Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
gs2088c

Re: Yahoo To PHPBB3 (Y2B3) Released

Post by gs2088c »

Just FYI, one of the reasons, in addition to the above, why the UK was added on the list, was that there was 11,282 attempted spamming attempts reported, from either UK IP addresses or UK e-mails in around 11 months, from multiple sources. Say that 4 sites reported 10 spamming attempts from ip 1.2.3.4 (make up), then that means there were a total of 40 attempts. I don't care if the same spammer attempted spamming 10, etc times on the same site... every attempt counts.

Additionally, as you probably know, that spammers can, and do harvest e-mails from things like google groups, trojans that access people's e-mail files (like M$ *.pst and Mozilla Thunderbird contact lists), and harvest e-mails from there. All of this is the responsibility of the computer user.

As said before, "blame the low-life, pond scum spammers". If it wasn't for these low-lifes, site owners like me won't have to do this. Using the term "low-life, pond scum spammers" is being polite, I have other selected words for them, but that would at least get the post pulled from this board, or possibly get get banned.

Yes, I know that some of these e-mails are faked or stolen as well as IPs by the "low-life, pond scum spammers". But since there is no absolute, positive way to insure what they are using is 100% accurate, then the only choice I have is to presume they are correct. Let's take a few other stats:

China = 20569
Russian Federation = 19223
Ukraine = 18197
Germany = 17443

The above is NOT just for my site, but other sites that thave reported the indicated number of spamming attempts.
Mainframe Computer Operations (8 years)
Mainframe Technical Support (5 years)
Tandem System Admin (8 years)
Tandem DBA (15 years)
What is the one real database? Tandem Non-Stop :mrgreen:
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:I'm going to be working on my PC today, so during this time I will consider your comments. HOWEVER, I make no promises beyond that.
I've considered this for about a week now, and for this program, I will, providing the site owners don't object, answer questions for the program here in this thread.

As I've said previously, only the board is blocked to certain IPs, e-mails and certain countries, the program is accessible to all through my main site to anyone.

Additionally, the same forum showing that the importing actually works is accessible to all, because that board is READ ONLY (no posting).
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

Please see the notice on my site (i-really-want-to-know.com), specifically about "Deprecated Items". Basically, the current Y2B3 will still be downloadable, and I will provide support here, for now. I'm considering upgrading it from Windows XP (which it was tested and written on), but the final decision hasn't been made. From all research I've done with newer OS's, and the conversion of one program already, there shouldn't be much of a problem , however, I will not know for sure, until, or when I start the rewrite process.

There shouldn't be an issue with blocked IPs (see earlier posts), because blocking of IPs via countries, etc are ONLY AT THE FORUM level.

Finally, the decision to rewrite Y2B3 will be made AFTER other programs have been converted to the newer OS.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

Marked deprecated today? The day I start using it? Talk about bad timing!

I'm running into a minor problem, and I'm hoping you (or somebody) can help me. I got it to work perfectly on a localhost forum with WAMP, but when I tried to make the leap, and import everything to my real forum, I ran into a snag.

For my forum, I changed the database prefix to something other then phpbb_, but I can't see any way of changing that in the y2b3 software, so when I import the sql files, it can't find the right tables. Is there any way for me to change this?
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

I'm still considering whether to migrate the program to Windows 7, but here is the solution to your issue.

1. Always backup your database (board) before making changes.
2. Always Backup the SQL statements made by the program, before making the change below. This is saved in:

c:\mydata\gls-data\y2b3\files\sql

3. Open the *.sql file(s) in a TEXT EDITOR (NOT A WORD PROCESSOR), like UltraEdit, Textpad, Notepad, etc.
4. Search for and replace ALL OCCURRENCES OF "phpbb_" with your prefix.
5. Update your board with the changed SQL statements.

If I migrate the program to Windows 7, I MAY make accommodations for someone changing the prefix.

GS2088C
Author of y2b3

Good Luck! :D :D
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

By the way...

IN THEORY, even if I do update this program to Windows 7, with the language I've written it in, it should still run on Windows XP, at least until 8 Apr 2013 (user's local time).

