May I Please Have My Paragraph Spaces Back? :D

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Tithenon
Name: Paul Emerson

Re: May I Please Have My Paragraph Spaces Back? :D

Post by Tithenon »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:34 pmIt is not phpBB removing spaces. It is the way browsers work. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/177 ... y-html-tag
Sorry it took me so long to answer... yesterday, right after my last post, I had to run out of the house for a bunch of errands, and didn't really return until late last night.

That article doesn't account for line spaces, though, between paragraphs and/or bullets.
EA117 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 pmFair enough. My intention was just to point out that replacing one fixed size (no space) with another fixed size (margin-bottom) will satisfy "whomever was able to decide what that fixed size will be", and/or the one specific use case.
I have the margin-bottom set up as built, earlier, and it doesn't work. I still have to go with a Character Space or a Line Break, both BBCodes I now have in place. However, I never had the line space issue until I upgraded from 3.1.11 to 3.2.5 just a few days ago. I was allowed to have spaces between my lines in 3.1.10, but all of a sudden they're gone in 3.1.11? This does not seem like a web browser display issue to me, but definitely something has been changed within phpBB for 3.2.
Regardless of which phpBB board you're posting on, and without the author needing to have permission to create new bbcodes or access to change the style.
This is true, but I've already added the Character Space and Line Break BBCodes, anyway.
It's just not obvious or necessarily elegant when looking at the source bbcode, and in theory could become broken or visually unappealing if someone's phpBB style got real fancy in the <ul> or <ol> styling. So it would be "better" if the concept of "space within a list" was more formally recognized in a way that avoids even this minor potential for brittleness.
Holy smokes... I haven't even looked at Ordered Lists, yet.
Did you translate the suggestion of "modify how the margin-bottom property is set for <li> elements at line 381 of content.css" (which would be correct for proSilver, and possibly a proSilver-inherited style) to "modify the margin-bottom for how <li> elements are being styled by the phpBB style in use on your site"?
Yes. I modified the pro-Silver and couldn't find a content.css file in Latte, and am loathe to modify the _scss.css file, there.
You may have already removed the attempt, but it appears the right place to modify this (at least for the style being applied for guests to the site) would be in the ".content li" path of http://www.wolvesau.net/wh/fantasy/styles/latte/theme/stylesheet.css. Try it there, if that's not already where you tried it.
Nope, I'll have to try that, then... I'm a knucklehead... it's been a couple years since I messed with this stuff, last. Let me give it a shot.

I'm afraid that still didn't do it. I put in the margin-bottom:5px; and purged the cache, closed the old browser window and opened a new one, opened another topic I've not touched with the Character Space and/or Line Break formatting, yet, and it's still scrunched together. Interesting conundrum, no? :)
Last edited by Tithenon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Tithenon wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm I have the margin-bottom set up as built, earlier, and it doesn't work.
Note that CSS files are cached by the browser and changes will not occur until the edited files are reloaded. Alternatively hold ctrl and press f-5. You can check what css rules are being applied to an element by right clicking it and selecting "inpsect element" or something similar depending on the browser. This opens the developer console, whatever HTML that is highlighted on the left side will be highlighted on the page and have it's CSS rules listed on the right side. It will even tell you what file and what line.

I just loaded your page, see the yellow space? That's the 5px margin.
Attachments
2019-01-10 (1).png
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Tithenon

Post by Tithenon »

Okay, so what you're saying is... the change actually is working, but I may need to increase the pix size to get the distance I want? Thank you, thecoalman... I'm grateful you showed this to me.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

You can make it whatever you want, this is short hand version for top, right, bottom and left margins in that order. This gives you margin of 10px top and bottom.

Code: Select all

margin: 10px 0 10px 0;
Note the 0 margin gets no "px"

You could also use em and it's preferable in most cases, 1 em would give you margin relative to the height of one line.

Code: Select all

margin: 1em 0 1em 0;
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Tithenon

Post by Tithenon »

Rock on. Thank you all so much for helping me out with this problem... I think I've got it squared away, now, and all is working well, again. :D

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”