Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
gs2088c

Re: Yahoo To PHPBB3 (Y2B3) Released

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:I was just able to reproduce the problem you described. The problem is in an auxiliary program that is used, that I didn't write, nor did the problem show up in the initial testing or use by myself. I'm working on this issue before I continue on with the conversion, because it is one of the important steps, concerting HTML to text. Thanks for letting me know!
What operating system are you using? Like I indicated, I was able to reproduce the result, but I looked again at my phpBB board I converted before, and all was fine. I'm trying to see what may be doing this. Thanks for the info in advanced.
Mainframe Computer Operations (8 years)
Mainframe Technical Support (5 years)
Tandem System Admin (8 years)
Tandem DBA (15 years)
What is the one real database? Tandem Non-Stop :mrgreen:
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:The problem is in an auxiliary program that is used, that I didn't write, nor did the problem show up in the initial testing or use by myself.
I'm happy to let you know that the issue has been resolved. I eliminated the use of the auxiliary, and wrote my own routine. However, the new routine still needs some refinements. This update will only be incorporated into the Windows 7 version, however it should run on Windows XP, when I'm done.

ADDED: Everything is still on track for the release. It may be before 15 Mar 2012, but as said above, that isn't a solid date. The Windows 7 version of the program will only be tested for phpbb 3.0.10, however, without looking, yet, I suspect that 3.0.6 through 3.0.10 will be OK to use.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

Thanks for taking a the time to look in to this! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner (I was gone all weekend).

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3.

I did notice that on your sample board, everything looked fine, so I was very confused as to why I was having this issue.

Do you still need the .MDB file? It is in the 60MB range (10k posts), so I doubt I could attach it, but if it would be helpful to you, I'd be more than happy to get you a copy.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:Thanks for taking a the time to look in to this! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner (I was gone all weekend).

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3.

I did notice that on your sample board, everything looked fine, so I was very confused as to why I was having this issue.

Do you still need the .MDB file? It is in the 60MB range (10k posts), so I doubt I could attach it, but if it would be helpful to you, I'd be more than happy to get you a copy.
Thanks for the reply. You getting the same under Windows XP Pro, SP3 is really strange, because the original program was developed on the same OS. The OS was "fully patched" system (all updates), and I didn't get it either. As for the getting a copy of your MDB, it would be good to get, it would give me a couple of large samplings to use for verification on the current conversion.

On my MDB, when I zipped it, I it went from about 150MB down to about 21MB. If you have a "skydrive", google docs account, or something similiar would be the best to use.

I suggest that you establish a "temporary" account with hotmail, google, etc that allows for cloud storage. In this way you can keep your e-mail private.
============
For your info, and all others, the reason that I was stripping out the HTML, was safety reasons, because "bad" HTML could be added to a post (see below) and cause problems. I'm CONSIDERING, BUT NOT PROMISING, that I might allow the use of HTML or plain text posts on this new revision, I have to think about it. My first priority is the use of plain text, then the HTML will come later, if I decide to allow it.

The "Mod" I previously "played with" was (link valid, 27 Feb 2012, 2150 hours, ET (USA):

[Link removed]

I've downloaded it, so just in case I allow it, I can test it.

Also, in the future all programs needed (e.g. pgoffline) will need to be downloaded from the author's site(s). Then the program is packaged and uploaded, I will provide the links to the author's website. But as always, no one endorses this program.
Last edited by D¡cky on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed because phpBB does not condone the use of HTML
Tandem DBA (15 years)
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

gs2088c wrote:For your info, and all others, the reason that I was stripping out the HTML, was safety reasons, because "bad" HTML could be added to a post (see below) and cause problems. I'm CONSIDERING, BUT NOT PROMISING, that I might allow the use of HTML or plain text posts on this new revision, I have to think about it. My first priority is the use of plain text, then the HTML will come later, if I decide to allow it.
phpbb.com's stance is that HTML should not be allowed. In the conversion process, you can insert HTML into the post and it will work fine without allowing HTML, but if the post is ever edited, it will become a mess so old posts should not be edited.
Have you hugged someone today?
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

