Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter?

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
dforum

Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter?

Post by dforum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I've gone through the forum via search on this one and found a lot on Vanilla 1 to phpBB2 and even Vanilla 2 to phpBB2 but really nothing on Vanilla 2 to phpBB3 - which is of course what I'm looking for!

I did find this https://github.com/WWWebWizard/Vanilla2-to-phpBB3

But to be honest it's a little beyond me.

Does anyone know how to do this?

prototech
Former Team Member

Re: Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter?

Post by prototech » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

Nice find! It does seem to work from the two or three topics that I had to test with. :P

So in order to run it, you first have to install phpBB. If you are using an authentication method other than the default password method that ships with Vanilla by default, you will need to install the AlternateLogin MOD prior to converting. Otherwise, you should be fine. The password for the test user that I used did work after converting using Vanilla's default authentication method.

Once you have phpBB installed, create a convert/ directory inside of the phpBB directory. Make sure that it is writable as the script stores some information in the directory during conversion. Download the files from the repository and put them in convert/. Open common.php and add the relevant database details for your Vanilla board. You may also need to add define('PHPBB_DB_NEW_LINK', true); to van2phpbb.php after include( "./common.php" ); as I encountered a problem with the phpBB database connection conflicting with the Vanilla database connection due to me using the same database user for both databases.

Then download ADOdb, extract the files, and move them under convert/adodb/. So the path to adodb.inc.php should be convert/adodb/adodb.inc.php. Once that's done, you're ready to start the conversion -- simply run van2phpbb.php.

Note that I did a brief test, so there may be other problems that I did not notice. Please let me know if you have any success. :)
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.

dforum

Post by dforum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am

And there I was thinking no one would know about this :D

Thank you for the extreme detail you went to in replying. Followed it verbatim and it worked!

Interestingly it did not move over users who were registered but never posted anything. That doesn't effect me as it's a small forum but might be worth noting for anyone else reading this.

Meanwhile everything else migrated across perfectly.

Thank you once again!

BTW a moderator or someone might want to move that Vanilla 2 to phpBB3 scripts/solution to the Convertors sticky

rollrk4h

Post by rollrk4h » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Hey guys,

Fatal error: Call to a member function session_begin() on a non-object in /home/vito/www/subvito.eu/phpBB3/van2phpbb.php on line 25

Do u know anybody whats the problem? :/

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 am

rollrk4h wrote:Hey guys,

Fatal error: Call to a member function session_begin() on a non-object in /home/vito/www/subvito.eu/phpBB3/van2phpbb.php on line 25

Do u know anybody whats the problem? :/
you were supposed to create a new folder in the phpBB3 folder to put all the conversion files in.

you apparently did not do that since your error is showing the van2phpbb.php file in the phpBB3 folder.

go back and read the instructions again and put whatever files they tell you to in a new folder you create in the phpBB3 folder and try it again.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

fasoncho

Post by fasoncho » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:42 pm

I have a vanilla forum in Bulgarian, hence in Cyrilic, when I tried to convert this is the message I get (It transferred all the users but not a single topic):

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xCF\xF0\xE0\xE2\xE8\xEB...' for column 'forum_name' at row 1 [1366]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_forums (parent_id, left_id, right_id, forum_parents, forum_name, forum_desc, forum_desc_bitfield, forum_desc_options, forum_desc_uid, forum_link, forum_password, forum_style, forum_image, forum_rules, forum_rules_link, forum_rules_bitfield, forum_rules_options, forum_rules_uid, forum_topics_per_page, forum_type, forum_status, forum_posts, forum_topics, forum_topics_real, forum_last_post_id, forum_last_poster_id, forum_last_post_subject, forum_last_post_time, forum_last_poster_name, forum_last_poster_colour, forum_flags, display_on_index, enable_indexing, enable_icons, enable_prune, prune_next, prune_days, prune_viewed, prune_freq) VALUES (1, 5, 6, '', '������� �� ������', '������� �� �������� � �������� ��� ������ �� �������� ����������', '', 7, '', '', '', 0, '', '', '', '', 7, '', 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, '', 0, '', '', 32, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)

BACKTRACE
FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/db/dbal.php
LINE: 754
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 182
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/convert/van2phpbb.php
LINE: 193
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

LINE: 936
CALL: addNewForum()

LINE: 722
CALL: van2phpbb->migrateCategories()

LINE: 1348
CALL: van2phpbb->van2phpbb()
Any idea?

bill1082

Post by bill1082 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 am

using this method here

first, got some errors that the user passwords were too long. i increased the size of that

process starts to run through, gets a good chunk of users moved over, then i get a generic 500 Internal Server Error.

