Converting from IPB 2.3.X TO PHPBB3

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Lutten
Name: iRockstar Stark

Converting from IPB 2.3.X TO PHPBB3

Post by Lutten »

Hi. I'm willing to transfer my DB from a free IPB 2.3.X host to phpBB3. All I have is a Sql file. Can anyone help me with converting with sql file to phpBB3?
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Converting from IPB 2.3.X TO PHPBB3

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

You need to use the IPB 2.3.x converter which can be found here.

To start with, have a full read of the Converter FAQ which will give you some information on what you need to do to start the conversion process. If you don't understand bits of it or need some more assistance then post back.
Lutten

Post by Lutten »

My problem is that I've a free host of IPB 2.3.6 AND I can't upload the PHPBB Files. I only have a sql file of my IPB Backup.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Do you have some web hosting for your new phpBB3 installation? If you do you need to upload the .sql file into a database on your web host to be able to complete the conversion. You can also do this on your own computer if you want, see http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/offline-conversions/
Lutten

Post by Lutten »

So, I need to upload my sql file into store folder and run the conversion? That's it?
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Lutten wrote:So, I need to upload my sql file into store folder and run the conversion? That's it?
No, you need to make sure that the IPB database (that is currently in the SQL file) is inside a database on your host. This usually means taking the .sql file and uploading it via your hosting control panel into a database you have created, via something like phpMyAdmin in your control panel. The Converter FAQ that I linked to earlier explains all of this in more detail.

Once you have done this, you'll be able to start the conversion properly.
Lutten

Post by Lutten »

My current host is a free host. So I can't upload any files.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

In that case you're going to find it basically impossible to convert your old board to your new board. You'd have to ask your phpBB3 host if they are able to convert it for you onto their systems, chances are they can't/won't.

Unfortunately the only way would be to find a decent paid for host, install phpBB3 yourself and then convert your IPB database to phpBB.
Lutten

Post by Lutten »

Thanks. I shall go with you.
Lutten

Post by Lutten »

Hi. I downloaded and installed the convertor. Then I ran the convertor. It asks a path for my board. What should be path? Should it be path of the SQL file? Should the sql file be in .gz format?

Help please.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

The path has to do with the address to your IPB board. The converter expects the relative path to your old board's files. So, - for instance - if the old board is located at http://www.yourdomain.com/forum and the phpBB3 installation is located at http://www.yourdomain.com/phpBB3, then the correct value would be ../forum. Note that the webserver user must be able to access the source installation's files.

Also, have a read of Convert How To.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”