D¡cky wrote:
gs2088c wrote:For your info, and all others, the reason that I was stripping out the HTML, was safety reasons, because "bad" HTML could be added to a post (see below) and cause problems. I'm CONSIDERING, BUT NOT PROMISING, that I might allow the use of HTML or plain text posts on this new revision, I have to think about it. My first priority is the use of plain text, then the HTML will come later, if I decide to allow it.
phpbb.com's stance is that HTML should not be allowed. In the conversion process, you can insert HTML into the post and it will work fine without allowing HTML, but if the post is ever edited, it will become a mess so old posts should not be edited.
That is perfectly fine that it is phpBB's opinion that it shouldn't be allowed... but it is up to the individual board owner. I tried the enable HTML on 3.0.10 on localhost last night, and I couldn't get it to work... of course it was later, and I was GETTING tired.

I object to Dicky's editing of my post, specifically, in his words, "Last edited by D¡cky on 28 Feb 2012 02:10, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Link removed because phpBB does not condone the use of HTML"
2012-02-28_10-34-55-343.png
2012-02-28_10-34-55-343.png (7.58 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
No where in the license agreement does it state that enabling HTML is forbidden. I have a copy of it, that I just saved from:

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/license/

Saying that phpBB doesn't condone/agree with enabling HTML is fine, but as stated, it is up to the individual board owner. I don't have it enabled (I have 2 phpBB boards), and probably never will.

At this moment, I'm more concerned about insuring that y3b3w7 (formally y2b3) is functional as the y2b3 (Windows XP version) was, with the non-HTML.

Keep in mind, that no more changes will be done to y2b3 (Windows XP version), but only y2b3w7, which will run on Windows XP also, until 7 Apr 2013, 2359:59 hours (user's time zone). After that, it will only run on Windows 7+.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

I zipped my .MDB file and it compressed to about 5mb. Much smaller, but still too big to be an attachment.

I put it in google docs, but I hope it's okay if I send it to you via PM instead of posting it here.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:I zipped my .MDB file and it compressed to about 5mb. Much smaller, but still too big to be an attachment.

I put it in google docs, but I hope it's okay if I send it to you via PM instead of posting it here.
Got it... thanks.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

Hi all:

For anyone waiting for the new version to be released (it will now be called Y2B3W7), all indications are that it will be released earlier than expected. The problem reported by Emdub has been resolved, and from all testing so far, all looks well. There are a few minor changes, at least I consider them minor, that I want to make and test before I release it. It works just fine on Windows 7, and I will need to also test it on Windows XP. At least two changes I'm making before it is released is:

1. The "self-kill" switch that is described in my "14 Feb 2012 22:03" post, second paragraph.

2. It will not run on any OS before Windows XP, SP 3. SP3 has been out since 21 Apr 2008 (almost 4 years), and Windows XP, SP (1/1a) and 2 haven't been supported since 10 Oct 2006 and 13 Jul 2010, respectively.

Finally, a few other important notes:

1. I will no longer provide the auxiliary programs on my site (although I will have a local copy), like PGOFFLINE, etc. However, links to the auxiliary programs will be provided.

2. Sometime before the release of Y2B3W7, I plan on restructing my site, which means, that if you've bookmarked the download area for Y2B3, there will be a chance that the link will be invalid. BUT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET TO THE PROGRAM VIA LINKS FROM THE MAIN SITE.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

gs2088c wrote:It works just fine on Windows 7, and I will need to also test it on Windows XP.
2012-03-02_22-17-59-984.png
2012-03-02_22-17-59-984.png (82.76 KiB) Viewed 6161 times
Preliminary tests on WINXP for the new Y2B3W7 yielded acceptable results. However, additional tests must be conducted. The next planned post will be when Y2B3W7 is released.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
emdub

Post by emdub »

Wow! This is progressing really quickly. Thanks for doing this.
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

emdub wrote:Wow! This is progressing really quickly. Thanks for doing this.
Although all is looking well for it to be released by this weekend, I had to put it to the side for a few days, ya know... the family! Most of the work now, but not all, is documentation.
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Post by gs2088c »

PRECLUDING ANY TROUBLES, here is the release time line for Y2B3W7.

