from 2.0.23 to 3.0

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
drn

from 2.0.23 to 3.0

Post by drn »

Hi I have a forum running, it is the version 2.0.23 it did take me lot of time, and lot's of help in here to get it running right,
I like it to be made into the version 3, now where the version 2 help forum is closed down, but I really don't know how to, last time I updated the forum, it took me days to get it running right again, and it actually isn't running right, the "Log me on automatically each visit " is not working...

I know it is a big thing, but is there any of you in here, there can help me do this, so that I can get it to work right, the first time?

I can't do mutch in returne, but I would be very very greatful, if I could get some one to do it / help me, I'm really bad at it
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: from 2.0.23 to 3.0

Post by KevC »

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drn

Post by drn »

oh boy..
You say, that I have to install the phpBB3 next to the one I use now.. so far so good, but then I don't think I understood half of it... :(

I'm really not good at it..
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Install phpBB3
Click convert
Type in some info that is actually all in your config.php file from phpBB2 and hit go.

That's pretty much it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drn

Post by drn »

Okay that was easier to understand for me.. I will try it out...

And if I can't get the phpBB3 to work, the old one is still working?

Thanks

(I might come back if I get problems)
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

drn wrote:Okay that was easier to understand for me.. I will try it out...

And if I can't get the phpBB3 to work, the old one is still working?
Yes, the phpbB2 board will continue to work.
drn wrote:Thanks

(I might come back if I get problems)
We'll be here.
Have you hugged someone today?
drn

Post by drn »

Thanks a lot...
I'm making a copy of my forum as it is now..
and when I'm done I will start installing the new forum...

I must say I'm a little nervouse, then last time I updated the forum, I made a some mistake in one of the files, and It to me days and lots of help from here, to get it working again :oops:

I hope it will go easier this time.. he he

(englisch isn't my daily language, I can find my way around pretty good in it, but here and there I missunderstand something)
drn

Post by drn »

I was making this part; "Create database tables" in the new forum, and then it could not load the page, what do I do now? do I just go on, and converte my old forum, or do I have to do something about the missing part??
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

You can't do the conversion until you get phpbB3 installed. Was there an error message on the page?
drn

Post by drn »

only that the page could not be found... nothing with the forum...
the normal page, when it can't find the right one..
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

Did you already install phpBB3? How did you install?
drn

Post by drn »

I mouved all the phpBB3 files on to my server, then I went to the "Installation Panel" page, and did what was told to, but when it was making the "Create database tables" part, it didn't load the last page, and now I don't know what to do, if I schould try to convert anyway, or what els to do please do help me!

(I didn't remouve the install file, but it looks as if it is working http://d-r-n.com/phpBB3/index.php)
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

I am going to assume that all the tables have been created and the data has been filled in.

Using your ftp program, delete all the files in the phpBB3 cache folder except for .htaccess and index.htm

Go to install/index.php and see if the install tab is gone. if it is, click the Convert tab and do the conversion.

If there are any problems, we will have to try a fresh install.
drn

Post by drn »

The install tab is gone, so I accume that I should go ahead and convert?

I have the birthday part, the calendar, and the flag mod installed, th small icons for them where in the styles/prosilver do I put them, and will they work, when I convert?
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

drn wrote:The install tab is gone, so I accume that I should go ahead and convert?
Yes, go ahead and do the conversion.
drn wrote:I have the birthday part, the calendar, and the flag mod installed, th small icons for them where in the styles/prosilver do I put them, and will they work, when I convert?
Birthdays will be converted. The calendar and flag MOD will not be converted. You will need to install these MODs on phpBB3 with MODs designed for phpBB3. phpBB2 MODs will not work.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”