[BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Get Involved
mrtrick

Re: [BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Post by mrtrick »

I see no readme in the zip. I'm newly returning to phpbb3 from smf and feel like a complete n00b. How do I run this converter after I upload it to the appropriate directories?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

dkarlovi wrote:I'm running the second conversion and it crossed my mind:
- could this code get transfered in a form of a CLI PHP script, it should run much smoother like that and it's easier to renice it or leave it running on the server overnight when the load is lower
- it would be nice if it would print out progress, but with end values, "10854 out of 71312 complete" is much more informative then just "10854 complete"

As I said, great work indeed, I'm really thrilled with phpBB3's options once it got some data in there.
Well, this convertor is based on the phpBB Unified Convertor Framework. The phpBB developers would have to handle those requests :)
mrtrick wrote:I see no readme in the zip. I'm newly returning to phpbb3 from smf and feel like a complete n00b. How do I run this converter after I upload it to the appropriate directories?
After you upload the files, you go to http://www.example.com/phpBB3/install. There will be a tab labeled "Convert". Click that. Then you'll need to choose to convert from SMF to phpBB3. Make sure all of the settings on the next page are correct (it will tell you if they are not). Then the conversion occurs, and you simply need to wait for it to complete. :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
mrtrick

Post by mrtrick »

my install is at forum.mydomain.com, so if I go to forum.mydomain.com/install I get a directory listing of converters and then if I go in there I get a listing of the two php files.

I have a feeling I'm being an idiot. I truly apologize. :oops:
oojacoboo

Post by oojacoboo »

try this url...

forum.mydomain.com/install/index.php
mrtrick

Post by mrtrick »

Ah, this assumes that the original install directory still exists. Is that correct?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Yes, that is correct :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
mrtrick

Post by mrtrick »

Thanks!

See, I told you I was a n00b. :mrgreen:
mrtrick

Post by mrtrick »

This will not remove or alter my existing SMF database correct?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Yes, that is correct.
A Donut's Blog
lockelymarkets

Post by lockelymarkets »

7earitup wrote:lockely, You are using the new Beta 2 of the converter script, correct?
Yup im using the Beta 2, well its the one linked on the first post :D
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
lockelymarkets wrote:Hello, I am converting my SMF board to phpBB3, and im having issues :?
I get the following error: :o
[snip]
I have SMF 1.1.4 and am wishing to convert it to phpBB3 RC7. :|

It appears that you are running an older version of MySQL (than 5.0.x). I'm looking into a fix for you :)
Okie dokie thsnks ;)
oojacoboo

Post by oojacoboo »

everything appeared to go smooth with the conversion now. However, I can't seem to locate the attachments, they didn't get moved over. Also, I don't really see them in the former forum either... But they are there, b/c they are loading still in the other forum.

What needs to be done to get all the attachments properly transferred over. I have sshed into the server and cp the */attachments/* files to the /images/files/ folder. Am I missing something? Do the posts have to be reprocessed or anything? Thanks.
dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

OK, I think I found a bug: my topic is called "Po čemu ćete pamtiti danas" (it croatian, never mind) and the first post's title is indeed that, but when browsing the board with that topic, all I get is "Po " (yes, it gets chopped right in the "local char"). Same thing for group names (but those are much easier to fix).

Also, I don't really understand how the topic gets its title. My first post is called "Što bi sada rekli nekome?", but my topic is called "Odg: " (equivalent to "Re: ") which exhibits the bug above but also topics get wrong names. I'm guessing it's due to SMF not having seperate topic and message (with them, topic is a group of messages) and phpBB3 does.

My forum was iso-8859-2, if it helps.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

oojacoboo wrote:everything appeared to go smooth with the conversion now. However, I can't seem to locate the attachments, they didn't get moved over. Also, I don't really see them in the former forum either... But they are there, b/c they are loading still in the other forum.

What needs to be done to get all the attachments properly transferred over. I have sshed into the server and cp the */attachments/* files to the /images/files/ folder. Am I missing something? Do the posts have to be reprocessed or anything? Thanks.
The attachments should go into {phpBB3_root_directory}/files, not images/files.
Have you hugged someone today?
oojacoboo

Post by oojacoboo »

Dicky, thats where I put them... I was just a little confused. Also, the attachments coming from SMF have that cryptic ending on them. For instance...

7_dashboard_zip0436b8b256cd2cab6c7dac4480b792ff

obviously thats dashboard.zip. However, SMF does these files differently... How is phpBB3 importing these into the db, and what can we do about the format to make them compatible? Thanks!
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

SMF can store attachments in either encrypted or unencrypted format. Glancing quickly through the convertor, it looks like the encrypted version is not being converted. I will have to look into it further to be sure.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”