PHPBB and PHP Free Chat

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Scottish2

PHPBB and PHP Free Chat

Post by Scottish2 »

Hi All

First off not even sure where to put this being these two are separate but it seems combinable.

OK So as some of you know I have been trying to find a chat solution for my website that will I hope work with PHPBB and allow me to customize the chat page easily to blend with the needs of my website.

I think I have found that but am having some issues getting it to work and hoping someone here might be able to sort the issue out for me.

From what I am seeing PHP Free Chat can be edited to allow it to access the member list and mod system of PHPBB that way users can sign up in the forum and then in free chat they would have access to their user name and such without the need to sign up separately like my current chat room is.

First this is the tutorial I am using found here in the forums but from quite some time back over 10 years.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=2126016

He was using version 1.3 of the chat and latest stable version is 1.7 but I did noticed that the help area of the chat website has pretty much identical instructions so assuming they updated the help area as they went they should be pretty much identical. (I tried theirs also same results)

So I went and first installed the chat here is the link and you see it works fine. Not customized at all is a bare bones install on that yet except to change one setting as don't want all users to be admin so I changed that one setting from true to false to keep only me as the admin for the time being.

https://dirtydozen2-0.com/phpfreechat-1.7/

I then downloaded a copy of the free chats index.php file into a work folder and started the edits. Got them all done and from what I can assume I did it properly.

Problem I have though is when I upload the index.php file back to the website the page then loads a blank white screen no chat what so ever is displayed.

My chat is in a folder phpfreechat-1.7 and my phpbb is in phpbb

For the root directory assuming that both PHPBB and PHP Free Chat are installed into their own folders in the root directory then in the index.php coding I have tried both ../ and ../phpbb in the root directory coding line but neither seem to work.

So can anyone figure out why if I did this properly why the chatroom just displays a white page rather then the chatroom after the update? Is there maybe something I missed?
Wirral Talk

Re: PHPBB and PHP Free Chat

Post by Wirral Talk »

Shouldn't phpfreechat be located in a subfolder of phpbb ie http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/phpbb/phpfreechat-1.7 for that to work?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and, if it changed and started giving you the blank page after you started editing the index.php file that would most likely be you made a mistake in your edits. blank pages are normally a sign of a php error.

and, probably your best bet would be to ask the phpfree chat people how to use their software as it is not part of phpbb at all.

and finally, why not use the chat extention made for phpbb. it is fully customizeable and does exactly what you want.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Wirral Talk wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 am Shouldn't phpfreechat be located in a subfolder of phpbb ie http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/phpbb/phpfreechat-1.7 for that to work?
Not sure that was my next thing to test out just ran out of time before I left for lunch.

There is one line of code though that tells it where to look but then could also be the depth of the page being asked for as to how many levels up I would have to go also is another idea I am considering testing out

Code: Select all

$phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : '../';
Last edited by Scottish2 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 am and, if it changed and started giving you the blank page after you started editing the index.php file that would most likely be you made a mistake in your edits. blank pages are normally a sign of a php error.

and, probably your best bet would be to ask the phpfree chat people how to use their software as it is not part of phpbb at all.

and finally, why not use the chat extention made for phpbb. it is fully customizeable and does exactly what you want.

robert
Cause mchat is not all that friendly regarding letting you customize the layout of the over all page as I have been that route and had zero success at getting the code to update the page even with some help from here in the forums.

As for the codes being wrong they were copied and pasted from copies that both PHP Free Chat and a user here both verified that worked so isn't my coding but theirs so if it worked on theirs it should work for me also so reason I am wondering if I missed a step somewhere.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you have a look into your error logs for the php error?
Or put "show php errors on" in your cPanel (if possible)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:15 am Did you have a look into your error logs for the php error?
Or put "show php errors on" in your cPanel (if possible)
I had not but I just now did and nothing showing up in the logs for errors.
david63

Post by david63 »

Scottish2 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am I had not but I just now did and nothing showing up in the logs for errors.
Was that the phpBB logs or the server logs? You need to look in the server logs.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

david63 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:10 am
Scottish2 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am I had not but I just now did and nothing showing up in the logs for errors.
Was that the phpBB logs or the server logs? You need to look in the server logs.
The logs in my Control Panel for the website I assume that is what he was referring to.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not sure why you were having problems with customizing mchat. yes you have to do the edits manually and the purge the cache to see the changes but that should work.
anyway, back to phpfreechat. can you post the changes you made to the index.php file . I will go download phpfreechat and install it and see what luck I have.

robert

update: I have it uploaded but it will not work because some of the php code is outdated and will no longer work.

I will try to freechat v2 to see if that is better.
update: actually I am not going to try this. the installation is crazy and I am tired of messing with it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Well at least I know it's not me!

As for mchat didn't really need to edit the chat itself just the mchat page itself to control what is posted something like this screen shot (edited to show what I would like!)

was not having any luck editing the page to add in the two live feeds on the left side. People helped I was just not having any luck getting it sorted!

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”