbie like me..
phpbb3 rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now the only strings with accented characters issues are the table headers .. I applied the utf_normalize_ncf function to them but nope.. :( ... Have to research that function.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”