Effective 26 Jan 2012, all new programs, or updated programs (see my site for details) will on 7 April 2013, 2359:59 (11:59:59 pm [1 second before midnight]) cease to function, IF IT ISN'T RUNNING ON AT LEAST WINDOWS 7.

Sometime between 22 Oct 2012, 1300 hours EST (USA) and 31 Dec 2012, 2359:59 hours EST (USA), all deprecated programs, will be removed. However the date/time isn't set in stone.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

After thinking about permanent deprecation of this program (eliminating it), and speaking to my wife, who I've known since 1962 (first grade), I'VE DECIDED NOT TO PERMANENTLY DEPRECATE (ELIMINATE) THE PROGRAM.

This means, it is in line to be upgraded to Windows 7 compatibility. However, something must be noted. The program is in position 3 (for now) on the conversion list, but could be slid down more on the list. This is because at a QUICK, "10,000 foot" evaluation of the code shows it will be more detailed conversion than my other programs.

There are a few caveats to the conversion.

1. As of today, I've locked the "XP" version from any changes.
2. Once the conversion process starts for Y2B3, and I will announce it here.
3. Most likely (99.99999%), the "XP" version currently on-line (2010.6.0) will be the last one written for "XP".
4. Since I've decided to convert it, I see no reason to make changes to the XP version, although I currently have a Virtual PC ("XP") setup, with the older development environment installed.
5. The only reason I would use the Virtual PC ("XP") setup is if a problem is reported, and in MY OPINION, it is worth the effort. However, the program has been out for 1 year, 8 months (approximately), with no reported issues (except as noted next), so I don't see this happening.
6. Like the "XP" version, the "WIN7" version will not be written for languages other than English. I had a report once about a problem, from a person in Brazil. I think they speak Portuguese there, and it caused issues to the program.
7. Also, the database engine will be newer, and at least on my system, it runs faster than the older one.
8. I've decided to remove a few of the minor features that were added, just as a "nicety".
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

Thanks so much for responding!

I tried using Notepad, but trying to do a find/replace all on such large files caused the computer to choke. I used TextMate which worked much better.

I don't suppose there's any way to automatically merge topics that have the same titles, is there?
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:Thanks so much for responding!

I tried using Notepad, but trying to do a find/replace all on such large files caused the computer to choke. I used TextMate which worked much better.

I don't suppose there's any way to automatically merge topics that have the same titles, is there?
Personally, when using texteditors, I use UltraEdit 98%+ of the time, the other 2%, I use Textpad. Any text editor should normally work, but I'm glad that you told about your experience with notepad.

Years ago I purchased a program that was very good. You'd select a folder, tell it to search for "XYZ" and replace it with "ABC", and it would do it quickly with little resources. Since then, I've abandoned it, not because its a bad program, but it is on the list of countries I refuse to use software from. I'm still looking for a replacement, free if possible, but haven't found any I like. The program will also allow REGEX search/search replace.

As for "I don't suppose there's any way to automatically merge topics that have the same titles". Since the program uses an auxiliary program, so the wheel isn't reinvented, at this point I have to say no. Yahoo has a "reference number" that is stripped by the auxillary program, that cross references posts. I've seen where there may be more than one post, with the same subject line, but are in fact separate.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but when I start the conversion to WIN7, I will look at it again.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:By the way...

IN THEORY, even if I do update this program to Windows 7, with the language I've written it in, it should still run on Windows XP, at least until 8 Apr 2013 (user's local time).

Effective 26 Jan 2012, all new programs, or updated programs (see my site for details) will on 7 April 2013, 2359:59 (11:59:59 pm [1 second before midnight]) cease to function, IF IT ISN'T RUNNING ON AT LEAST WINDOWS 7.

Sometime between 22 Oct 2012, 1300 hours EST (USA) and 31 Dec 2012, 2359:59 hours EST (USA), all deprecated programs, will be removed. However the date/time isn't set in stone.
CORRECTION:

The paragraph starting with "Sometime between..." should be ignored, no date has been determined. I was thinking that, and posted it, when I was suppose to delete the paragrah.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

I just noticed that the last 4 characters from each of my posts are cut off. I checked the .sql files that Y2B3 creates and they're truncated there, too. I would check the .mdb file, but I have no idea how to open it.

