Merge two phpbb3 forums

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Re: Merge two phpbb3 forums

Post by Jackanape » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm

This topic is a gem...I'm giving this a try tonight/tomorrow, after a few small test runs, and will be back with anything new I can report.

I'm going to be merging a forum with some considerable attachments, and am fiddling with trying to get them all reattached to the proper posts/topics, but may end up abandoning the idea altogether. Has anyone had any success with this?
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :

abertoll

Post by abertoll » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

I had no success. Frankly the phpBB database is just too complex and without foreign key enforcement in the database it's a super hard task for any forums of significant size.

Jackanape

Post by Jackanape » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback...I was just doing some theorizing...it seems if we add a column for old_post_id and old_topic_id, to the source tables, as we do for the user_id tables, we can update the attachments backup as we go along...it's a big nut, but I think it's worth it, especially with large forums...
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit

abertoll

Post by abertoll » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Well the problem is with id collisions right? What I was doing was trying to automatically increase one forum by X on IDs based on the last ID of the previous forum.

If you want I can send you the code I had when I was trying to do it. I forget, can I attach that here?

abertoll

Post by abertoll » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Here is the script I was working on to try to automatically do the migration. keymap.php is my way of trying to keep track of which items need to be updated across the database (my replacement for foreign keys).

It's been a while since I looked at it. It shouldn't touch the two original forums, but just in case make backups first.
Attachments
merge-script.zip
Unfinished merge script
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 pm

I have done it. I wanted to write a good tutorial that the extends bruder's instruction but never found time for doing so (including the merging of other stuff like drafts, bookmarks and fixing the problem with multi-recipient PMs).
I will retrieve and post the relevant stuff, including the script for migrating the attachments again, tomorrow evening if I am still alive. :P
Do you recognise my avatar? :)

Jackanape

Post by Jackanape » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Attachments work, and it's actually pretty easy, pretty much following the original instructions here:

Backed up phpbb_attachments with phpbb_attachments_2

Now, when it was time to update all the user_ids, I added this bit:
update phpbb_attachments_2 set poster_id = poster_id + [number of users to add];

After the duplicate users were found and the old_id was populated, and the user information in the tables is replaced:

update phpbb_attachments_2, phpbb_users_2
set phpbb_attachments_2.poster_id = phpbb_users_2.user_id where phpbb_attachments_2.poster_id = phpbb_users_2.user_id_old;

Then, it's on to the topics and posts:

update phpbb_attachments_2 set topic_id = topic_id + [number to add];
update phpbb_attachments_2 set post_msg_id = post_msg_id + [number to add];

Then we have to deal with the new Attachment Table:

SELECT MAX( attach_id ) FROM phpbb_attachments; --> remember 2392 (I had a big forum)

ALTER TABLE phpbb_attachments_2 CHANGE `attach_id` `attach_id` MEDIUMINT( 8 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL;
alter table phpbb_attachments_2 drop primary key;

update phpbb_attachments_2 set attach_id = attach_id + 2392;

For the final merge:

INSERT INTO phpbb_attachments (attach_id, post_msg_id, topic_id, in_message, poster_id, is_orphan, physical_filename, real_filename, download_count, attach_comment, extension, mimetype, filesize, filetime, thumbnail)
select attach_id, post_msg_id, topic_id, in_message, poster_id, is_orphan, physical_filename, real_filename, download_count, attach_comment, extension, mimetype, filesize, filetime, thumbnail from phpbb_attachments_2;

And attachments were successfully merged as well! (I also merged the medals table, and the custom profile fields tables, all in the same manner...this how to is one of the best ever put out on this topic.)

Now, I ran into a problem with my left and right ids in the forums tables, as they are no longer allowed to be the same. So, I ran an extra query for each one as in the instructions. The forums were still off, so I used the Support Toolkit:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/

And it fixed it up round.

I'm going out to celebrate with a beer. I hope this helped everyone! Cheers!

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 am

Congratulations. :)

I am posting some instructions anyway for the people coming and for you if you find them useful.

The following procedure begins with bruder's merging procedure, thus merges:
  • Forums, topics and posts
  • Users
  • Private messages
Additionally:
  • The problem with multiple-recipients PMs is fixed by a script (with the old procedure they would display the wrong recipient in the sender's outbox).
  • Attachments. It requires file renaming, a small renaming tool is provided for that. Thumbnails for attached images are also merged.
  • Polls
  • Drafts