How much will I....

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How much will I....

Post by Brf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:21 pm

That is not our software.
We can guess just as well as you can whether it works or not.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I doubt that opendbcopy will help you to create a convertor. That software appears to just copy data from one database or column to another database or column possibly changing the database type or column type. A convertor for converting from one bulletin software to another bulletin software needs to do more than that. A convertor needs to reformat some of the data. Bulletin board softwares generally store the data, particularly message posts, in different formats. This is because of the differences in the way the boards handle markups (bbcode tags, etc).

To create a convertor, the best way is to use the Unified Convertor Framework which comes with phpBB3 as the phpBB2 to phpBB3 convertor. Basically, the phpBB2 to phpBB3 convertor is modified to suit the software you are converting from by specifying where to get the data from and reformatting it as necessary to fit the phpBB3 requirements.
Have you hugged someone today?

johnmblack
Name: John Black

Post by johnmblack » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:08 pm

OK as much as this has been fun to watch, I have to agree that this is something that could be very useful. When we were shopping for forums last year, SimplePress for WordPress was highly recommended on many sites, so we went with it. Chances are others did as well. I would also find this very useful, as we're stuck in SPF and are on the verge of asking all our users to manually reregister on our new PHPBB board.

-John

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”