[BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
onlinebisnes

Re: [BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Post by onlinebisnes »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: onlinebizness: the convertor is being tripped up by those star characters, which I'm not sure even fit in UTF8. I would go into the SMF board and delete that topic if it isn't critical.
Yes, you are right.
that day I figure it out and delete all the topics that has those kind of characters via phpmyadmin.
and the conversion manage to finished.

as fas as now all looking great. thanks.
keshavdutt

Post by keshavdutt »

when i run this convertor what will be the path to my main forum my smf is installed at www.123.com and phpbb is installed at phpbb.123.com/phpbb3 can u please help and would u also tell whne i convert will where will it store the converted data the db used by phpbb or the one used by smf because i first want to convert to phpbb then get to know a bit before making it my default board :geek: :geek: :geek:

Please help
ron273

Post by ron273 »

OK,

The conversion went smoothly(SMF 1.1.7 -> PHPBB 3.0.3), but I discovered that I need to login with the SMF Real Name instead of the Loginname. I would like to alter this, as all our users expect to use their login name.
Can I just synchronize the username & username_clean with the login_name field?

I used:

Code: Select all

ALTER phpbb_users set username = login_name
ALTER phpbb_users set username_clean = login_name
It seems to work, but do I break something else?

Cheers,

Ronald
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

when i run this convertor what will be the path to my main forum my smf is installed at www.123.com and phpbb is installed at phpbb.123.com/phpbb3
So your board will be at phpbb.123.com/phpbb3. You can move it after the conversion if you want.
would u also tell whne i convert will where will it store the converted data the db used by phpbb or the one used by smf because i first want to convert to phpbb then get to know a bit before making it my default board
The convertor will not affect your SMF board. They will use different databases, and will not conflict with each other.

ron273: That might cause some difficulties, because username_clean is supposed to be ... "clean" -- meaning lower-case with no utf8 symbols. The first query setting the login_name to the username should not be a problem.

The way I wrote the convertor, users should be able to log in either with their SMF real name or their public username. I'm a little confused why that won't work for you :?
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
keshavdutt

Post by keshavdutt »

here is a image 8-)
http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 240es1.jpg

i am not asking what will be my board after the onversion i wanted to what path do i enter in conversion software :)

my main site is http://www.123.com
phpbbis installed at http://www.phpbb.123.com/phpbb3

please help me :ugeek:
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I'm afraid I can't tell you that. It depends on your web hosting setup ... since you've used a subdomain, there may not be a valid path. If this were my web host, it would simply be ../../phpbb/phpbb3 but your host may be different.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
keshavdutt

Post by keshavdutt »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I'm afraid I can't tell you that. It depends on your web hosting setup ... since you've used a subdomain, there may not be a valid path. If this were my web host, it would simply be ../../phpbb/phpbb3 but your host may be different.
so what should i do to resolve this problem :?: :?: :?: :?:
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

keshavdutt wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I'm afraid I can't tell you that. It depends on your web hosting setup ... since you've used a subdomain, there may not be a valid path. If this were my web host, it would simply be ../../phpbb/phpbb3 but your host may be different.
so what should i do to resolve this problem :?: :?: :?: :?:
You have two options:
  1. Install phpBB3 at http://www.123.com/phpBB3. After the conversion, you can move phpBB3 to http://www.phpbb.123.com/phpbb3.
    You will need to change the phpBB board settings for the move, server_name, script_path, cookie domain.
  2. Move, or copy, the SMF files to http://www.phpbb.123.com/smf and run the convertor. SMF does not need to be operational. phpBB only needs to look at the files.
    After the conversion, you simply delete the http://www.phpbb.123.com/smf folder. No further changes are needed.
Have you hugged someone today?
ron273

Post by ron273 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: ron273: That might cause some difficulties, because username_clean is supposed to be ... "clean" -- meaning lower-case with no utf8 symbols. The first query setting the login_name to the username should not be a problem.

The way I wrote the convertor, users should be able to log in either with their SMF real name or their public username. I'm a little confused why that won't work for you :?
Hmm, not sure either. The autentication method is still set at smf. Is that correct?
For every SMF login_name it says: "username not found". With real names no problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ronald
keshavdutt

Post by keshavdutt »

ron273 wrote:OK,

The conversion went smoothly(SMF 1.1.7 -> PHPBB 3.0.3), but I discovered that I need to login with the SMF Real Name instead of the Loginname. I would like to alter this, as all our users expect to use their login name.
Can I just synchronize the username & username_clean with the login_name field?

I used:

ALTER phpbb_users set username_clean = login_name
It seems to work, but do I break something else?

Cheers,

Ronald

i am also having the same exact problem i converted by board without any problem but i have to use my display name to login and username ....anysolution :roll: :roll:
ron273

Post by ron273 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: ron273: That might cause some difficulties, because username_clean is supposed to be ... "clean" -- meaning lower-case with no utf8 symbols. The first query setting the login_name to the username should not be a problem.
Ok, but somehow only changing username won't work. There seems to be a dependency to username_clean.
And what if I try this:

ALTER phpbb_users set username_clean = LOWER(login_name)
This would take care of the lowercase bit I guess. That will only leave UTF8 symbols.

Can you tell me what happens when there are UTF8 symbols in username_clean?

Thanks in advance.

Ronald
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

ron273,

Don't go messing with username_clean. It may cause problems with future registrations and logging in with usernames.

There is a bug in the auth_smf.php included with the download in the first post. Use the auth_smf.php in this post and it should fix the problem of logging in with login_names.
Mr.AmiT

Post by Mr.AmiT »

Working on SMF 1.1.0?
phpBB.co.il
phpBB Israel.

Thanks.
Amit.
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

Mr.AmiT wrote:Working on SMF 1.1.0?
It should. Try it and see. Your SMF database will not be harmed if it doesn't work.
Sisem

Post by Sisem »

Problem with Private Messages.

I've done a full conversion which has gone very well, except for the private messages.

The inbox is fine, all messages are stored as expected.

The outbox tho has a number in brackets in the folder list to indicate there are messages waiting to be sent, but there are no messages in that outbox.

The sentbox had a load of messages all saying "this message has been deleted by the user beore being read" which I have no idea what they were.

How can this be resolved? I can't do the conversion again as it's now on a live site, I decided the PM's were not too much of an issue, but would be good to fix.

I'm happy, and have done, to delete the ones in the sentbox which already show as deleted, but how can it get the outbox to not show a number of messages which are not there.

Thanks

Nick

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”