Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
gs2088c

Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Post by gs2088c »

Hello All:

I'm happy to announce that the y2b3 (Yahoo 2 phpbb3) program is complete. The program can be accessed at:

[link deleted by gs2088c] on 08 MAR 2012

What Is Yahoo 2 PHPBB3 (Y2B3)? This is a program that will allow you to take a Yahoo Board and make it a Forum on your board.

Support (and downloading of the program) is only done at:

[link deleted by gs2088c] on 08 MAR 2012

EDITED 08 MAR 2012:

1. The links are no longer valid. Access the program through the main site http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/, and for now support is now supplied here. See new update as of 8 MAR 2012.
Last edited by gs2088c on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mainframe Computer Operations (8 years)
Mainframe Technical Support (5 years)
Tandem System Admin (8 years)
Tandem DBA (15 years)
What is the one real database? Tandem Non-Stop :mrgreen:
gs2088c

Re: Yahoo To PHPBB3 (Y2B3) Released

Post by gs2088c »

The original release of this program required that the person either needed to have MS Office 2003+ installed on their computer, or at least have access to MS Office (Access and Excel). The reason behind this, was because the user had to export the information, if using the PGOffline method from the MS Access database, to Excel, then in turn to a tab delimited file that the program could process.

After additional research and experimenting, Y2B3 now can access the MS Access databas, and thus eliminating the Access->Excel->Tab delimited file steps. This version of the program will be uploaded in the next few days on my site.

The reason for this dramatic change is that accessing of Microsoft Access databases, pragmatically was an area that I had no experience in. Once I figured out how to do it (there was basically no [free] documentation on how to do it), it took me less than 30 minutes to modify the program, including additional cosmetic changes.

Support and downloading of the program is only provided on my web site:

http://i-really-want-to-know.com/board2
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

I've released a updated version of Y2B3. Since the initial release on 24 Jan 10, to version 2010.3.0 (2010-03-07), it has had dramtic improvements. Here are just a few examples:

01. Eliminated the necessity of needing access to MS Office.
02. Eliminated the necessity of needing Mozilla Thunderbird.
03. Improved the HTML to plain text conversion.
04. Improved HTML to plain text conversion.
05. Allow partial file processing. This allows you to bring over your Yahoo group on a continuing basis.
06. Fixed issue where if the user uses another application while Y2B3 is updating the database, it will give the appearance that the program hung and/or the screen didn't update.
07. Allow reclaiming of wasted space (compact).
08. Allow to selectively install either the full Firebird Server, or the embedded Firebird server
09. Allows you to create multiple Y2B3 databases, so you can process multiple groups, and still maintain archive copies of the other groups.
10. Allow the user to "ZIP" up all existing databases for the program.
11. The setup program will not let you install it, unless you have at least Windows XP.
12. All available auxiliary files can be downloaded by clicking the link on the Program's Start Menu area.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
egp099

Post by egp099 »

Hello gs2088c,

I know this subject was last posted a year ago, but I'd like to follow up. Does this still work? Migrating Yahoo Group to phpBB?
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

Short answer, yes.

I haven't made any changes to the program. The only thing is that trying to use the program on other than English servers may not give you expected results. What I mean by this, is for instance, one person had a group on a Yahoo Brazilian server, and it didn't work well, because of the uniqueness of the language of the forum.

If you need any other support, please use my forum on my site.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
aknox

Post by aknox »

I would like to use this tool, but can't seem to access the relevant bit of the author's site (error 403). Does anyone have a mirror or copy of the program they can direct me to?
Many thanks
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

Have you hugged someone today?
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

aknox wrote:I would like to use this tool, but can't seem to access the relevant bit of the author's site (error 403). Does anyone have a mirror or copy of the program they can direct me to?
Many thanks
The reason you are probably getting a error 403 is one of the following:

1. Presuming you're not a spammer. The most likely reason you are blocked are:
1.1. You are located in one of the countries that have been blocked, because of excessive spamming attempts to spam the board.
1.2. You have an IP assignment that a spammer previously used.

