[CONVERT] Forumotion importer

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
carsten88888

[CONVERT] Forumotion importer

Post by carsten88888 »

We've had a lovely hobby forum for years, but when we were ready to move our free-hosted forum to our own website, the host of the free forum did not want to give us, or sell us, the database. We were willing to pay for our own content, but as we could not buy it, we felt like our content was taken hostage. So I scripted this import script to reclaim our own content.

FORUMOTION IMPORTER v1.0.1
januari 2015

How it works:
1. download the old forum as HTML with HTTrack Website Copier from http://www.httrack.com
2. upload this script to the new forum
3. upload the HTML files
4. run the script.

It will loop through all the html and insert the forums, topics, posts and users (but no passwords! see 11).

Step-by-step:
1. login to your old forum and set your profile date format to '2015-01-13, 14:16' and language to english.

2. login to the admin panel (ACP) on the old forum and copy-paste all the users (select whole username+email column) into a spreadsheet. You can then add a column containing just a comma (,) between the username and email column. Then copy-paste to configuration.php at $usernames_emails, so you get a list with usernames and emails, each on a new line, like this:
donald_duck,[email protected]
Scrooge_McDuck,[email protected]

3. download the old forum as HTML with HTTrack from http://www.httrack.com. Enter your login in the program so it uses the english language and the dateformat as set at 1. This will produce a folder(a). One of the folders inside will have the domainname of the forum (b). This folder contains all the html pages of each page of your forum.

4. edit configuration.php.
$folder = name of folder (a).
$folder_site = name of the folder containing the html files, folder (b)

5. edit helper.php. Enter the database details of the new forum.

6. upload this script to the new forum. The folder '_import' in the root.

7. upload the folder (a) into folder '_import'.

8. BACKUP YOUR DATABASE. Seriously. Backup the database of the new forum. The script is going to insert loads of data.

9. empty the tables forums, topics and posts using PHP myadmin.

10. delete all users you don't need. Make sure you leave 1 administrator (as all users are imported as normal users).

11. run the script. point your browser to yourdomain.com/_import/index.php and click 'start import'. This can take a while.

12. delete folder '_import' from the server

13. the users will be in the database, but not their passwords. You will have to send a mailing so all users so they can reset their password in the new forum.
Attachments
_import.zip
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: [CONVERT] Forumotion importer

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

never mind

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
perez51

Post by perez51 »

Thank you very much , tests ...
You could send me forum Exported you ?
Jigoku88

Post by Jigoku88 »

I would like to know if this really works.
Because yet i tried. I've got only my categories and forums in my DB. Not users or topics/message.
So is there a new conversion to do or something ?
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

It works fine. I would not have posted this converter if I had not succesfully converted our own forum with this.

If you open the forum and don't see the number of posts, don't be alarmed, they are in there, but the numbers are only updated after someone posts in them (or someone writes an extra script to update those numbers).
Jigoku88

Post by Jigoku88 »

Thanks for the quick answer but i got this. I think it's ok.

But i'm a little bit worried.
I 've done it many times and nothing happens.
Is there a problem with my capture with HTTTrack ?
I've only downloaded posts, topics and catégories, not the ACP from FM and i exclude moderation buttons

The problem with the file is that it is a link to watch the topic.
Attachments
import.PNG
HelpToTransfer

Post by HelpToTransfer »

After I've failed with crawler I've tried your method but still without any luck. Done everything as described in instructions up until the very end, and this is what I get:

After pressing start import nothing really happens, it didn't even add categories and forums as in Jigoku88 case, complete zero changes. Any ideas?
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

did you manage to download the site with HTTTrack? If so, can you browse it ofline and see the users-pages?
HelpToTransfer

Post by HelpToTransfer »

carsten88888 wrote:did you manage to download the site with HTTTrack? If so, can you browse it ofline and see the users-pages?
Yes, all pages were downloaded by HTTTrack. And nope I can't browse user pages offline as to view them and many other downloaded pages it asks me to login and if I do it redirects to the forum page.
Seems like I got the problem, just checked the code of those pages and seems like all the pages that require login are just a login form + links + template, that should mean that HTTTrack failed to login with provided admin account, but then I have no idea how could it dig deep enough to get all pages without it (unless it somehow browses server and not the links).

Anyway thanks for pointing out, is there something similar to HTTrack or is there a possibility to provide it cookie with login info or something like that? Thanks again for helping me out :D
Dragosvr92
Name: Dragos Valentin Rădulescu

Post by Dragosvr92 »

A convertor exists for over six years. viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505
Formerly known as TheKiller
3.0| Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3
HelpToTransfer

Post by HelpToTransfer »

Dragosvr92 wrote:A convertor exists for over six years. viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505
Have you tried to read last few pages? Btw there is my comment as well, and TS made this script and this thread just because he failed to migrate with that one as well.
HelpToTransfer

Post by HelpToTransfer »

Well I finally managed to get whole forum, script recognize amount of users, though it still does nothing on Start import button click.
beza

Post by beza »

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/profiles/b/be/bez/beza02/mortis22.cba.pl/../common.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lib/php') in /profiles/b/be/bez/beza02/mortis22.cba.pl/script_users.php on line 60
Any solutions? :( I'm trying to move from forumotion for few days. Nothing really works. ;''(

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”