beginner help upgrading from 2.0.17 to 3.0.4

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
BevH

beginner help upgrading from 2.0.17 to 3.0.4

Post by BevH » Mon May 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Hello

I am attempting to upgrade my forum from phpbb2.0 to phpbb 3.0.4 and as I am very new to php I am having trouble understanding the documentation and support here. I get I have to do an install of 3.0.4 and then convert, but as I have never installed a board (I took over an existing one from a non techie) I am lost at the beginning. I have a feeling I will be lost more along the way, but I want to take this step by step!!

Please can I ask you to explain in more detail what I need to do at the steps highlighted below?

I have disabled my board, backed up the files and database locally using FTP, and done step 1 in the php support documentation which say to decompress the 3.0.4 zipped files locally.

The next step 2 says "Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account."

QUESTION 1: Where would be the best place to upload these extracted files to on the server so it doesn't interfere with the current version?

Looking further ahead, when I have your help on that one and uploaded the files, the next steps say:

3 Change the permissions on config.php to be writable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)

4 Change the permissions on the following directories to be writable by all (777 or -rwxrwxrwx within your FTP Client):
store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.

Which I follow ok, but then it says:

5 Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB3 with the addition of install/index.php or pointing directly to install/, e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB3/install/ ... m/install/ etc.

6 Click the INSTALL tab, follow the steps and fill out all the requested information.

QUESTION 2: I don't understand where I will see an install tab? Will it be obvious when I get to that point?

I want to take these steps slowly so I really appreciate your help. I have read the guidance on the following pages but I don't understand what these points above.

I've read: http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INSTALL.html and http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... =3#install

Support Template
Your board's URL: http://www.ebluesband.com/comm_station
Version of phpBB3: trying to upgrade to 3.0.4
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? upgrade from phpBB 2.0.17 to phpbb 3.0.4
If update, what package(s) did you use?
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? no
MODs you have installed: none
When the problem started: today
Your level of expertise (be honest): only just not a beginner
Never regret anything that made you smile

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: beginner help upgrading from 2.0.17 to 3.0.4

Post by KevC » Mon May 25, 2009 1:17 pm

BevH wrote:QUESTION 1: Where would be the best place to upload these extracted files to on the server so it doesn't interfere with the current version?
Anywhere except where the current forum files are as some of the names are the same so they would potentially get overwritten.

A sensible place is just to upload the phpBB3 folder to the same basic location as the comm_station folder. Then you will have
yoursite.com/comm_station and yoursite.com/phpBB3
BevH wrote:QUESTION 2: I don't understand where I will see an install tab? Will it be obvious when I get to that point?
Yes it will be obvious

You will need to make a database for phpBB3 as well. This will be in the site control panel. Not all sites do this the same way so the best people to ask about that are your hosts. You will need a name, username and password for that database.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

elizdilo

Post by elizdilo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:35 pm

I am also having trouble converting from my 2.0 to 3.0. Everything for 3.0 is installed, but I can not figure out how to transfer the users and posts from my old forum into my new forum.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm

elizdilo wrote:I am also having trouble converting from my 2.0 to 3.0. Everything for 3.0 is installed, but I can not figure out how to transfer the users and posts from my old forum into my new forum.
Did you click the convert tab in phpBB3?
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

elizdilo

Post by elizdilo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:55 pm

No, I am not sure if I missed it or what. I am not sure how to find it now.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:00 pm

Put the 3x install folder on to the server if it's not still there.
Go to your site.com/the3xfolder/install

You should see the convert tab at the top of the page.

All the info it's after is in your phpBB2 config.php file except for the path to the former board.

If you're not sure what that is, post the links to both the 2x and 3x boards and we can tell you what it is.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”