Any idea`s of Reducing image file size ?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
invenio

Re: Any idea`s of Reducing image file size ?

Post by invenio »

I don't think that will work because your new converted image directory will have fewer files than the original (due to non-image files erroring out).

What I would do is:

1) Make a full backup of the forum in case something goes wrong (both files and database).

2) Download the files folder onto your local PC.

3) Do the batch conversion with the converted files going into a new folder (ie not overwriting original files).

4) Remove the ".jpg" file extension of these new files.

5) Upload the converted files, overwriting the ones on the server. This should go pretty fast compared to the download as there are less files (as it won't have the non-image ones) and they will be of smaller size.
mrix2000

Re: Any idea`s of Reducing image file size ?

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello I was not aware of a possible erroring out issue with less files so thanks for the warning.
I have done pretty much everything you suggested already up to your stage 5 but yes overwriting the files in that way seems the better safer option.
Right so a full backup tonight followed by the optimised files upload tomorrow 8-)
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Tue May 18, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unneeded full quote removed

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”