Auto url shortener link creation? Or hide domain for outbound links?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
AYBG

Auto url shortener link creation? Or hide domain for outbound links?

Post by AYBG » Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 pm

This is a bit of a weird request.

There's a website my forum members use that has taken the bizarre step to discourage traffic by redirecting visitors coming from certain domains, including mine, to a fake "this site is under maintenance" page.

The workaround my users have found is to copy and paste the link into a new tab or window.

Ideally, the solution would be as simple as using a new window extension, but I tried that to no avail. The outbound site still receives the origin data.

Perhaps there's a way to hide that data?

So, I'm trying to find a creative solution. One is using a url shortener as an intermediary.

Easiest solution there would be if a shortener allows you to link to pages within a domain in the same way they're formatted originally.
For instance, if you created a shortened link for phpbb.com like sh.rt/3535sdfdg, whether you could link to, say, this board by inputting sh.rt/3535sdfdg/community/viewforum.php?f=641. That way I'd only need to create one shortened address and phpbb's swear filter could auto swap phpbb.com to sh.rt/3535sdfdg/

Another solution is if there were an extension you guys know of, that automatically creates bit.ly or whatever links, whenever a link is posted. I'd bite the bullet and accept that it would do that to all urls, as I can't imagine it could be easily configued to only shorten a certain domain. But anyway, if you know of any such extension, or viable method to get one of the above, do let me know!
UK users: visit my forum for free tickets to film previews near you, as well as film chat!

AYBG

Re: Auto url shortener link creation? Or hide domain for outbound links?

Post by AYBG » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Found a solution! It appears that there are several websites that can hide the referrer (google this last phrase if wanted) to anonymise links. Just their url, followed by a ? and then any url you want to throw at it.

Perffeeeccttt.
UK users: visit my forum for free tickets to film previews near you, as well as film chat!

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”