07 Mar 2012 [Afternoon, ET (USA)]
================================
Restructuring of the main website, this may cause some links to become invalid, if you've bookmarked any.

08 Mar 2012
===========
Final testing of the program. Correct any changes needed. From all indications, today, any changes are only cosmetic.

08 Mar 2012
===========
1. Final review and updating of the program documentation.
2. Final review and Updating of the EULA.

09 Mar 2012
===========
Uploading of the new program documentation and EULA for pre-review.

10 Mar 2012
===========
Planned release of the program NLT 2359:59 ET (USA). Release designation will be "2012.3.0"

SUMMARY OF **MAJOR** CHANGES (VERY BRIEF)
=========================================
1. WINXP (minimum SP3) compatible until 2359:59, 7 Apr 2013.

2. Although the program should run on WINXP, SP3 (all testing so far has worked just fine), if there are any "issues", only WIN7 issues will be addressed. In other words, if the issue is WINXP ONLY related, but works fine on WIN7, no changes will be made. Reported problems, even if WINXP related will be reviewed in order to make the determination.

3. Although on the surface (visual interface), it may not look like much has changed, significant changes "under the hood" changes have been done.

4. Effective with this release (the new Y2B3W7), a "support string" must be generated by the program, and provided with the support request, each time an NEW, INITIAL REQUEST IS MADE... NO "SUPPORT STRING", NO SUPPORT. The string has certain information included (see help file, when released).
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Re: Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Post by gs2088c »

I'm happy to announce that as of about 0940 hours ET (USA), 8 Mar 2012 the new Y2B3W7 has now been uploaded, and is accessible through the main site at:

http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/

There has been significant changes "under the hood", whereas the the interface (gui) has minor changes. Some of the changes/things to be noted are:

1. The "self-kill" switch that is described in my "14 Feb 2012 22:03" post, second paragraph. Although I don't see it happening, I reserve the option to accelerate the "self-kill" option at any time, with the only notice in the help file.

2. It will not run on any OS before Windows XP, SP 3. SP3 has been out since 21 Apr 2008 (almost 4 years), and Windows XP, SP (1/1a) and 2 haven't been supported since 10 Oct 2006 and 13 Jul 2010, respectively.

3. I will no longer provide the auxiliary programs on my site (although I will have a local copy), like PGOFFLINE, etc. However, links to the auxiliary programs will be provided within the help file.

4. In order to get support, an "encrypted support file" must be provided. The help file describes what the contents of the file are, and the reason(s) for it.

5. The install program will no longer create the YGROUPs ODBC connection for you. In order to create the connection, you must download another small program that you run to create it. In Y2B3 (predecessor to Y2B3W7), the install program would create it, and only if something happened to the ODBC connection, you then had to download the "fix" program. Now, you must download both programs.

6. The initial thought of allowing the program to accomdate for changes in the prefix of "phpbb_" has been abandoned. If a user decides to change the prefix, then they will need to open the created SQL files, and search/replace the "phpbb_" to their new prefix.

7. The GZIP program is no longer installed with Y2B3W7, which is used to compress the SQL files to improve uploading of the files. See help file for more information.

8. The HTML cleanup routine that I had to create is still in a POSSIBLE state of flux, depending on any feedback received.

9. The use of HTML in posts is still being considered, despite Dicky's "Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 am" comment. As I stated in the response to his editing of my post, removing the link to the mod, it is up to the board owner whether to use the mod or not. The license for phpBB doesn't prohibit it. If, and only if I do allow HTML to be used (as an option), I will provide the link in the help file.

10. Finally, as indicated in the EULA, only the on-line help files are considered "official". If the help files are updated online, all you have to do is to download the new help file, and replace the one in the Program Files folder, with the one downloaded. However again, only the on-line help file is "official".
Tandem DBA (15 years)
gs2088c

Re: Yahoo To PHPBB3 (New Name=Y2B3W7) Released

Post by gs2088c »

Updated version (2012.3.1) uploaded. Please remember: per the EULA, para 6.4.1: "Users must maintain the most current version of the program before support is provided."
Tandem DBA (15 years)

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”