Converting from Ikonboard 3.1.5 (out with the old)

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Converting from Ikonboard 3.1.5 (out with the old)

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi, and thanks for a great forum software; I've been using it one one of my domains and it does everything I need. Now I have an interesting problem. I have a 5 year old install of Ikonboard on a very busy fly fishing board. We have 3,500 members and a huge number of posts; http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theb ... nboard.cgi

Some of my other scripts now require updating to MySQL5 and I have no idea if Ikonboard supports this update, and it appears that they have hit the wall now anyway. So the time has come to convert to new forum software.

From what I have seen, I need to export the database to TAR. Run a conversion script on a PC (I'm on a Mac!, but I can borrow one), install phpBB2, and then upgrade to phpBB3. The threads I've read on the subject are reasonably old, and I apologise for covering the same topic again!!

Does this process still apply? I also read that there is a password issue? This could be a problem for us since some of our users will undoubtedly by using different email addresses now.

Many thanks for any help/insight you can give, and I apologise for rehashing an old topic!!

Cheers, Paul
it's all about to happen..

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Converting from Ikonboard 3.1.5 (out with the old)

Post by D¡cky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Check this topic, Ikonboard 3 to phpBB3. It has a fix for the passwords and may answer some of your other questions
Have you hugged someone today?

Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:32 pm

OK thanks Dicky, I'll give it a shot this week. Can you tell me if I export from Ikonboard and import to phpBB3 (via 2!), will the forums, topics and posts have the same count/s?

ie would f=24;t=13811;st=20 on ikonboard be the equivalent to f=24&t=13811&start=20 on the new install?

I'll have to set up a URL redirect to the new forum and original topic string. Is it easy/possible to change the way phpBB3 URLs its topic? Or I can probably handle this on the redirect? Assuming of course that the topic count etc is the same.

Cheers, Paul
it's all about to happen..

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 am

I have no idea how the Ikonboard to phpBB2 convertor works. I do know that the phpBB2 to phpBB3 convertor does not change forum/topic/post id's.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”