2. Confirmed spammers are permanently blocked.

However, you can get to the program through:

http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/

Look under programs and scripts.

You may provide your country of origin here, and I will confirm if you are in one of the countries. Only the board is blocked by country, not the main site.

If you're in the USA, then it is an individual IP Block. For anyone that's getting the 403, you man most likely (98%+) blame the low-life, pond scum spammers.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

As a matter of record, the 403 error page gives the same basic explanation I gave above, plus the FAQs on the main site also talk about it. The 403 error page says:

You got this for one of 3 common reasons (for this site):

1. If you got this when attempting to access our forum, your IP most likely has been identified as a SPAMMER, and its been blocked.

2. If you where attempting to download download files and pressed "Parent Directory", and the higher folder isn't allowed to be browsed.

3. You were given a direct link to look at a file, and you attempted to browse the folder, by removing the filename, and browsing of that folder is prohibited.

Click the link below, then look at the FAQs under DOCS/EULA/FAQS.

Click here to go back to the main site.

This has been in place since around March or April 2011, with slight wording change in be beginning of Oct 2011 (9 Oct 2011, 0743 hours, server time, to be specific).
Tandem DBA (15 years)
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

gs2088c wrote:1. If you got this when attempting to access our forum, your IP most likely has been identified as a SPAMMER, and its been blocked.
I would be very surprised if I have been identified as a spammer.
gs2088c wrote:2. If you where attempting to download download files and pressed "Parent Directory", and the higher folder isn't allowed to be browsed.
I did not press "Parent Directory."
gs2088c wrote:3. You were given a direct link to look at a file, and you attempted to browse the folder, by removing the filename, and browsing of that folder is prohibited.
Aha, this must be it since the link provided by you does not contain a filename, http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/_d ... 3_program/
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

1. The initial link given on 24 Jan 2010, is and still is valid, it works.

2. As to our comment of "Aha, this must be it since the link provided by you does not contain a filename, http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/_d ... 3_program/", the following is a fact...it is a browsable folder. If you can't get to it, because this folder is browsable and not blocked to anyone, then there is a problem most likely because of your browser, computer or Internet provider.
2011-11-26_21-40-36-006.png
2011-11-26_21-40-36-006.png (22.36 KiB) Viewed 10795 times
3. Country/IP blocking started near the beginning of this year, as I indicated, because of spammers.

4. The blocking by IP/email is at the board level, not site level. So people can get to the program that way, all that has to be done is to click on the "Click here to go back to the main site", and get to the program from there.

5. If you are getting a 403 error when trying to browse folders, as I stated, not all folders can be browsed, but the one above can. The one mentioned above (quoting you), is a browseable folder, and it works fine.

6. If you are being blocked at the board level, and you are in fact in the USA as stated by your profile, then your IP and/or e-mail was used by a spammer and was blocked, that is why you can't get in.

7. The person that initially expressed concern about the 403 error was "aknox" on 25 Nov 2011, at 03:55.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

I was getting the 403 yesterday, but it is working fine today and I have the same IP address and email address, so thank you for fixing it.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

D¡cky wrote:I was getting the 403 yesterday, but it is working fine today and I have the same IP address and email address, so thank you for fixing it.
I'm glad your getting in, but I deserve no thanks, I did nothing. I checked with my hosting company, and they said nothing, that they are aware of, was wrong on the box my site it on. Good luck.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
aknox

Post by aknox »

I've been able to download the file, so thanks. I still have a lot of trouble accessing the i-really-want-to-know site and frequently get 403 (and I've tried a couple of different IPs/ISPs). I'm in the UK.
Perhaps your spammer-detection is a bit over-fierce?

Still, I have what I need and will now give the tool a spin. Many thanks.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

I'm going to be working on my PC today, so during this time I will consider your comments. HOWEVER, I make no promises beyond that.
Tandem DBA (15 years)

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”