Anyone else come across this? Would really love to start using phpbb soon.

phpbb - 3.0.11
vanilla - 2.0.18.4

chromadile

Post by chromadile » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Bump.

I'd love to use this script too, but like bill1082 I'm also having problems. In my case when I run the script it runs for a good amount of time, then stops suddenly and shows this error:

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

MySQL server has gone away [2006]

SQL

SELECT username FROM phpbb_users WHERE username_clean = 'smithsupport'

BACKTRACE

LINE: 757

LINE: 182

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_user.php
LINE: 1515

LINE: 95
CALL: validate_username()

LINE: 816
CALL: checkInvalidUser()

LINE: 703
CALL: van2phpbb->migrateUsers()

LINE: 1348
When I check my phpBB install later it looks like the users have been transferred (so far as I can tell), but absolutely no posts have been transferred.

I'd sincerely appreciate any advice, I'm already pretty much at the limit of my php skills here.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 pm

the error say that the database stopped working. you will need to contact your host.

robert

Carla83

Post by Carla83 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 am

Hello everyone, after weeks of trying different forums and moving them from a cms to another, I came to your service which is my last chance to get exactly what I need. So now I'm trying to convert a Vanilla 2.1.1 to Phpbb 3.0.12 and the converter listed above seems to be outdated. I get this error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Data too long for column 'user_password' at row 1 [1406]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (username, username_clean, user_password, user_pass_convert, user_email, user_email_hash, group_id, user_type, user_permissions, user_timezone, user_dateformat, user_lang, user_style, user_actkey, user_ip, user_regdate, user_passchg, user_options, user_new, user_inactive_reason, user_inactive_time, user_lastmark, user_lastvisit, user_lastpost_time, user_lastpage, user_posts, user_dst, user_colour, user_occ, user_interests, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_avatar_width, user_avatar_height, user_new_privmsg, user_unread_privmsg, user_last_privmsg, user_message_rules, user_full_folder, user_emailtime, user_notify, user_notify_pm, user_notify_type, user_allow_pm, user_allow_viewonline, user_allow_viewemail, user_allow_massemail, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_sig_bbcode_bitfield, user_form_salt) VALUES ('test', 'test', 'sha1$test$e33c37220e35d04ba7bdc11448c98e0f257ea5c1', 0, 'gdfgd@gmail.com', '379114041915', 2, 0, '', '1.00', 'd M Y H:i', 'en', 1, '7dbdc16c', '', '1408548129', 1409011341, 230271, 0, 0, 0, 1409011341, '1408786190', 0, '', 0, 0, '', '', '', '', 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, '', '', '', '56c166fd46f4672a')

BACKTRACE

LINE: 754

LINE: 189

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_user.php
LINE: 250

LINE: 75
CALL: user_add()

LINE: 825
CALL: addNewUser()

LINE: 702
CALL: van2phpbb->migrateUsers()

LINE: 1347

Can anyone please help in fixing this one?

Alternatively i can try converting this same forum from SMF 2.0.8. in there is an updated converter, which seems I'm not able to find.
I need this fixed because of working needs, so any help would be really really appreciated :)

Thanks!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm

from the error , it seems that the password hashes that you are trying to convert are too long for the place in the convertor that uses them.

I don't know exactly how to do it, but you would need to increase the size of that field in the convertor as the person who posted a couple of spots above you did.

robert

Carla83

Post by Carla83 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for your support!
Finally I managed to import my forum using the smf converter and everything went smoot :geek:

soadeathdealer

Post by soadeathdealer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:00 am

getting the passwords are to long as well how do you increase it

soadeathdealer

Post by soadeathdealer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:48 am

bill1082 wrote:using this method here

first, got some errors that the user passwords were too long. i increased the size of that

process starts to run through, gets a good chunk of users moved over, then i get a generic 500 Internal Server Error.

Anyone else come across this? Would really love to start using phpbb soon.

phpbb - 3.0.11
vanilla - 2.0.18.4
How did you increase the size?

merged:
well it seems like this will work for me once i fix the user passwords were too long error
Last edited by bonelifer on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't double post. Edit you first post unless someone has already posted.

oasselin

Post by oasselin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:30 pm

I got the users to transfer ok but for some reason discussions arent making it across :

something to do with categories?

Moving Thread Posts
CatMap Error: ID: 4
CatMap Error: ID: 3
CatMap Error: ID: 3
CatMap Error: ID: 6