Do you have any idea what might have caused this, or what I can do to fix it?

EDIT: I tried to start the process over from the beginning: In PG Offline, the last 4 characters are not truncated. When I open the .mdb file in Y2B3, the "POST BODY AS APPEARS IN "MDB" FILE" looks right, but under "POST BODY AS APPEARS IN "Y2B3" FILE" it is cut off.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:I just noticed that the last 4 characters from each of my posts are cut off. I checked the .sql files that Y2B3 creates and they're truncated there, too. I would check the .mdb file, but I have no idea how to open it.

EDIT: I tried to start the process over from the beginning: In PG Offline, the last 4 characters are not truncated. When I open the .mdb file in Y2B3, the "POST BODY AS APPEARS IN "MDB" FILE" looks right, but under "POST BODY AS APPEARS IN "Y2B3" FILE" it is cut off.
I just signed on, and I will look at it to see what is up. I'll let you know what I find out.

ADDED: I will look at it this evening or tomorrow.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:I will look at it this evening or tomorrow.
emdub:

1. I just looked at the conversion I did in 2010, and the random posts that I checked were in tact. Several of the posts were VERY, VERY LONG.

2. I opened the database (not the *.MDB) used by the program, and there is no limit on the body.

3. I also looked at the source code, and I don't can't see anywhere that it would account for the issue.

4. There are one thing I know for a fact (I know you are referring to the body of the post) is that, the subject line is limited, and there will be some characters cut off. That is because of phpBB, not Y2B3, and the version I used at the time (3.0.6, if I recall correctly off the top of my head). I don't know about later versions.

However, I plan STARTING THE UPDATE PROCESS FOR Y2B3 to be WIN7 compatiablity by 1 Mar 2012, 1300 hours EST (USA). But I will look at this issue more over the next few days, to see if I can see what is up. However, the updated WIN7 version should be able to be used on WINXP, until 2359:59 hours, 7 Apr 2013.

Would you be willing to provide me a copy of the *.MDB you are using? If so, ***PLEASE***:

1. Make a COPY of it.

2. Open up the COPY
2.1. Open tblGroups, and remove the userid/password
2.2. Open tblSystem, and remove the userid/password
2.3. The two above actions is to protect you and your group login to Yahoo.

3. I haven't looked or tried, but if the file is small enough, and this board allows it, upload it to a reply on this thread.

4. If #3 isn't possible, use something like Google Docs, M$ Skydrive, or something similar and upload the COPY of the *.MDB, then provide me the link to download it.

However, in any case, I will be downloading a sample of my Yahoo board (say maybe 500-1000 posts), and try to recreate your issue in a virtual XP environment, using the program that is still on my site. My board hasn't, and I don't plan on deactivating it.

Is your Yahoo board on a non-english site? This is because sometimes that could affect it. In the pase two years, I worked with a person in Brazil, and their language (Portugese, I think) affected the program.

Waiting to hear from you.

Finally, PLEASE keep in mind, that the above checking was just a quick, cursory check, I still have more to do.
=====
For those not familiar with the "24 hour" clock, simply for any times from 1300 and up, simply subtract 12 from the first two numbers, and add "PM" to it, an you have civilian time.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:...I plan STARTING THE UPDATE PROCESS FOR Y2B3 to be WIN7 compatiablity by 1 Mar 2012, 1300 hours EST (USA).
I've decided to actually start the conversion this evening or tomorrow. Although I can't give a solid date on when the new version will be available (the documentation will take the longest), and I'm working on other projects also; I hope that most of the basic code will require minimal changes, but I won't know until I get into it.

If all goes well, the new version will be ready by 15 March 2012, but that is not a solid date.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:I just noticed that the last 4 characters from each of my posts are cut off. I checked the .sql files that Y2B3 creates and they're truncated there, too. I would check the .mdb file, but I have no idea how to open it.

EMDUB:

I was just able to reproduce the problem you described. The problem is in an auxiliary program that is used, that I didn't write, nor did the problem show up in the initial testing or use by myself. I'm working on this issue before I continue on with the conversion, because it is one of the important steps, concerting HTML to text. Thanks for letting me know!
Tandem DBA (15 years)

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”