from 2.0.23 to 3.0

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
drn

Re: from 2.0.23 to 3.0

Post by drn »

drn wrote:I have the birthday part, the calendar, and the flag mod installed, th small icons for them where in the styles/prosilver do I put them, and will they work, when I convert?
Birthdays will be converted. The calendar and flag MOD will not be converted. You will need to install these MODs on phpBB3 with MODs designed for phpBB3. phpBB2 MODs will not work.[/quote]

Oh I can't do that I got one from the mod teat to do that for me last time, as it was to complicated for me.

oh it want to know "Board path: This is the relative path on disk to your former board from the root of this phpBB3 installation. " the old forum is laying in the map "phpBB2" and that is laying in the root of my server, the new forum is laying in the map ""phpBB3"" also in the root... what do I have to write there to make it right?

my URL is www.d-r-n.com so the old forum is on "www.d-r-n.com/phpBB2/" and the new is "www.d-r-n.com/phpBB3/"
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

The relative path is ../phpBB2
Have you hugged someone today?
drn

Post by drn »

Thanks.. now it is saying

"All pre-conversion steps have successfully been completed. You may now begin the actual conversion process. Please note that you may have to manually do and adjust several things. After conversion, especially check the permissions assigned, rebuild your search index which is not converted and also make sure files got copied correctly, for example avatars and smilies."

So now I just remouve the install file?
And do I copy my old "Admin -> Maintenance -> Database -> Search Index" file into the new forum?
and then go on in the new forum, making the new settings correct?

Oh and can I delete the phpBB2 map / forum, and give the new one that name without rouining the new forum?
Last edited by drn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

drn wrote:Thanks.. now it is saying

"All pre-conversion steps have successfully been completed. You may now begin the actual conversion process. Please note that you may have to manually do and adjust several things. After conversion, especially check the permissions assigned, rebuild your search index which is not converted and also make sure files got copied correctly, for example avatars and smilies."
You need to complete to complete the conversion by pressing the "Continue" button.
drn wrote:So now I just remouve the install file?
You may remove the install directory after the conversion is complete, not before.
drn wrote:And do I copy my old "Admin -> Maintenance -> Database -> Search Index" file into the new forum?
and then go on in the new forum, making the new settings correct?
After you have completed the conversion, you have to go into the Administration Control Panel and go to Maintenance > Search Index and build the index.
drn

Post by drn »

Build the index?
What does that mean?

Oh all the posts from the old forum isn't there, can I get them with over?
And the member's also?

and can I delete the phpBB2 map / forum, and give the new one that name without rouining the new forum?

it says "To administer the board you must re-authenticate yourself" how do I do that?
It will not let me into the board with my username and password, it says "The e-mail/username information submitted could not be found." when I trie to get it to send me my login
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

Did you complete the conversion? You will get a message at the end that the conversion is complete and you may now access the board. There will also be a big red box with a warning message.

Go to install/index.php, click the Convert tab and you should have the option to "Continue previously started conversion."
drn

Post by drn »

oh boy I did remouve the install map...
I think I did complete it though

Then I clicked the complete button (now I'm not sure though)
But I can go to the forum, and registrate, but I can't acces my admin account..

http://d-r-n.com/phpBB3/index.php

Oh dear it is the forum as it looked in 2004, before I started it, it have converted...
and I can't get into the "User Control Panel " for the new user I made...
I did something really wrong right?
Man I knew it would go wrong for me... :o
Oh dear I could cry
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It doesn't look like the conversion worked.

You should be seeing a phpBB3 replica of the phpBB2 board with all the users and posts.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drn

Post by drn »

Thanks for the repply.. I don't the board I see is from 2004, and I can't log into the admin account, I can't go into the User Control Panel with the member I made, and I can't go into the new message part...

do I have to do it all over, to get it to work? and how do I do so? did I do the backup of the old forum wrong..
Oh dear, my head is spinning this is always happening to me when I try to update the forum I hate it
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The backup of the 2x board doesn't really matter, it's just that, a backup.

The 3x board converts the existing running 2x database that already exists. It only reads it, it doesn't actually physically convert it.

Sometimes the conversion just doesn't 'take' and you can try it again without worrying about damaging anything.

So, upload the install folder for phpBB3 and go to the convert tab and try it again.

When it's done, you should end up with a replica of the old board which uses your normal phpBB2 login information.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drn

Post by drn »

Ahh now something is happening, it didn't do this before, it is running trough 7 steps now

I got this message:
Search index was not converted
Your old search index was not converted. Searching will always yield an empty result. To create a new search index go to the Administration Control Panel, select Maintenance and then choose Search index from the submenu.

so what now? I delete the install map again, and try to get into the forum?
drn

Post by drn »

I just did try to delete the install map, and it looks the same, it still isn't working..

I think it is the installation there went wrong... I did have some problems there..
Can I install it over some how?

Well this might have to waith for tomorrow, it is to late for me
drn

Post by drn »

okay I deleted the new forum, put it up again...
installed the new forum, and this time it went all the way, then I wanted to convert the old forum, and it converted a even older once (one I had installed in 2004, that I took down again) it could not find the one there is in use now..

Then when I was done, I remouved the install file, and tried to log on into the forum, and even thoug I this time got a email saying my account are made, it will not log me in...

I'm really close on giving up :cry: ..
Please some one do this for me :? !
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If the conversion doesn't work then your other option is to do it offline

Knowledge Base - Offline Conversions
drn

Post by drn »

Well that is the odd part, it is converting a very old version of the forum, once I had installed in 2004, but that I never did use, then in I think 2005-or 6 I made the forum as it is now, but it can't find that one to convert...

but I'm PM'ing with Dicky now, so maybe he can get it to work for me..

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”